Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JLT2 - Swans v Giants @ Blacktown

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yeah this backline is reminiscent of the one that went into the game against Cats, without Rampe. I don't get how you can pick such a small backline against such a huge forwardline. just mind boggling. This reeks of a coach that is trying to invent a new philosophy on playing backs. that is give them the huge height advantage and get flogged. not happy about this line up. I would have liked to see something more of Tom McCartin and had a look at how Maibaum handled the AFL ranked talls. But I seem to think Maibaum mist have died or had a long term injury. After all this is the time you try things. but this coach ain't trying much just setting up a situation where we get flogged because out backs are far too small to compete. ala Cats final. Not a good practice match at all.

Backline set up in this game a good opportunity to look at players who may have to play if Rampe or someone else unavailable. Result irrelevant. Not mind boggling, probably sensible.

Agree. No one is going to remember the result of the JLT. Result is irrelevant. Having a chance to look at different structures, giving exposure and opportunities to our depth players, and ensuring our best team is available for round 1 is priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    We will most likely play a little more plus one in the backline because Swampy on Cameron or Patton one on one is not going work

Reid will no doubt head back a little also

But it is a very mobile team and u would guess we will have a massive focus for our forwards to keep gws all locked in
    I seem to remember that last year in the game at the SCG, when Rampe wasn't playing, Marsh lined up on Cameron and Reid ended up being moved back to cover as Marsh got flogged. I really hope that doesn't happen as it would be pointless. Better to leave Marsh to learn on whoever he's playing on.

We are suddenly very short of talls or players who play tall: Rampe, Reg, Aliir, Naismith, Tippett, Maibaum, Sinkers etc. Will be "interesting" to see how we go with a "more mobile" side.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yeah this backline is reminiscent of the one that went into the game against Cats, without Rampe. I don't get how you can pick such a small backline against such a huge forwardline. just mind boggling. This reeks of a coach that is trying to invent a new philosophy on playing backs. that is give them the huge height advantage and get flogged. not happy about this line up. I would have liked to see something more of Tom McCartin and had a look at how Maibaum handled the AFL ranked talls. But I seem to think Maibaum mist have died or had a long term injury. After all this is the time you try things. but this coach ain't trying much just setting up a situation where we get flogged because out backs are far too small to compete. ala Cats final. Not a good practice match at all.
    Get a grip mate.
    We lost to Geelong because Danger played a finals game for the ages, and their midfield got on top. Our backline wasn't too short, it just didnt have a player good enough to stay a rampant Danger on his day.

The pre season is not a time to try things wildly. That is what pre season and intra clubs are for. It is a time to refine, condition and fine tune. You may see something strange here and there, but it is not a free for all. The result means absolutely nothing.

Would you prefer to see Maibaum get a game, and Melican lose a conditioning opportunity? He has a chance to play in the NEAFL game if fit, like the rest of the list.

the coaches know who they want for round 1. This is more about deciding who will be in the final mix for r1. Great opportunity for Cameron to show us what he has

Senior Player
    Are we even certain Rampe is not playing? He's listed on an extended interchange. I can't see any definitive report that he's out.

Warming the Bench
    I'm looking forward to Cameron having a full game in the Ruck

On the AFL website Rampe is listed as out "rested".

Veterans List
    What time is the NEAFL game and will any RWOer be there to provides result/details for those of us who are anchored interstate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Starting in about 10 minutes!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Nothing from the Swans social media team.

Veterans List
    Thanks Ugg (via GWS) for the update.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast