Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: JLT2 - Swans v Giants @ Blacktown

Well, very good to know that the reason we are not seeing Maibaum is because of injury and not because he doesn't look the goods. Fingers crossed he recovers well and hits some form.

Veterans List
    Anyone going to the NEAFL practice match? We need a report on our back up ruckman Joel Amartey :-)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Anyone going to the NEAFL practice match? We need a report on our back up ruckman Joel Amartey :-)
    Maybe. I was going to stay at home and watch the JLT game on TV but that was before I knew there was a NEAFL practice match on before hand.

Does anyone know of ticketing arrangements for the JLT? It's impossible to see much of what's going on at Blacktown unless you're sitting in the single stand, and even there the elevation isn't great. I'm guessing that the crowd at the game will be somewhat larger than at a typical reserves or U18 game so the stand may be reserved for "VIPs" (or sold out).

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Glad to see Robbo in front of Foote. Good for Swampy on being selected. Less good for COR not being selected.
    Marsh is the natural replacement for Rampe. He played last year when Rampe was injured. He's probably be gone at year end, but I think he's good enough to be on someone's list and hope he gets another chance.

Fox, Newman and COR are likely playing for the same spot and COR would definitely be behind the other 2 at this stage. Maybe we can fit both Fox and Newman in the side with us going into round 1 with a few injuries. I think COR needs to put in a very solid couple of months in the NEAFL and show that he's ready to step up to the next level.

I'm also quite happy to get another look at Stoddart in lieu of COR.

Senior Player
    Yes, I'm quite keenly anticipating that NEAFL squad as it will give us an idea of who is injured and who is just back in the pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I realise that Rampe played AFLX, and managing players' workloads is more important than winning practice games, but the decision to rest Rampe does leave our backline rather exposed against a forward line comprising Paton, Himmelberg and Cameron. Grundy hasn't been named, despite hints he might be, and Aliir is out, as we expected. I guess we're about to find out just how good Melican is!

(Maybe the Swans will take the opportunity to experiment with something different in the forward line, and sacrifice Reid to defence for this one game.)
    Yeah this backline is reminiscent of the one that went into the game against Cats, without Rampe. I don't get how you can pick such a small backline against such a huge forwardline. just mind boggling. This reeks of a coach that is trying to invent a new philosophy on playing backs. that is give them the huge height advantage and get flogged. not happy about this line up. I would have liked to see something more of Tom McCartin and had a look at how Maibaum handled the AFL ranked talls. But I seem to think Maibaum mist have died or had a long term injury. After all this is the time you try things. but this coach ain't trying much just setting up a situation where we get flogged because out backs are far too small to compete. ala Cats final. Not a good practice match at all.

Each training session I've been to (only a handful admittedly), Maibaum has been a non-participant. So I suggest he's had some injury issue that's held him back, and explains why we've not seen him.

I've not seen Pink train either.

I'll be surprised if AJ plays in the NEAFL game given he was sidelined for a period after January with groin soreness. Not sure if he's back in full training yet, but they're going to be conservative with him, you'd think.
    AJ is doing light work. according to early indications he was supposed to be ready about round 5

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe. I was going to stay at home and watch the JLT game on TV but that was before I knew there was a NEAFL practice match on before hand.

Does anyone know of ticketing arrangements for the JLT? It's impossible to see much of what's going on at Blacktown unless you're sitting in the single stand, and even there the elevation isn't great. I'm guessing that the crowd at the game will be somewhat larger than at a typical reserves or U18 game so the stand may be reserved for "VIPs" (or sold out).
    If you don't require a seat it is free.

- - - Updated - - -

if it is not raining and you sit on the outer side it is a great place to see the game. a real picnic atmosphere. Bring a picnic box

We will most likely play a little more plus one in the backline because Swampy on Cameron or Patton one on one is not going work

Reid will no doubt head back a little also

But it is a very mobile team and u would guess we will have a massive focus for our forwards to keep gws all locked in

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    We will most likely play a little more plus one in the backline because Swampy on Cameron or Patton one on one is not going work

Reid will no doubt head back a little also

But it is a very mobile team and u would guess we will have a massive focus for our forwards to keep gws all locked in

That's all well and good but if we lose the clearances as badly as we did against Brisbane we will get flogged. There is no way those backs could contain those forwards. No way in the world. Melican on Patton sure but Marsh on Cameron, get real and you have to account for resting rucks and Himmelberg as well. dropping Sam Reid back is just taking away from our forward options, especially as we haven't played McCartin.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That's all well and good but if we lose the clearances as badly as we did against Brisbane we will get flogged. There is no way those backs could contain those forwards. No way in the world. Melican on Patton sure but Marsh on Cameron, get real and you have to account for resting rucks and Himmelberg as well. dropping Sam Reid back is just taking away from our forward options, especially as we haven't played McCartin.
    Maybe, but I don't think any of the coaches are too worried about getting flogged in the JLT. They have other objectives that are more important than making this a competitive game eg. making sure Rampe is in good condition for round 1.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yeah this backline is reminiscent of the one that went into the game against Cats, without Rampe. I don't get how you can pick such a small backline against such a huge forwardline. just mind boggling. This reeks of a coach that is trying to invent a new philosophy on playing backs. that is give them the huge height advantage and get flogged. not happy about this line up.
    Maybe you should wait and see if the team actually gets flogged first.

But even if we do, it's not mind boggling that the club would pick this side, nor is it evidence of a coach trying to invent a new philosophy. It's evidence of a coach who thinks Rampe has done enough work this pre-season and who wants to make sure he's right for when the real stuff starts, and who doesn't have any of his other tall defenders available.

The neafl game is a 16 a side match. There is a squad of 22 including about 8 academy under 19 top ups.
    Under the neafl rules the swans have listed 8 under 19s who can play during the year.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast