Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aflx what we learned

Warming the Bench

aflx what we learned

have just watched 4 players prove that they will never be in swans top 22. Cunningham foote robinson rose .
    newman towers hewett rampe looked good. very impressed with bell another academy product.
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    have just watched 4 players prove that they will never be in swans top 22. Cunningham foote robinson rose .
    newman towers hewett rampe looked good. very impressed with bell another academy product.
    Agreed. It sounds harsh basing this evaluation on a Mickey Mouse game but, like you, I also thought it highlighted the gap between 1st grade players and reserves. I was disappointed not to see Florent given a run. I wanted to see his speed and creativity.

I agree.. tonight, despite being a fitness run.. it still shows that the skill level of some of our "fringe" players is soooooo far off the mark its not funny..

If we are lookong at some of these blokes for first 22 games we are in a bit of trouble in 2018.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    Mickey Mouse game it may be but skill levels, or lack there of, do not lie. I actually made the same assessment on another thread earlier!

Someone made comment O'Riordan was hesitant in his decision making and play. I've watched a replay of the first game and nothing is further from the truth, he makes quick sound decisions with a good level of skill, a keeper.

That was me Re Col

In comparison to the other Swans players out there that are truly competing for a spot in Snrs I think Col is behind the 8 ball

What I look for in an emerging player off the HBF flank re skills

1. Ability to minimise transition pressure situations

2. When distributing the ball have u put your team mate into a superior position with the ball into space .....so the receiving player is looking up at his next move and can make a good decision / pass

I didn�t watch replay but I felt his hand balls in particular were direct to his team mate which caused the team mate to prop....stop........rather then the ball into space allowing the next play to flow

I felt his passes where tentative and a little slow in comparison to sharp and into the space for where the player receiving wants the ball

Positive I thought Col man marked well and tackling was aggressive

We learnt from Hanners in commentary that Ling is injured. I would like the Club to be a bit more open with us about injuries. I realise that they like to play their cards close to their chests and don't want to give anything away, but this came out of the blue.

Went back and looked at GC game with Col

Two stuff up passes he did to Newman under no pressure lead to turnovers

Then totally didn�t pick up his man in a play couple minutes later that lead to a GC goal

Then missed a one on one spoil that lead to Holmans six pointer
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 18th February 2018 at 08:49 AM.

We learned that, we will learn more from proper trial games. Aflx looked like a few players doing training drills.

Veterans List
    Towers has continued his form from last year. He is playing with a lot of confidence.

Cunningham had enough of the ball but turned it over a number of times.

Foote and Rose didn't impress.

Of the younger players was impressed with McCartin, Bell, Fox and O'Riordan.

BT still doesn't know our players...mixed up Hewett and Newman. He must have been disappointed that Llllloooooyd didn't play ????.

If they continue with AFLX then they need to have a longer gap between the last game and the final. Our players were stuffed. Also don't know why we played our most inexperienced team in the final.

Senior Player
    I think we played our Least experienced team in the final because we knew Brisbane would be hungry for a win of any sort and they were playing their experienced team thereby increasing our likelihood of injuries. The other boys had their hit out. Job done

Cunningham has never had great disposal efficiency, but he was horrendous. There was a point where he had 3 consecutive kick ins and turned it over immediately. After the third he wisely gave it up and starting heading upfield so with didn't see a fourth.

Would have like to have seen more of Bell.

McCartin seems likely, but is really 4 years away from Senior Football. Good frame, not much bulk (understandably so).
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    I too was pleasantly surprised by bell. He looked quite poised and creative.

Pretty much agree with the other sentiments. Towers looked clearly the best ( along with ramps in the first game). Hewett and Newman looked very comfortable. Cunningham was serviceable. I liked what I saw from oriorden and like I said bell looked promising along with some encouraging signs from McCartin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast