Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 518

Thread: 2018 NEAFL discussion

  1. #1
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,142

    2018 NEAFL discussion

    I thought I'd launch a 2018 NEAFL discussion thread by asking whether anyone knows if there's a NEAFL practice game on this weekend? I think there has been in past years, and it's given underdone senior players the chance to get some more football into their legs in a bid to be fit for the start of the AFL season. But there's nothing currently on the Swans website about a game this weekend.

  2. #2
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,463
    The NEAFL website lists the following practice matches:

    Saturday, March 17


    Labrador v Redland at Cooke-Murphy Oval, 1pm
    Aspley v Southport at Graham Rd, 2.30pm
    Sydney Swans v Sydney University at Tramway Oval, 11am
    Canberra Demons v Lavington at Crossroads Oval, 2pm


    Friday, March 23


    Aspley v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 7pm


    Saturday, March 24


    Wilston Grange v Brisbane Lions at Bendigo Bank Oval, 12pm
    Gold Coast Suns v Palm Beach Currumbin, venue and time TBC
    GIANTS v Sydney University at Tom Wills Oval, 12pm


    Saturday, March 31


    Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns at South Pine Sports Complex, 1.30pm
    GIANTS v Sydney Swans at Tom Wills Oval, 12pm

  3. #3
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    14
    Apparently the game on Saturday (17th March) has been moved forward to a 10am start to minimise heat.

    Game is at Lakeside for those that have not caught up with the change of venue name.

  4. #4
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Apparently the game on Saturday (17th March) has been moved forward to a 10am start to minimise heat.

    Game is at Lakeside for those that have not caught up with the change of venue name.
    This was posted today - still has starting time at 11am

    NEAFL Practice Match Schedule: Week 2

  5. #5
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,256
    Did anyone go this morning?

  6. #6
    There was a reserves game as well when Swans played Giants and no report by Swans website at all. Giants had a report of course. The NEAFL is very important to the Swans for our injured playing returning, fringe players and the young up and coming talent. It will be interesting to so if the Swans website or FB site has any report on today's game. I would like to know who is playing.

  7. #7
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,003
    Our time in the NEAFL my be over.....

    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...7fce49de8f3ca5

  8. #8
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,142
    I went along to Moore Park this morning to watch the game. I figured Monty's intelligence about the game being moved forward an hour was probably correct, but didn't fancy hanging around for an hour in the heat if he happened to be wrong, so split the difference and arrived at 10.30am, which (of course) was the end of the first quarter. It would have been nice had the NEAFL website advertised the correct time. But would have been even nicer had the Swans bothered to tell us anything about the game on their website. For an organisation that does so many things wonderfully well, their media department continues to let them down in various ways, particularly when it comes to the reserves but in other ways too (and another RWO member knows of a recent example of them being pathetic).

    I'm not overly disappointed in missing the first quarter. The heat made watching for three quarters somewhat uncomfortable, so you can only imagine what it must have been like for the players having to run around in those conditions. They looked pretty tired by the time the final quarter came around.

    I know Sydney Uni are talking up their chances this season, having recruited some experienced AFL players since the end of last season. On the evidence of today's showing, there's still a big gap in class between most of their players and the kids (and not so young) at the Swans. However, I don't think they had many of their ex-AFL brigade out there today. I can't say for sure (as players look different in different colours) but I don't believe either Brandon Jack or Craig Bird played today. I also didn't see Hiscox or Richards, but I'm not sure if they've stayed at Uni for season 2018. Shaun Edwards was the only ex-listed Swan who I recognised, though I think at least a couple of the academy graduates were playing (Hebron, Baron-Hay).

    I couldn't see a scoreboard and wasn't keeping count but I think it was probably a comfortable win to the Swans, albeit relatively low scoring. The Swans didn't get great return for their general dominance of possession. Forward 50 play was generally scrappy and Uni defended well in numbers and with their physicality.

    The Swans playing were Cameron, Foote, Robinson, Rose, Marsh, COB, Amartey, Hayward, Maibaum, Pink (though he was injured just before half time and didn't return), Ronke, Styles, Bell, Brown, Stoddart and Reg.

    No sighting of Ling, while Dawson and McCartin were there watching, but not playing. AJ was involved in the coaching/organisation of the team on the side lines. There were also a number of the senior players in attendance. Most of them were huddled together in the shade under a canopy so I may not have spotted all of them, but those who were there included Parker, Towers, Papley, Aliir, Newman, McVeigh, Rampe, Mills and (I think) Florent. Maybe Rohan and Cunningham too.

    Not sure how many clues that gives us about who will line up against the Eagles next weekend. Marsh has played in most (all?) of the pre-season outings, including AFLX, and I thought he'd done well. But the fact he played today suggests he might be down in the pecking order. Or maybe they just wanted someone else with some experience in defence.

    I am expecting one of Rose or Hayward to play next weekend, just for team balance. Was today a chance for them both to state their case? Or are they both going to miss out? There were no surprises today from either. Rose mixed some good skill with a bit of selfish and lazy play (typical of him), while Hayward didn't do a huge amount but showed his class when he did get the ball. There were so many numbers from both sides parked in the Swans forward 50 while the ball was down there that it was hard for anyone to find the space to get a shot away at goal.

    The fact that neither Aliir nor Sinclair played might indicate they're not over their injuries. If either or both were, it would have been a good opportunity for them to get some competitive game time in. But that doesn't mean they won't be ready next week or won't be selected if they are ready.

    The non-playing of other around the edges of the best 22 - Florent, Cunningham, Newman - suggests they've probably done enough to earn their spot next weekend, while Robinson and Foote (not unexpectedly) are still a little way down the pecking order.

    Of those who played, I liked Ronke's game. He was busy and used the ball well. Cameron and Amartey shared the ruck work and also played forward. Cameron did more ruck work and stayed involved when the ball hit the ground. He was responsible for a few clearances as a result. But both he and Amartey looked more impressive playing as forwards than around-the-ground ruckmen. Amartey looks to have a good long kick on him but he pulled a couple of his shots at goal. I think he still kicked at least two, though, and took some good contested marks. Darcy also marked strongly and kicked a couple. Stoddart did more of what we saw him do in the senior practice games. He got caught a couple of times but his pace, evasive side-step and good kicking skills were on show. A couple of times he marked the ball within the forward 50 but out wide and I'd have loved to see him take a set shot to gauge that aspect of his kicking skills. But on each occasion he chose to centre the ball instead.

    Marsh and Robinson delivered what you'd expect from them - nothing spectacular but solid and reliable. Foote's disposal was pretty ordinary at times, and he was responsible for a free kick (not his) being reversed after jumping in a retaliating against a Uni player. Reg did what you'd expect Reg to do at this level. His selection next week will have nothing to do with form and everything to do with whether he's got enough miles into his legs).

    There were a few big bodied top-ups out there - not ruck or KPP sized big bodies but solidly built players nonetheless. But the only one I recognised from the U18 squad last year was Joey something (his surname escapes me but I'd recognise it if someone supplied it - I think his brother played as a top up a couple of years ago).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    There was a reserves game as well when Swans played Giants and no report by Swans website at all. Giants had a report of course. The NEAFL is very important to the Swans for our injured playing returning, fringe players and the young up and coming talent. It will be interesting to so if the Swans website or FB site has any report on today's game. I would like to know who is playing.
    Long time lurker...

    The game started at 10am, no update from the Swans on this. A minor issue but typical of the current lack of communication from the club. Surely a quick update to tragics like me would not have taken long for the club.

    Anyway, it was pretty mediocre to be honest and bloody hot. Sydney Uni were understandably a class below and on that note I am glad that we will be playing AFL opposition a lot more this season. It's rumoured that we'll be in a 14 team AFL reserves comp next year with the Vic and NSW/Qld teams and as far as I am concerned it cannot come soon enough.

    General observations
    - Lots of senior players there and assuming non injured players are being kept in cotton wool for next week we'll see Fox, Newman, Towers and Cunningham as starters.
    - Young Blakey was there as would be expected and he looks very comfortable around the listed players, he was having a good chat with Ling who was icing an ankle. Good to see him building those relationships, hard to see him not wanting to join us
    - Speaking of there was an older bloke there with them, think it may have been Dennis Carroll as he looked like he had a great connection with the younger players. Had a very attractive daughter with a very cute baby bulldog who seemed very comfortable being the only female around all the senior players.
    - I got there at 1/4 time so not sure if Ling played or not. McCartin and Dawson were also there but didn't play
    - Stoddart again looked great, not sure if he'll play senior footy this year due to his build but there's enough there to see why some pundits had him as top 30 in their phantom drafts. Could be a draft steal
    - Reg had a run and looked OK but he looked heavy to me, could see him struggling for a spot in our backline as the season goes on
    - Sinclair showed no signs of limping so assume he will be OK for next week
    - Cameron looked OK but Amarty stood out more for mine. Good leap, busy and a lovely boot. Surprisingly big for a first year draftee but still only an emergency this year
    - Hayward looked totally out of sorts for mine and I'd be very surprised to see him picked next week on what I saw. Has bulked up quite a bit though.
    - He is a bit on the small side but there is something about Bell I really like, at one stage he ran down a wing and then perfectly balanced hit a target at full pace. It was class and talent that you can't teach and for mine he looked way more classy than Brown
    - Of the others Rose stood out, was busy, took some strong marks and kicked a few goals. Not sure who he will replace though. Ronke was the other for me and played the small forward role very well. If he plays like that week in week out he will be pushing for senior selection as there may be an opening there with Papley moving more to the midfield
    - Foote and Robinson showed nothing to indicate they will not be delisted at season end
    Last edited by Papernick; 17th March 2018 at 06:16 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    888
    Good one, thanks Papernick and liz.

  11. #11
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    Long time lurker...

    The game started at 10am, no update from the Swans on this. A minor issue but typical of the current lack of communication from the club. Surely a quick update to tragics like me would not have taken long for the club.

    Anyway, it was pretty mediocre to be honest and bloody hot. Sydney Uni were understandably a class below and on that note I am glad that we will be playing AFL opposition a lot more this season. It's rumoured that we'll be in a 14 team AFL reserves comp next year with the Vic and NSW/Qld teams and as far as I am concerned it cannot come soon enough.

    General observations
    - Lots of senior players there and assuming non injured players are being kept in cotton wool for next week we'll see Fox, Newman, Towers and Cunningham as starters.
    - Young Blakey was there as would be expected and he looks very comfortable around the listed players, he was having a good chat with Ling who was icing an ankle. Good to see him building those relationships, hard to see him not wanting to join us
    - Speaking of there was an older bloke there with them, think it may have been Dennis Carroll as he looked like he had a great connection with the younger players. Had a very attractive daughter with a very cute baby bulldog who seemed very comfortable being the only female around all the senior players.
    - I got there at 1/4 time so not sure if Ling played or not. McCartin and Dawson were also there but didn't play
    - Stoddart again looked great, not sure if he'll play senior footy this year due to his build but there's enough there to see why some pundits had him as top 30 in their phantom drafts. Could be a draft steal
    - Reg had a run and looked OK but he looked heavy to me, could see him struggling for a spot in our backline as the season goes on
    - Sinclair showed no signs of limping so assume he will be OK for next week
    - Cameron looked OK but Amarty stood out more for mine. Good leap, busy and a lovely boot. Surprisingly big for a first year draftee but still only an emergency this year
    - Hayward looked totally out of sorts for mine and I'd be very surprised to see him picked next week on what I saw. Has bulked up quite a bit though.
    - He is a bit on the small side but there is something about Bell I really like, at one stage he ran down a wing and then perfectly balanced hit a target at full pace. It was class and talent that you can't teach and for mine he looked way more classy than Brown
    - Of the others Rose stood out, was busy, took some strong marks and kicked a few goals. Not sure who he will replace though. Ronke was the other for me and played the small forward role very well. If he plays like that week in week out he will be pushing for senior selection as there may be an opening there with Papley moving more to the midfield
    - Foote and Robinson showed nothing to indicate they will not be delisted at season end
    Thanks to you and Liz for your dedication. I write this from Bangers (Bangkok). Been here for job interviews. I think I might just write a weekly column on Aussie Rules in whatever Asian English daily wants it. Better than teaching English in Bangers.

    So Dawson and Long are still injured. That is a very big pity because our depth would have been far better for them being available. Good to hear Stoddart continuing on where he left off.

    Robbo was disgusting in the GWS match. His numbers told the story. If he really wants out why did he not force the issue and head for the preseason draft. Jordie is a different kettle of fish. Tries so hard but just doesn't have the skill set.

    I am a big wrap for young Bell. He has uncanny ability. His peripheral vision is sensational. He moves like a quicker Mickey O. This kid is a keeper and if he stays injury clear will be a wonderful player for many years.

    Interesting to hear the wraps on Amarty. He has obviously grown from his listed 196cm, not unexpected, but it was about his pulling down pack marks and kicking really long that interested me. Both he and Cameron are extremely mobile rucks. This gives us the flexibility of playing them as damaging forwards, exploiting opposition lack of height, and still being able to have a mobile forward set up who are able to harass the opposition.

    Glad to hear Reg got through OK. The only one I am worried about now, other than Sinkers and Aliir, is Ramps. Where is Sir Dane?

    Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    I thought Robinson was bog. He dominated the middle. He is clearly an inside mid, kinda sad he can’t get an opportunity to play his natural game in the seniors

Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO