Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Selections for round 1

Two players that haven't really looked deserving of a place on JLT form are Hayward and Rohan. I don't think Rose would displace either but would Florent? Is Gazza another (lack of) confidence player like Towers. Perhaps they should give him a run on the ball every now and again. It's done wonders for Deano's game.

Regular in the Side
    Rohan "disappeared" sometimes. Can he ever be considered to play as the stand-in ruckman to be more involved?

Regular in the Side
    We can joke about playing undersized ruckmen but I can tell you it is no fun rucking against substantially larger bodies. If Towers, Aliir, Reid, Parker or Rohan have to do most of the ruckwork through the 22 rounds their bodies will be stuffed by finals time when we need them. Apart from that they will be sacrificing their normal game for the good of the team. We need both Sinclair and Cameron to stand up through the season but unfortunately I would consider both as forwards who can provide relief in ruck rather than being the number one ruckman. In my book they are also both marginal in making the team as a forward but it is now what we have got. Pink and Amartey both have some promise but need to learn their trade in the NEAFL before even being considered. We now have easily the weakest rucks in the AFL, even weaker than Richmond who have Nankervis. Looking forward to seeing how Horse is going to be creative. Maybe putting a Naismith mask on Tom Derickx.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Rohan "disappeared" sometimes. Can he ever be considered to play as the stand-in ruckman to be more involved?
    What a great idea!

Towers and Rohan would make a great ruck duo, and we wouldn't even have to waste a spot on a ruckman, so to speak.

Our ruckmen use guile and deception, not physical contact.

Rohan wasn't all that bad. He was typical Rohan. Right now the goal is just to get him to round 1 with a full preseason. I think that would be a first and quite an accomplishment in itself. It's a long season and a healthy Rohan will make an important contribution to the club.

On another matter, with the new AFL video featuring Aliir, it might be taken as an embarrassment to the AFL if we left him out of our side, perhaps even worthy of sanctions, like losing our drafting rights to Nick Blakey. It's in Gil's playbook.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 12th March 2018 at 05:11 PM.

So the proposal would be that our 'ruckman' didn't actually jump for the ball?
    Just be ready to grab the opponent if he takes possession in the 'contest'?

On paper this has been discussed literally for years.
    There is nothing new in a proposal to play with no ruckman. Also not new, is that every team has not deviated from the standard unless forced.
    Perhaps there is a very good reason why the biggest choice seems to be how many ruckmen play rather than if any should play at all.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Playing Rohan as ruckman is a masterstroke. He will redefine the role. Speed is better than height.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean how many time do we see the lumbering ruckman fail to make it to the ball when the boundary important does a bad throw. .... Not when we have the fastest ruckman in the comp!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Playing Rohan as ruckman is a masterstroke. He will redefine the role. Speed is better than height.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean how many time do we see the lumbering ruckman fail to make it to the ball when the boundary important does a bad throw. .... Not when we have the fastest ruckman in the comp!
    Rhys Stanley (2009), Majak Daw (2015) are pretty quick genuine ruckmen

With Josh Kennedy (WC) ruled out of Round 1 I wonder if Grundy might be given another week and get back for Charlie Dixon and Round 2?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    With Josh Kennedy (WC) ruled out of Round 1 I wonder if Grundy might be given another week and get back for Charlie Dixon and Round 2?
    That�s a very interesting thought. On the other hand west coast looked worse than a NEAFL team on the weekend. I�m sure they will be significantly better in round one but I wouldn�t think it�s as tough a game as most other games so it may well be a good game for him to play.

There's a big difference between playing no ruck and a solo ruck. A midfield trio of Gablett, Danger and Selwood may neutralize it at times but even they would struggle over four quarters.
    The physical battering you take in the ruck is like no other position on the field.
    To say that Richmond set the blueprint for not using ruckmen is to imply that Nankervis had no impact, which is false.

I haven't seen much of the preseason games. What happened to Hayward? He was so good last year! He looked like a few more weight sessions over the pre-season and he would be ready to be a genuine star this year.

I didn't see anything about injuries (but the Swans are notoriously bad at updating injury lists). Has he had some other issues?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Playing ruckman did wonders for Towers. It forces a player who tends to go missing to get involved. Rohan is a real talent and should be in the middle of things. Add Aliir to the mix and we can count on 4 or 5 goals a games just bursting from the ruck contest. A Brontosaurus would be dead meat trying to handle that trio all day. Likely to go extinct by 3 quarter time.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    No NicNat either of course. Holding back Grundy allows us to use Sinclair, if Longmire is not brave enough to try a more dynamic ruck setup. No disrespect to WC, but we should smash them. It's a good game to try something new, but I'll bet the coaching staff will be too scared, having bean burnt so badly at the start of last year. They want a win on the board and will likely be conservative.

Grundy is a bit too slow for Dixon, who is surprisingly quick for a big man. Melican is a better matchup, I think. If they play Todd Marshall, Grundy can take him, else he might have to go with Watts. Marshall is also too quick for Reg, but Reg can physically abuse him. I'm assuming Aliir will play and take Ryder all over the ground. If Sinkers plays, we have no matchup for him.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast