Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3 March 2018, #JLTseries game 1, Sydney vs Brisbane, Moreton Bay #lionsswans

Warming the Bench
    I really think we should try not having a ruckman at all and just rotate through a combination of Reid, Towers and Aliir as pinch hitters. We're already losing most ruck contests so why not just let these guys do their best plus have them for their other roles as well.

Against Selwood, danger, Ablett, Duncan ?

Interesting idea

Just out of idle curiosity, has the AFL quietly killed off the 'deliberate out of bounds' rule? In the bits and pieces of the JLT Challenge that I've watched so far, I don't recall seeing one free paid for deliberate, but I've seen plenty of instances, where it would have been payed last season.

Veterans List
    It took me awhile to get used to Papley wearing number 11. I kept thinking of Laidler.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was disappointed with both Sinclair and Cameron yesterday, especially Cameron, as I was hoping he could take over the ruck duties this year. He can take a good uncontested mark and moves well, but didn't provide much of a contest or defensive effort. We didn't do well with either in the ruck. On the other hand, we seemed to come away with the ball more often than not when Towers was our ruckman. He can't compete physically against those big ruckmen, but when he times his jump well he can get a hand on the ball and make it a loose ball contest where we would normally have the advantage, especially given that we have an extra midfielder in the contest, being Towers.

I thought Naismith looked okay last week, but he needs continuity to develop his all around game.

Stretchergate Part II

Sinclair saves his best moves for the Lions.

I'm more worried that:
    • Since Cunningham has decided to tackle, he can no longer kick.
    • Aliir managed to sprain his ankle tripping over a blade of grass.
    • Heeney plays better with Glandular Fever.
    • Stoddart thinks he's an Old English Sheepdog.
    I agree on Cameron - he is not a kid and needs to stand up. I know he was injured last year but Towers should not be taking the majority of the ruck when Cameron is on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It took me awhile to get used to Papley wearing number 11. I kept thinking of Laidler.

I kept thinking of Max. I'm ancient.

Same. It was very tough for me, watching on my wife's mobile, to work out who's who. (She's a Telstra customer, so free subscription).

Still, from what I could make out, the fringe players seem to be going ok. It's hard to read too much into a pre-season game against fairly weak opposition though.

Veterans List
    Was a warm moment when he could swap into his grandfathers number. Papley looks so good running through the middle, a very clever and creative player. Will get plenty of on ball time this year.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I kept thinking of Max. I'm ancient.
    If he gets to be as good as Max we have a superstar.
    I remember watching Max at training running laps bouncing a football in either hand at the same time, another time he was bouncing a football and eating an apple while running laps.
    He had freakish skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I seemed to see Florent playing more in the defensive half - maybe he is the long term Smith replacement
    Nah. Apparently Dermott Brereton saw a lot of Ollie playing junior footy. He reckons Ollie is the best player at reading the ball off a ruck's hand he's seen in a long while. He reckons his take and burst through a pack is the best he's ever seen. So this is what we got him for not to sit rotting on the HB line. The boy will be a masterful mid when he gets to play there. Remember a little bloke, not too popular with us, who plays for GWS who was a sensational mid before being moved to permanent forward? that's right Toby green had that knock of reading the hand of the ruck and then just bursting, still does it as a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Nah. Apparently Dermott Brereton saw a lot of Ollie playing junior footy. He reckons Ollie is the best player at reading the ball off a ruck's hand he's seen in a long while. He reckons his take and burst through a pack is the best he's ever seen. So this is what we got him for not to sit rotting on the HB line. The boy will be a masterful mid when he gets to play there. Remember a little bloke, not too popular with us, who plays for GWS who was a sensational mid before being moved to permanent forward? that's right Toby green had that knock of reading the hand of the ruck and then just bursting, still does it as a forward.
    Yeah but it was Dermie.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Well that solves that one, Dermie has spoken...

Papley is more comparable to Greene than Florent in terms of build and type.

Ollie is built as an outside player. He may have hit ruck contests at pace in Under 18s, but unless he's built like Clayton Oliver, he isn't going to break the tackles you attract at a rucks feet.
    He's going to be able to hit packs at pace more often across the flanks at either end. He's a guy you want to be delivering inside 50m regularly, so expect him to play roles over time that are between the arcs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast