Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3 March 2018, #JLTseries game 1, Sydney vs Brisbane, Moreton Bay #lionsswans

Didn't watch this game
    For some reason this year I am pretty disinterested in all the preseason stuff.
    I don't even know how this JLT thing works. Only 2 games?
    I'm guessing they are pretty much practice matches (more so than in the past)

Good to see the comments re Buddy.
    He was one of three I got a great feeling about in the 1/4 of AFLX I saw
    Just the way he was moving was different. Fit. On point. Hungry.
    I'm hoping for a big year from him.
    A year where everyone is saying how much the big deal we made for him has paid off.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Good to see the comments re Buddy.
    He was one of three I got a great feeling about in the 1/4 of AFLX I saw
    Just the way he was moving was different. Fit. On point. Hungry.
    I'm hoping for a big year from him.
    A year where everyone is saying how much the big deal we made for him has paid off.
    The only thing you�d have seen of Buddy in AFLX was a boundary line interview where he put Heath Shaw back in his box about Bud fulfilling the rest of his contract, or Bud sitting in the stands smiling while his teammates rampaged in two games and capitulated in the third

Yeah, I think it was the GWS practice game.
    I forgot to see any AFLX
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    I am starting to get a little concerned about our Ruckmen this year. Hopefully Sinclair's ankle is not too bad. This is one year I think a mid-season draft would be handy. Seems like Towers is going to be doing a lot of ruckwork.

Veterans List
    Buddy looks on song post surgeries.

Thrashed in the ruck but won comfortably. Naismith is needed.

Fox looks very much up to standard, good size, mature, confident, poise, will be a R1 starter and long term player.

Florent showing the benefits of a year in the system, looking much more likely now. Stoddart looks a good pick up at 53, a sharp left footer. Very happy with the last couple of drafts, brought in needed style of players.

Hayward shouldn't be used in the centre, got sublime skills and footy nous but will hurt oppositions most in the forward half. Papley on the other hand, as he showed last year, is a big plus in our centre square mix.

Overall a bit rusty looking yesterday but can't do more than thrash the opposition!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Buddy looks on song post surgeries.

Thrashed in the ruck but won comfortably. Naismith is needed.

Fox looks very much up to standard, good size, mature, confident, poise, will be a R1 starter and long term player.

Florent showing the benefits of a year in the system, looking much more likely now. Stoddart looks a good pick up at 53, a sharp left footer. Very happy with the last couple of drafts, brought in needed style of players.

Hayward shouldn't be used in the centre, got sublime skills and footy nous but will hurt oppositions most in the forward half. Papley on the other hand, as he showed last year, is a big plus in our centre square mix.

Overall a bit rusty looking yesterday but can't do more than thrash the opposition!
    Yes, seeing Hayward in the centre for a couple of bounces surprised me too. I can't really see him playing in the midfield much this year. What with a waiting list, of players that could see more midfield time, that includes Jones, Papley and Mills. Maybe it's some sort of long-term carrot? As in, if you keep on putting in, then eventually you will be a midfielder. Or maybe it's part of an insurance policy, since in the previous couple of drafts, we haven't picked any inside mids? So maybe we have to develop less likely types, in order to provide cover for an unfortunate spate of injuries?
    And in regards to Papley, I really expect him to go from Swans fan favourite, to competition star. Some of his skills are freakish, and with more time in the midfield, he should have more of a chance to show those skills.

I seemed to see Florent playing more in the defensive half - maybe he is the long term Smith replacement

For me Flo is playing still way out of his preferred style and possie

He will be a killer once let loose

Davis said he is a JET

Fox will be likely be sitting behind Jones and McVeigh in the back 6 pecking order. Going to be hard to crack with Melican, Smith, Grundy, Rampe all so durable. He'd need Mills and Jones to get a lot of midfield time to open up space for him.

Papley looks like he's following a similar path to Zorko, both playing style and overall journey. He's smarts in traffic to create at high speed is something we haven't really got at the moment. Will add a lot to clearance work.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    For me Flo is playing still way out of his preferred style and possie

He will be a killer once let loose

Davis said he is a JET
    The thing that impressed me most about Florent yesterday, was his ability to kick long and hit a deep forward target. If he keeps that up, he's going to be very handy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    I am starting to get a little concerned about our Ruckmen this year. Hopefully Sinclair's ankle is not too bad. This is one year I think a mid-season draft would be handy. Seems like Towers is going to be doing a lot of ruckwork.
    I was disappointed with both Sinclair and Cameron yesterday, especially Cameron, as I was hoping he could take over the ruck duties this year. He can take a good uncontested mark and moves well, but didn't provide much of a contest or defensive effort. We didn't do well with either in the ruck. On the other hand, we seemed to come away with the ball more often than not when Towers was our ruckman. He can't compete physically against those big ruckmen, but when he times his jump well he can get a hand on the ball and make it a loose ball contest where we would normally have the advantage, especially given that we have an extra midfielder in the contest, being Towers.

I thought Naismith looked okay last week, but he needs continuity to develop his all around game.

Stretchergate Part II

Sinclair saves his best moves for the Lions.

I'm more worried that:
    • Since Cunningham has decided to tackle, he can no longer kick.
    • Aliir managed to sprain his ankle tripping over a blade of grass.
    • Heeney plays better with Glandular Fever.
    • Stoddart thinks he's an Old English Sheepdog.

Challenging roles and unfamiliar roles thru out the trial yesterday

Trial

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast