Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: McCartin!!

McCartin!!

As best I can tell, Tom McCartin does not yet have his own thread. Given the building hype, it's time to start one.

Tom is the younger brother of Patrick (#1 draft pick 2014 national draft) and Charles (middle brother, plays footy but not sure where - never drafted). Tom was born 30 December 1999 (possibly the last AFL listed player to be born in the 1900s??). The Swans drafted Tom with pick #33 2017 national draft. Here are links to a couple of profiles published about Tom before the draft:

Tom McCartin – AFL Draft Central
    2017 AFL Draft prospects: Tom McCartin | Zero Hanger

The consensus pre-draft was that Tom McCartin was an agile, strong-marking KPF prospect with a big tank, good vertical jump and good below his knees. The knocks on him were his goal kicking (kicked 9.18 from 11 games) and his consistency. His bottom aged pre-draft year was blighted by injury so he missed the 2016 season and 2017 pre-season. It was also noted that he grew 11 centimetres (from 182 to 193cm) in the nearly two years pre-draft and he was still adjusting to having such a different body.

Given that he is a KPF and the promise he has shown, and noting his late birth date (a favourite route of Kinnear Beatson to pick up a draft bargain), we were all pleased and excited to pick him up at #33 because it's pretty hard to get a good KPF prospect by that stage of the draft and hopes blossomed that we may have picked up a bargain.

Anyway, the story continues. He has joined the club, is due to be studying Year 12 this year (where? how?) but is already making a real impression in pre-season training.

First, our own O'Reilly Boy drops in on pre-season training and makes the following observation:

"The big surprise for me was McCartin, who looked really at home. Rampe was playing on him, but McCartin looked composed and confident, running to space and demanding the ball. May challenge for a spot. Stoddard looked like he was still finding his place, but was getting plenty of encouragement and was looking for opportunities to get involved."

Then Adam Curley from afl.com.au nominates as Tom as the new recruit making the (equal) biggest impression in pre-season so far:

McCartin has an exceptional pair of hands and has impressed the coaches with his aggression at the ball and his bodywork for such a young player.

Now, Dane Rampe has come out and said:

"I really like the way Tommy has gone about it.

"I don't know if it's the benefits of growing up with older brothers but he looks ready made.

"That's probably a little bit too much pressure to put on him but he looks comfortable with the physicality of it, and I think that's a big tick for someone coming in so young.

"Obviously it's going to be a pretty hard team to break into but we've really liked what we've seen so far."

And there is talk he may be selected for AFLX.

Let it be said, the bandwagon has started rolling. There's room for plenty aboard.

Only 5306 posts to overtake the Tippett!! thread.

That's the spirit!

- - - Updated - - -

Succession planning in action.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Only 5306 posts to overtake the Tippett!! thread.
    He has to be loved by some and hated by others before he can reached the standard set by the Tippett thread.
    He has done nothing to be hated on yet. So it will be a hard slog.

Senior Player
    Last guy I saw at pre season who impressed me this much was a brand new Luke Parker.

Veterans List
    Let's be sensible here, it is his first preseason and has done nothing yet and still has to complete Year 12. We may have burnt a valuable pick we could have used on a midfielder.

But let's get carried away because he's just turned 18, is a KPF and is impressing everybody they interview at the club and has tremendous upside! Beatson outsmarts them again!

Woo hoo, all aboard!

Senior Player
    Here is my take on mcartin. I�ve really liked what I�ve seen on the draft footage. He looks like a contested mark beast which is something we�ve missed as neither buddy nor tippo were great above their heads.

If his kicking can be improved then he will be a terrific key forward.

If however his kicking doesn�t get better then I actually think he would be an amazing intercept half back defender. Think west coast Jeremy McGovern. Amazing contested mark.

Very exciting.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Here is my take on mcartin. I�ve really liked what I�ve seen on the draft footage. He looks like a contested mark beast which is something we�ve missed as neither buddy nor tippo were great above their heads.

If his kicking can be improved then he will be a terrific key forward.

If however his kicking doesn�t get better then I actually think he would be an amazing intercept half back defender. Think west coast Jeremy McGovern. Amazing contested mark.

Very exciting.
    You sound like you could be talking about Reid. Maybe "beast" isn't quite appropriate but he's a more than decent contested mark.

Did remind me a little of a young Nick Riewoldt

Well we are going to need a thread to replace the Tippo thread, so good to start now I guess

Sounds promising with McCartin, hopefully he can have a good pre-season for us.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    He has to be loved by some and hated by others before he can reached the standard set by the Tippett thread.
    He has done nothing to be hated on yet. So it will be a hard slog.
    Would it be a good start if we chucked him in the ruck?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Would it be a good start if we chucked him in the ruck?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast