Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AFLX Is anyone going?

Veteran Site Admin
    The article on the AFL site, quoted above, states that few of the senior players will play. It also says Heeney won't play (which isn't surprising, given he recently had knee surgery).

I can't see Hanners playing. I think he's on the sidelines at the moment. I'd also be surprised if Rohan were available, given his recent pre-season history.

There's no reason to pick just one team, either. I think they can involve different players in the two matches. I'd certainly like to see more of the fringe players get a chance. I mentioned Rose above, but Dawson, Aliir, Cameron, COR are others on the cusp of senior consideration who I'd love to get an early 2018 glimpse of. And it would be good to see how Hewett goes as the main man in the centre without Kennedy there. He also looked very sharp at training last week.

Didn't read the article (clearly). I still like the team I selected although concede in what you have pointed out it's not going to be the one that runs out.

Yes, I'd like to see COR. Also players like Dawson, Newman, Aliir, maybe even Ronke out of our young talent team.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Similar things were said about Big Bash ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    At least that resembles cricket......

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I can't believe nobody else has had a ping at selecting a team yet!
    It's because no one cares......bring on a real footy season.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Similar things were said about Big Bash ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    The problem with this is that yes it might steal a few fans from soccer, as the AFL's main motivation is this caper, but the died in the wool AFL fans, like me, will never accept it.

Big Bash is different. It took a boring, dreary, tedious (how many other derogatory send to sleep words are there) game and turned it into a spectacle

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Star Swan may lead from the back in AFLX - AFL.com.au

Here's some news about the players we're likely to see (and those we won't) in the AFLX.

Although I'm lukewarm about the concept, it will be a chance to see how some of the younger guys go without the senior blokes around. Even where the newbies get a chance in the NAB thingy (or whatever it's called nowadays), they're usually just bit part players. There'll be nowhere to hide in the AFLX, so anyone who does get a gig will have to pull their weight.

One player I hope we see a bit of is James Rose. Last pre-season he seemed to be running laps on his own for pretty much the entire three months (and with an obvious lack of enthusiasm). When I dropped along to watch a bit of training last week, he was involved with the main group and his ability to spot - and hit - a target 50m away on the "fat side" of the ground was a highlight. If he's improved his fitness and can up his work rate, I think he could be a surprise packet for us this season and I'd love to get an early glimpse of him in the AFLX.
    He has to improve his two way running and realise that a free from a tackle in the area between CHF and centre can lead to a goal. Not to him maybe but due to his efforts. If he can fix this problem he will be a sensational player. The reason young Will Hayward passed him by was due to Will's willingness to chase And tackle

Didn't read the article (clearly). I still like the team I selected although concede in what you have pointed out it's not going to be the one that runs out.

Yes, I'd like to see COR. Also players like Dawson, Newman, Aliir, maybe even Ronke out of our young talent team.
    I think the team will be teams not team and then a combination of players of on the different teams. The club has stated that many senior players will not play. Reg, Macca, Kizza, JPK, Hannas, Gazza, Big Sammy, Sam, Smithy, Buddy are all not playing. Ramps will play and so will Lukie according to the website.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    The problem with this is that yes it might steal a few fans from soccer, as the AFL's main motivation is this caper, but the died in the wool AFL fans, like me, will never accept it.

Big Bash is different. It took a boring, dreary, tedious (how many other derogatory send to sleep words are there) game and turned it into a spectacle

First class cricket is still the only form of the game that matters or particularly interests me. If you think test match cricket this century has been generally "boring, dreary, tedious" then we have been watching a different game or you have been exceedingly unfortunate in your selection of matches watched.

At this stage AFLX is just a concept and a fairly meaningless one. That will change quickly when games start being played. Clearly it will be a different game to aussie rules football but it may be of interest, particularly when it happens in the off-season and features our favourite players while we are pining for the actual footy season to start. If nothing else, it will this season have some novelty value.

First class cricket is still the only form of the game that matters or particularly interests me. If you think test match cricket this century has been generally "boring, dreary, tedious" then we have been watching a different game or you have been exceedingly unfortunate in your selection of matches watched.

At this stage AFLX is just a concept and a fairly meaningless one. That will change quickly when games start being played. Clearly it will be a different game to aussie rules football but it may be of interest, particularly when it happens in the off-season and features our favourite players while we are pining for the actual footy season to start. If nothing else, it will this season have some novelty value.
    No I was saying all other cricket is tedious but 20/20 is bearable. I no longer like or watch cricket. I used to play fervently as a kid. Watched that famous woman fast bowler, Lillyn Thompson, stayed up to watch Massey throttle England on their own turf. Saw Warnie bowl his first ball in test cricket then mesmerize the POM's.

I don't like cricketer's attitude, they are boorish and I have plenty of experience of them from serving them at The Junction Oval. I lost interest in the game and more importantly the personalities that inhabit the game.

On AFLX, it isn't cricket. It isn't generally played on an oblong. Dawson could luck a goal from full back, just give him the ball and let him do his thing, he could kick 100 goals in 5 games. It's a pathetic concept, badly though out or not thought our more like because it was McLachlan's stupid idea. It will fail because it's a crappy idea.

Who knows how AFLX will be received?
    I like that they are trying something.
    If it works, great, if now, cool.

As for cricket, yeah, I've never really been able to do a test unless it's on a knife's edge halfway through the last day.
    When I was a kid, one dayers came out and they were it.
    35 degree day, and watching the cricket in the airconditioned lounge before heading out for a swim at half time and at the end of the game.
    Now however, one day games pretty much bore me.
    They're a 'nothing' - inbetween a test and a 20/20
    They will die first.
    Already Australia is releasing players for the Big bash finals.

The Big Bash in interesting to me.
    It has made state cricket popular.
    Yet Sheffield Shield never was.
    I don't even watch the Australian 20/20 games.
    Once the Big Bash is over, so is my cricket year.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

This time of year is so slow when it comes to footy and Swans, we really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for topics.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Cricket has two main problems, they play too much to the point that fans cant possibly consume all of it.

Second, there has been no worthwhile domestic competition for a long time prior to the big bash. State comps are a joke that the national players(and crowds) tend to avoid where possible. No coverage or competition for up and coming players. The next test openers will be plucked from a 20/20 side which doesnt foster the temperament that is required for the game. If the national team played fewer matches, they'd be available to setup a decent state comp

I can watch 20/20 in the background but tests are the only form I would really follow these days. We got belted in the one day series vs England and literally no one cares.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast