Thread: NEAFL "Pathway"

NEAFL "Pathway"

Heard from a fairly reliable source that a group of players at Sydney Uni NEAFL, who are from Sydney AFL clubs other than Sydney Uni, were told by a senior SU official words to the effect of "we are all one club here and we'd like you guys to support Sydney Uni prems and the rest of the club".

I understand the reaction from the players present ranged from thinking the comments were out of line to being offended. Why would they support Sydney Uni in the SAFL against their own clubs and why would anyone think it�s reasonable to ask them to do that?

Is it just me, or are Sydney Uni in the process of blowing their own foot off regarding NEAFL?
    Regardless of what Sydney Uni think they invest in the NEAFL program, the reality is that without the ongoing support of the AFL and the SAFL clubs and their players, Sydney Uni wouldn't have a NEAFL program.

The level of disrespect implicit in the comment above surely has to erode that support?

On top of that, the NEAFL has been sold to SAFL clubs as a pathway for good young players from Sydney clubs that enables them to pursue their dreams of playing in the AFL without having to move interstate.

Apart from Sydney Uni being fairly unsuccessful to date in drafts, I understand that at the moment our club alone has 7 very good young players interstate, including a couple of draft prospects, who've gone there essentially because they don't believe the Sydney Uni "pathway" will work for them.
    Six of these guys are 20 or under and they�ve been lost to SAFL and the NEAFL program for the medium term.

How I�m seeing it at the moment, not only does the pathway not work, it�s actually counter productive for SAFL clubs. The NEAFL program looks like a collective ego trip and promotional and recruitment tool for Sydney Uni.

What�s going on here, or is it just me?

It is a total flawed system, young kids have no club loyalty and a sense of belonging. It also is a slap into the face of every Sydney AFL club whos kids make it onto their so called fair 42 list and then are actively encouraged to go there. I wont even go on about the investigation that has been or is going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    On top of that, the NEAFL has been sold to SAFL clubs as a pathway for good young players from Sydney clubs that enables them to pursue their dreams of playing in the AFL without having to move interstate.
    Bomber if what you have outlined is true, very disappointing as I really thought Uni we trying to engage with the broader Clubs.

Though in saying the above, what other option is there. Unless AFL corporate have a spare half mill to fund a truly representative team then Sydney uni is the only option. We never saw East Coast offer to send players they recruited back to their respective Premier Divsion clubs.

Like Israel - Palestine, we can all see the problems, but there is no easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Though in saying the above, what other option is there. Unless AFL corporate have a spare half mill to fund a truly representative team then Sydney uni is the only option.
    Or we just have those players back at their clubs playing in the premier division making Sydney AFL stronger.

How many people have gone from Sydney Uni NEAFL into the AFL? Are there any? If you want to make it in footy you go interstate, not to Sydney Uni. I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to go there.

I have sworn off commenting on here but I can�t help myself on this one. What you have stated is patently untrue. The messaging was that we want them to support our club by attending relevant functions, helping out with the junior clubs etc. but then also to represent their PD club well by being a good role model, maintaining high standards on and off field etc. We respect the contribution of the other clubs and want the players in the NEAFL squad to be good ambassadors for our program. Whoever told you that is being mischievous or might�ve gotten their messaging mixed.

Anyway that�s all I�ll say on the matter. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Heard from a fairly reliable source that a group of players at Sydney Uni NEAFL, who are from Sydney AFL clubs other than Sydney Uni, were told by a senior SU official words to the effect of "we are all one club here and we'd like you guys to support Sydney Uni prems and the rest of the club".

I understand the reaction from the players present ranged from thinking the comments were out of line to being offended. Why would they support Sydney Uni in the SAFL against their own clubs and why would anyone think it�s reasonable to ask them to do that?

Is it just me, or are Sydney Uni in the process of blowing their own foot off regarding NEAFL?
    Regardless of what Sydney Uni think they invest in the NEAFL program, the reality is that without the ongoing support of the AFL and the SAFL clubs and their players, Sydney Uni wouldn't have a NEAFL program.

The level of disrespect implicit in the comment above surely has to erode that support?

Apart from Sydney Uni being fairly unsuccessful to date in drafts, I understand that at the moment our club alone has 7 very good young players interstate, including a couple of draft prospects, who've gone there essentially because they don't believe the Sydney Uni "pathway" will work for them.
    Six of these guys are 20 or under and they�ve been lost to SAFL and the NEAFL program for the medium term.

How I�m seeing it at the moment, not only does the pathway not work, it�s actually counter productive for SAFL clubs. The NEAFL program looks like a collective ego trip and promotional and recruitment tool for Sydney Uni.

What�s going on here, or is it just me?

Student, I said a number of things, what part of it is patently untrue in your view. Every element of what I said is evidence based and your club has years of form.
    Your comments actually reinforce that you guys don�t get it.
    As we all know, SU has plenty of NEAFL listed players who are aligned to SU at SAFL level. It�s no-one else�s business if SU want to insist these players attend SU functions and the fact that there�s plenty of them provides ample opportunity to connect the two parts of the club if that�s the purpose.
    However, NEAFL listed players from other SAFL clubs should not be asked to attend . They are patently not SU players at SAFL level!
    You either don�t understand, or don�t care, how disrespectful that is to the SAFL clubs that are supposed to be the �pathway� for this program, particularly when players are �asked� to attend SU functions instead of attending their own club functions (which has happened).
    On a related note, what juniors are these guys helping out with? Can we expect to see them up our way helping our juniors, or maybe helping other SAFL clubs? I certainly hope you�re not using NEAFL players from other SAFL clubs to concentrate the development benefit of the NEAFL program into developing juniors in Sydney Uni�s SAFL pathway?