Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: McCartin!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    Spot on barry. No reason not to complete school. Can start a traineeship or apprenticeship as part of his schooling. I rarely have cause to question the club, especially when it comes to player welfare but this is the second youngster in a year to make this call with the Swans� blessing and -without knowing all the details - I�m not convinced it�s the right call in either case.
    Who was the first?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Who was the first?

Not all kids are academically suited to year 12. There are other paths to good and satisfying jobs if young people are motivated and seeing he was selected by the Swans in the draft, I reckon motivation is probably the least of his troubles.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Not all kids are academically suited to year 12. There are other paths to good and satisfying jobs if young people are motivated and seeing he was selected by the Swans in the draft, I reckon motivation is probably the least of his troubles.
    +1

If this makes him happy then good luck to him.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Bad move. Go and do year 12 son. Footy and a career can wait.
    Schools not for everyone though Barry. There's no use him doing year 12 if he's going to fail.

I think most tradies will learn more from being on the job, especially in situations were they are likely to fail year 12. If they need to learn more about management and business management or decide that it's not the right career path then they can do a certificate or diploma as a mature aged student.

+1

HSC is a holding pen for many. Lots and lots of kids just plod on to the end of HSC in a pretty aimless fashion.

Unless you want to go to Uni and study something that's critical to your end goal what's the point. The skills based stuff at a TAFE shouldn't be viewed as inferior. There are many pathways to tertiary education if he changes his mind.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    +1

HSC is a holding pen for many. Lots and lots of kids just plod on to the end of HSC in a pretty aimless fashion.

Unless you want to go to Uni and study something that's critical to your end goal what's the point. The skills based stuff at a TAFE shouldn't be viewed as inferior. There are many pathways to tertiary education if he changes his mind.
    +1
    I have the same issue with my offspring (Year 12 this year) as he isnt academic, but wants to complete his HSC so that he can say he has done it. He has no idea what he wants to do after that and I dont think Uni will be an option. I used to want him to study hard to get good grades so that he can have lots of options, but it is a different world to when I went to school, and there are a dozen pathways into tertiary qualifications as opposed to the one or two when I did it.
    If McCartin is the same then I have no issue as he can study or learn while he trains (lots of them do it). It is totally contradictory to what it was like when I was at school, but I have had to reconcile myself with that as you can see from the above.

Veterans List
    Spot on barry. No reason not to complete school. Can start a traineeship or apprenticeship as part of his schooling. I rarely have cause to question the club, especially when it comes to player welfare but this is the second youngster in a year to make this call with the Swans� blessing and -without knowing all the details - I�m not convinced it�s the right call in either case.
    The decision was made by Tom with his parents.....all the club did was facilitate the discussion which lead to Tom's own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Bad move. Go and do year 12 son. Footy and a career can wait.
    That's right Barry, throw the 'negative' view on it. Do you ever just 'go with the flow' or do you always know better?

Veterans List
    He is actually getting paid pretty well as an 18 year old AFL player. Maybe he just wants to be a professional footballer. If that's how it is then then we have one dedicated person who wants to succeed. He has plenty of time to think about what he wants to do after footy. How many other players on our list a purely professional footballers.

Warming the Bench
    A number of sound arguments here.... a few ill-informed and irrelevant also it has to be said.

Here�s hoping he has a 15-year playing career and goes on from there.

As a young bloke with a couple of years of guaranteed income and some time on his hands, I would have advised him to hang in and get his Year 12 certificate, which could have included a start on vocational learning/training in a particular trade. The likelihood of failing with the amount of support available would be low.

The extra skills and education would not have hurt him and - believe it or not - having a Year 12 certificate in your folio is still worth a whole lot should things not work out as planned on the footy field.

A number of sound arguments here.... a few ill-informed and irrelevant also it has to be said.

Here�s hoping he has a 15-year playing career and goes on from there.

As a young bloke with a couple of years of guaranteed income and some time on his hands, I would have advised him to hang in and get his Year 12 certificate, which could have included a start on vocational learning/training in a particular trade. The likelihood of failing with the amount of support available would be low.

The extra skills and education would not have hurt him and - believe it or not - having a Year 12 certificate in your folio is still worth a whole lot should things not work out as planned on the footy field.
    Please, let's talk about footy. Presuming to know the ins and outs of players' personal lives is tedious. Plenty of that kind of rubbish over at BigFooty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Please, let's talk about footy. Presuming to know the ins and outs of players' personal lives is tedious. Plenty of that kind of rubbish over at BigFooty.
    +1

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    On that note, knowing the ins and outs of players' personal lives, just wondering if Tom Lynch has signed with Collingwood yet? Over at BF their fans are certain he'll be in black & white next year - to save Buckley's coaching career!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast