Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: aflx what we learned

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I too was pleasantly surprised by bell. He looked quite poised and creative.

Pretty much agree with the other sentiments. Towers looked clearly the best ( along with ramps in the first game). Hewett and Newman looked very comfortable. Cunningham was serviceable. I liked what I saw from oriorden and like I said bell looked promising along with some encouraging signs from McCartin
    the first time I saw James Bell in the reserves I was impressed. He played in a prelim and had a huge game. Pity he didn't play in the GF against GWS we might have won. Last year he played a couple of games but his game against GWS at the Showgrounds was super. Unfortunately he go injured according to his dad who I met through a friend Saturday after the AFLX. By the way there is another young Bell in the wings. James reminds me of Mickey O. He has that same beautiful smooth gait and ability to seem as if he has lots of time. I think he will be one hell of a player for us for a long time. He has all the right elements.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way I didn't think McCartin was overawed. He has some very real ability and I love the way he hits a pack at breakneck speed. Unfortunately I think young Styles was a bit overawed.

I was very surprised that they did not bring Rampe back in for the grand final. He would have made a huge difference. I just hope that he did not pick up any injury in the first game where he was superb. I think there is a question mark over players like Rose and Foote that has been there for some time. They did nothing on Saturday to dispel those concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I was very surprised that they did not bring Rampe back in for the grand final. He would have made a huge difference. I just hope that he did not pick up any injury in the first game where he was superb. I think there is a question mark over players like Rose and Foote that has been there for some time. They did nothing on Saturday to dispel those concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That suggests they cared about winning. I'd have though the risk of bringing back a very valuable player who has cooled down for over 90 minutes to play 10 minutes of Micky Mouse football really wasn't worth it.

In terms of players like Foote and Rose, they're probably in the 25th-30th ranking range of players on the list in terms of queuing up for senior selection. They're actually pretty good players to have filling those positions on a list. They're physically ready to come in and play (especially Foote, who is very fit, and Rose looks to have improved his endurance over the off season too), and they have OK skills. Sure, they have limitations but not ones that overly concern me, given their roles on the list.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    In terms of players like Foote and Rose, they're probably in the 25th-30th ranking range of players on the list in terms of queuing up for senior selection. They're actually pretty good players to have filling those positions on a list. They're physically ready to come in and play (especially Foote, who is very fit, and Rose looks to have improved his endurance over the off season too), and they have OK skills. Sure, they have limitations but not ones that overly concern me, given their roles on the list.
    They might be physically ready, but is that enough given how long these two have been in the system? Neither have any real impact when they get their opportunity at senior level

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    They might be physically ready, but is that enough given how long these two have been in the system? Neither have any real impact when they get their opportunity at senior level
    As depth players they're fine. They've not exactly been clogging the list for years and neither has had many opportunities to show what they have. I actually rate Rose quite well. His issue has been fitness and consistency but he's made some decent contributions at senior level. If they were both firmly ensconced in the best 22 your concerns might be valid. But they're not. And as depth players I reckon they're better than similarly list-ranked players at most other clubs. If they're the 21st or 22nd player selected in a given week, due to injuries to others, they'll come in and be OK. If the team is relying on half a dozen or so players of this ilk, it might struggle (as we saw in the opening rounds of 2017).

They play a role and it's a reasonably important one for a team hoping to go the distance.

Veterans List
    Every time I see Rose with the ball I think of that kid in the Dennis the Menace movie. I feel terrible!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Every time I see Rose with the ball I think of that kid in the Dennis the Menace movie. I feel terrible!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    I always remember his debut game (although I do not quite remember the numbe of goals (was it 2 or 3?)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I always remember his debut game (although I do not quite remember the numbe of goals (was it 2 or 3?)
    Three (and as substitute IIRC - meaning he only played a quarter or so).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Three (and as substitute IIRC - meaning he only played a quarter or so).
    .....and didn't he get those three with his first 3 or 4 kicks in pretty quick time? I remember thinking, "Hello! We've got a lively one here!".......mmmm, he hasn't delivered on that.

Rose
    One of dermies favs

I agree with Liz if injuries dictate they are not bad replacements for a few games

They can do a run with role ie foote

Rose can play loose and put on forward pressure

Allowing the other 20 players to step up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12