HF :Rohan Reid Hewett
    FF : Papley Franklin Jack
    FOL : Sinclair Kennedy Parker

INTER : Cunningham, Towers, Florent, Fox

EMG : Newman, Cameron, Hayward

Assumptions...

McVeigh and Hannebery unavailable.
    Fox to be elevated from rookie list.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    Elevations from rookie lists are no longer required (other than for the Cat B rookies). All Cat A rookies can play senior footy.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Also you can name four emergencies now.

Veteran Site Admin
    Actually focussing on your named team, I think there are a lot of small and medium defenders in that team. You've named Lloyd on the wing, but in reality he's played predominantly across half back for the last couple of seasons, and very effectively too. I can't see him being moved. Cunningham looks slated for defence, as does Fox. Plus you have Marsh in the team, who was good yesterday but still plays a similar role (or will do, with Grundy and Rampe back in the team). Surely these three (and Newman) are fighting it out for, at most, two spots in the team. Unless, that is, Mills is unleashed into the midfield, but on the JLT showing, it doesn't look like that's in the coaches' plans any time soon.

On the other hand, the team looks light on for smaller forwards. Hayward's two pre-season games have been modest but I'd still have him (or Rose) in the team ahead of one of those smaller defenders. He's a player that can hit the scoreboard, even without many touches, and he does provide good pressure in the forward line. He's had an injury interrupted pre-season, which I think explains his quiet JLT form as much as anything else does. If he plays NEAFL, he'll quickly look a class above anyone else out there.

B: Nick Smooch , Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican , Callum Mills
    C: Luke Parker , Josh Kennedy, Cunningham
    HF: Jack, Sam Reid, Oliver Florent
    F: Rohan, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    R: Callum Sinclair, Heeney, George Hewett

I: Hayward, Jones, Robbie Fox, Towers

I think we have shown our hand that we will have some serious run off our backline this season and our short post up kicks require backs to flood forward with serious dash...just like we have shown thru this pre season. If u don�t have fast gut running backs coming past these short kicks well u are at the mercy of the defence shutting down options to get out quickly.

So who are the backs that can play this style of footy?

Lloyd, jones, Fox, marsh, Cunningham

Newman, smith, mills not so much as the small med defenders as they are not as quick as the above

So looking at the above if we are picking defensive players to be in alignment with our fast transition game plan I think they pick them self right now

The contentious one is picking Fox over Newman. I like Newman�s decision making and kicking ability but he can�t play the fast running give and go footy from our backline that Fox can. That gives us a rotation of lloyd, Jones and Fox playing the fast transition gut running out of the backline. I also believe we can NOT play Newman and macca in our new transition style of footy. We can�t have two players that are more set up post up style players. We need runners hence our recruitment going all in the direction of runners off the HB line. Looks like fox gets an early nod for this role prior to Ling and Stoddart for the future

The other contentious selection is that I�m picking Ollie for now as we need him come finals as he will just get better and better over the season. He has more upside then some others ...... he also played a solid game against gws and at the smaller SCG we might even see him rotate off HBF with his strong on the run long kick into the forward line......which he showed nicely against GWS in the wknd. He will probably be replaced by Hannes upon return but if he is playing well enough we could see Ollie play ahead of Rohan or Hayward or more then likely Cunningham who might be under pressure

It is a fantastic problem to have right now. There are valid arguments for so many players to be in the 22. My argument is that we have with our doubt evolved our play and who can fit this style is very important to our ability to be no1

Out:
    Newman
    Macca
    Naismith
    Hannes
    AA
    Marsh
    Robbo
    Stoddart
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th March 2018 at 08:11 AM.

I went back and watched our first qtr vs gws

I wanted to see how we used our backline rotation

Ollie last 5 mind of the first qtr went back and played in the backline and played well as a give and go defender and delivered clean kicks

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

So looking at the above if we are picking defensive players to be in alignment with our fast transition game plan I think they pick them self right now
    Winning contested ball is also a key part of the game plan (any club's game plan, really) but that doesn't mean you'd play all of Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, Hewett, Mitchell, Bird etc in the same team.

Agree
    U can slice it anyway u want when selecting a team but for me all indicators point towards we are evolving our balance of running and inside players hence our recruitment last year and our clear change in back line transitions this pre season has been lovely to watch and relieving quite frankly

We have enough contested players and our backline already has smith, Melican, Grundy, Rampe and Mills

I�m only talking about 1 less contested or slower player in our 22 being dropped for a faster running player to be added

That�s not changing the scales of contested much but it�s enough I think

Hence me pointing to only Jones, lloyd and fox as more give and go fast transition players that could start round 1 and do it well.......3 only with a player like ollie and or Cunningham playing deep as wingers when needed in the transition which they did in the pre season games
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th March 2018 at 09:11 AM.

Veterans List
    Newman and Fox both look deserving of a place based on JLT as does Cunningham - finally!

All I know is that it's going to be a fascinating team for R1, unlike the previous two years, this year we have depth (except ruck) on the list and also available at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    MY guess....

FB : Smith Grundy Marsh
    HB : Rampe Melican Mills
    C : Lloyd Heeney Jones
    HF :Rohan Reid Hewett
    FF : Papley Franklin Jack
    FOL : Sinclair Kennedy Parker

INTER : Cunningham, Towers, Florent, Fox

EMG : Newman, Cameron, Hayward

Assumptions...

McVeigh and Hannebery unavailable.
    Fox to be elevated from rookie list.
    Move Marsh to the emergency, put Hayward to the bench and Fox on in place of Marsh.

All things being equal and we have a full squad, Marsh won�t play in WA (biggest ground in Australia) due to his lack of pace.
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Marsh funny enough was quickest at the draft testing over the repeat 20m sprints but I don�t think marsh is in the best 22 just yet but is staking further claim with a very good gws game in the JLT.

Veterans List
    Not enough love for Newman here..... one of our best on the weekend, racks up the possessions (27 against GWS plus 12 marks and 4 tackles) and usually uses them creatively. I love Harry Marsh (16 possessions, 7 marks, no tackles) but Nic is ahead of him. I don't care if he's not the fastest going around, his kicking is so good and penetrating, it makes up for any lack of speed. Like Newman had to, the new boys will have to wait their turn......Harry as well.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast