Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Selections for round 1

Commenting on Ernie�s team, like several others, I can�t see Newman being omitted from the senior side. He�s had a very good pre-season and there�s no reason why he should be losing his spot from last year, despite both Cunningham and Fox also playing quite well. I think it�s possible to fit all 3 in the side for round 1 if Hayward is omitted, something I would prefer. I�m not concerned that all 3 have played mostly in defence so far this season. It just means that we will see more of the usual midfielders roll forward, which I think is a positive.

The other key point is that if Aliir is fit to play he must be in the side, whether in defence or as our ruckman. He simply offer much more than Sinclair. In our round 2 game v. PA, Aliir is a much better matchup against Ryder, who would be far too athletic for Sinclair. Aliir�s position will likely be dictated by whether Reg is fit to play round 1. He may be a bit underdone at this stage and usually has a slow start to the season anyway. There are lots of other reasons why Aliir should start the season in the senior side, but like any player, if he doesn�t show he deserves his spot he should be dropped. Aliir will get contract offers of $3 to $4 million for 5 years from some clubs even if he doesn�t play a senior game this year. We don�t want to lose him.

If Sinclair plays, it�s probably Fox who should be dropped, despite his very impressive performance so far. With at least 26 players deserving of a senior spot, several will have to miss out. Hanners and McVeigh look to be set to return early in the season, so that will create more pressure on spots after round 1.

The persistence of mythologies in society is quite remarkable and has many underlying causes. Some last thousands of years, some recent ones persist despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The myth that a team needs to have a big ruckman is one such mythology. One of the key reasons for its persistence is the constant repetition of this as fact by most commentators, who simply repeat what they hear from their peers. Some call this false narrative �thinking inside the box.�

Who could have imagined these words coming from the mouth of John Longmire last year?

"We can go with Aliir (Aliir) as well and we went with Dean Towers for five or six games last year. We'll just be creative."

Sounds like he�s come under the influence of ��..

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Commenting on Ernie�s team, like several others, I can�t see Newman being omitted from the senior side. He�s had a very good pre-season and there�s no reason why he should be losing his spot from last year, despite both Cunningham and Fox also playing quite well. I think it�s possible to fit all 3 in the side for round 1 if Hayward is omitted, something I would prefer. I�m not concerned that all 3 have played mostly in defence so far this season. It just means that we will see more of the usual midfielders roll forward, which I think is a positive.

The other key point is that if Aliir is fit to play he must be in the side, whether in defence or as our ruckman. He simply offer much more than Sinclair. In our round 2 game v. PA, Aliir is a much better matchup against Ryder, who would be far too athletic for Sinclair. Aliir�s position will likely be dictated by whether Reg is fit to play round 1. He may be a bit underdone at this stage and usually has a slow start to the season anyway. There are lots of other reasons why Aliir should start the season in the senior side, but like any player, if he doesn�t show he deserves his spot he should be dropped. Aliir will get contract offers of $3 to $4 million for 5 years from some clubs even if he doesn�t play a senior game this year. We don�t want to lose him.

If Sinclair plays, it�s probably Fox who should be dropped, despite his very impressive performance so far. With at least 26 players deserving of a senior spot, several will have to miss out. Hanners and McVeigh look to be set to return early in the season, so that will create more pressure on spots after round 1.

The persistence of mythologies in society is quite remarkable and has many underlying causes. Some last thousands of years, some recent ones persist despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The myth that a team needs to have a big ruckman is one such mythology. One of the key reasons for its persistence is the constant repetition of this as fact by most commentators, who simply repeat what they hear from their peers. Some call this false narrative �thinking inside the box.�

Who could have imagined these words coming from the mouth of John Longmire last year?

"We can go with Aliir (Aliir) as well and we went with Dean Towers for five or six games last year. We'll just be creative."

Sounds like he�s come under the influence of ��..
    Hope he hasn't been ludwinked!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Not enough love for Newman here..... Like Newman had to, the new boys will have to wait their turn......Harry as well.
    For me everything is on the table re arguing style of play and personnel

No one player is above the ability of the team to function at the highest level.......ok maybe buddy

We had to be more flexible in our approach and at first glance it looks awesome. I thought we looked composed and actually better with our new backline transitions....less lloyd and Jones dependant and no macca nor AA ie all players who love to take the game on from the backline and Newman didn�t come on for 10mins in the first qtr

Our first qtr we played so sharp with the easy short mark then flood forward in numbers.....yet in the 2nd qtr when we went back to kick to a spot and contest it looked clunky and we struggled and gws got on top

Re stats

Swampy marsh set up TWO direct Goal assists and scored a long range plugger goal himself but I didn�t pick him either

Dane swan used to get a million disposals with his 5m away give and goes but I never rated him and when u set up behind a contest that player always get a stack of disposals

For me it is majorly a team philosophy of flexibility and the direction that the team is going and that was evident on the weekend that we are now flexible between a contested and uncontested style of transition

When stoodard came on after 10mins the speed lifted again and GWS struggled to keep up with a flood forward easy ball approach

Newman recovered brilliantly after a terrible first qtr where he hand balled to know one twice and kicked two easy ones out on the full including that lazy chip on his right foot out on the full from back pocket ie a turnover almost almost on the arc......if harry marsh did that or Towers it would be unforgivable and talked about for months.

I love Newman�s skills and he has massively improved his work rate, second efforts and anticipation in defence last two seasons.....neafl is way to easy for Newman but for me he falls into the category of borderline selection like about 6 other players in the 22.

The approach we are now taking evolves the mix of players we need on the field

There is a change of the guard happening at the Swans and maybe I�m seeing it way to early but I loved the change up of transitions and flooding forward off the short mark posting up and giving off to players running past.

It makes us less predictable and difficult to out coach .......and we did it...... we executed two weeks in a row........belief occurs and we can find momentum

The playing group and coaching group should be proud of the first steps they have taken......because it looked convincing and natural

Very PA from a few years ago 2014? A little bit gws and Richmond also in their preferred style of attack

If u have the players to do itwell ite so hard to stop and we experimented with it and it looked so non buddy dependant and non tall forward dependant

Hmmmmm it will be fascinating to observe over the first 6 weeks especially
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 11th March 2018 at 04:52 PM.

Having read all the thoughts, so far, on our R1 team. The players most of us think are on the bubble seem to be ...

Fox...He's been a revelation off the halfback line he has played with dash and certainly, to my eye, energised our run out of defense...Should be rewarded with a R1 selection.

Marsh...I love the way he goes about it. He doesn't get the quantity of possessions of others but he's a team first player ...Again, he's played well and I hope he gets rewarded.

Newman... Generally a good user of the ball but can be a little lackadaisical at times. With Smith and Mills already down back, a 3rd small defender with no pace is 1 too many.

Hayward...Hasn't shown he's back to last years zip just yet... Which is understandable given he's being eased back in...He could do with a few NEAFL hit outs.

Aliir ....Like Hayward, given he's coming back from an ill timed injury, he would benefit from a few hitouts in the NEAFL.

I hear Liz's view that I've got 1 too many small defenders... maybe right... But we do have the likes of Heeney, Parker and Kennedy, who can all be extremely effective in the forward line while resting...

Having said all that, it's only my limited opinion.... And quite frankly I'd be happy with any of the above in the R1 team....

We go into R1 with plenty of options (other than the ruck)...Can't wait!!
    Last edited by ernie koala; 11th March 2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Haven't done too much thinking about our best 22 yet as I've been enjoying not thinking about footy for a few months but, from what I've seen so far, Rose looks to be ahead of Hayward to me at this stage.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Overall, it�s a pretty good take on things Ernie. I really can�t see Marsh playing Round 1 but isn�t it great that these depth players are putting real pressure to get picked. I think Newman will replace Marsh in your team. The rest are probably right but I will be interested to see what happens with Aliir and Sinclair.

For me, Cunningham is first replaced when Hanners is ready. He has lifted his competitiveness but his disposal is sometimes horrible. AFLX highlighted that.

No way Newman will miss.

I think it will look something like this:

Smith Grundy Rampe
    Mills Melican Lloyd
    Cunningham Kennedy Heeney
    Jack Reid Towers
    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Sinclair Parker Jones
    Newman Aliir Rohan Hewett

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    No way Newman will miss.

I think it will look something like this:

Smith Grundy Rampe
    Mills Melican Lloyd
    Cunningham Kennedy Heeney
    Jack Reid Towers
    Papley Franklin Haywood
    Sinclair Parker Jones
    Newman Aliir Rohan Hewett
    That's my preferred team going in to Round 1, too. Fox next in. Florent and Hayward line-ball. Florent offers a bit more around the park, but I also think that Hayward will have first dibs.

It will be fascinating to see what happens when Hannebery and McVeigh are fit. And Dawson.

Veterans List
    Rohan has been really quiet and fumbly so far, reckon he'll start in the twos.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I think that he will start, but not as a rotation through the bench. I'd like to see him operating deep in the forward 50, using his height, leap and speed to keep a key defender occupied, even if only to lead out to make space for Reid and crumbers coming through.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I think that he will start, but not as a rotation through the bench. I'd like to see him operating deep in the forward 50, using his height, leap and speed to keep a key defender occupied, even if only to lead out to make space for Reid and crumbers coming through.
    In my humble opinion, the task he was born for. Long may it continue.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Must be selected on reputation alone.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast