Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AFLX Is anyone going?

AFLX Is anyone going?

Yep, my wife, 6 year old and I will be there. Any excuse to get dressed up in the red and white! I'm looking forward to it.
    Swannies for life!

Veteran Site Admin
    I can't imagine there'll be a big crowd there. Maybe the Melbourne one will attract a decent crowd, given it features six clubs with tribal histories, all based close by. But hard to see anyone travelling from SE Queensland or Melbourne up to Sydney for this. It's even hard to see many tripping up the M4.

Senior Player
    I�ve got quite a few mates ( including gws fans agghhhh) who want to go so we will probably all go together

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Personally: care factor zero.
    My sentiments exactly. Completely pointless concept which should be called 'AFL$'........

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    My sentiments exactly. Completely pointless concept which should be called 'AFL$'........
    Similar things were said about Big Bash ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of going along to Etihad for a look.
    It's Friday after work, so might be a bit of fun. (Even without the Swans)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Similar things were said about Big Bash ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yes, but 20/20 cricket reduced the duration of the one day game, from most of the day, to a few hours. This made attendance much more convenient for many workers, people with families, etc. It also got rid of the often dull middle overs of one day cricket.
    In contrast, AFL already has a convenient duration. Reducing it to two ten minute halves, to me, just makes it trivial and largely pointless. Also, if you go to the venue and want to see all your team's games, you'll have to sit through games, in which your team isn't involved. Which seems to be introducing quite a few dull bits.

Veteran Site Admin
    Star Swan may lead from the back in AFLX - AFL.com.au

Here's some news about the players we're likely to see (and those we won't) in the AFLX.

Although I'm lukewarm about the concept, it will be a chance to see how some of the younger guys go without the senior blokes around. Even where the newbies get a chance in the NAB thingy (or whatever it's called nowadays), they're usually just bit part players. There'll be nowhere to hide in the AFLX, so anyone who does get a gig will have to pull their weight.

One player I hope we see a bit of is James Rose. Last pre-season he seemed to be running laps on his own for pretty much the entire three months (and with an obvious lack of enthusiasm). When I dropped along to watch a bit of training last week, he was involved with the main group and his ability to spot - and hit - a target 50m away on the "fat side" of the ground was a highlight. If he's improved his fitness and can up his work rate, I think he could be a surprise packet for us this season and I'd love to get an early glimpse of him in the AFLX.

Veterans List
    Interesting observation aboute Rose. I was a big fan a couple of years ago when I saw him play a NEAFL game (pre senior debut) and he looked a class above.

Seems to have gone backwards since his stunning debut quarter so really hoping it clicks for him this year, or it's delisting time.

There's talk of McCartin being picked. If so, I wonder if this is because Buddy will be sitting it out. Tom is no Buddy but he will bring his own excitement. Apparently JPK is also not going to play.

If we substitute McCartin for Buddy and omit JPK, who should we pick?

I'm thinking: Rampe, Melican, Lloyd, Parker, Hanners, Papley, Towers (for his rucking!), McCartin, Rohan and Heeney. Jeez, that was harder than I expected. A lot of people left out. Can't believe Towers made the cut but I didn't want to select an actual ruckman. Aliir a real alternative option. What do others think? I can't believe nobody else has had a ping at selecting a team yet!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast