Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Injuries - Naismith ACL

There is a romantic view that tippet comes in late in the season and delivers a flag, just when we'd given up on him. Clark Keating style.

Senior Player
    Interestingly, Kinnear Beatson has suggested Aliir is an option in rhis piece: Nocookies | The Australian. Slightly strange, as Harley tends to speak for the club on these kind of matters. Mention is made of Amatey learning his trade in the NEAFL for a year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Interestingly, Kinnear Beatson has suggested Aliir is an option in rhis piece: Nocookies | The Australian. Slightly strange, as Harley tends to speak for the club on these kind of matters. Mention is made of Amatey learning his trade in the NEAFL for a year.
    So did Andrew Ireland last night.
    Aliir and/or Towers.

Towers is our No.1 ruck with help from the resting full forward (Sinclair).

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Towers is our No.1 ruck with help from the resting full forward (Sinclair).
    Other way round I think. Tonight they've named Cameron as starting ruckman. I wonder who will get more ruck contests?

Realistically it's very difficult for a ruckman to come back from an ACL reco in less than 18 months. Natanui is just starting to get some reserves level match practice now and Jonathon Ceglar, who is also 18 months into an ACL reco has delayed training due to a back complaint.

If I were Tom Harley, I wouldn't offer Naismith another contract. He is very doubtful even to play much in the NEAFL next year, so it will be 2� years out of AFL competition before he's a chance to play again in the AFL and by that time I think we will have moved on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of free agent ruckman available at the end of the year if we choose to go that route. Much depends on how things go in finding a good solution to not having a decent conventional ruckman.

Having the weakest ruck stocks in the AFL gives us the opportunity to find alternative solutions to turning an almost certain loss in the hitouts every game to our advantage.

Goes up to 11
    Young Liam Maze would have been handy NEAFL cover this year, but I think he's moved on and/or we can no longer access him as a top up due to his age. Can anyone confirm this?

An important flow on affect of our low ruck stocks is the impact on structures and the development of our young midfielders in the NEAFL if we don't have half decent ruckmen there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Realistically it's very difficult for a ruckman to come back from an ACL reco in less than 18 months. Natanui is just starting to get some reserves level match practice now and Jonathon Ceglar, who is also 18 months into an ACL reco has delayed training due to a back complaint.

If I were Tom Harley, I wouldn't offer Naismith another contract. He is very doubtful even to play much in the NEAFL next year, so it will be 2� years out of AFL competition before he's a chance to play again in the AFL and by that time I think we will have moved on.

I'm sure there will be plenty of free agent ruckman available at the end of the year if we choose to go that route. Much depends on how things go in finding a good solution to not having a decent conventional ruckman.

Having the weakest ruck stocks in the AFL gives us the opportunity to find alternative solutions to turning an almost certain loss in the hitouts every game to our advantage.
    Its such a shame for big Sam - like others I fear his body isn't going to let him achieve what he could at AFL level. But that's the way it goes - he won't be the first or last big man to not be able to ultimately survive the challenges and rigours of AFL footy.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Jake Lloyd, hamstring! Can anyone confirm this dreadful news.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Jake Lloyd, hamstring! Can anyone confirm this dreadful news.
    Where are you getting it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Where are you getting it from?
    Any updates? I'm not seeing anything anywhere (but I'm not terribly well-connected)

All I know is that Longmire said in the post game interview that Lloyd sat out the last quarter of the GWS game due to a tight quad but "he feels OK".

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345