Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 716

Thread: 2018 NEAFL discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,210

    2018 NEAFL discussion

    I thought I'd launch a 2018 NEAFL discussion thread by asking whether anyone knows if there's a NEAFL practice game on this weekend? I think there has been in past years, and it's given underdone senior players the chance to get some more football into their legs in a bid to be fit for the start of the AFL season. But there's nothing currently on the Swans website about a game this weekend.

  2. #2
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,579
    The NEAFL website lists the following practice matches:

    Saturday, March 17


    Labrador v Redland at Cooke-Murphy Oval, 1pm
    Aspley v Southport at Graham Rd, 2.30pm
    Sydney Swans v Sydney University at Tramway Oval, 11am
    Canberra Demons v Lavington at Crossroads Oval, 2pm


    Friday, March 23


    Aspley v Redland at South Pine Sports Complex, 7pm


    Saturday, March 24


    Wilston Grange v Brisbane Lions at Bendigo Bank Oval, 12pm
    Gold Coast Suns v Palm Beach Currumbin, venue and time TBC
    GIANTS v Sydney University at Tom Wills Oval, 12pm


    Saturday, March 31


    Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns at South Pine Sports Complex, 1.30pm
    GIANTS v Sydney Swans at Tom Wills Oval, 12pm

  3. #3
    On the Rookie List
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    14
    Apparently the game on Saturday (17th March) has been moved forward to a 10am start to minimise heat.

    Game is at Lakeside for those that have not caught up with the change of venue name.

  4. #4
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Apparently the game on Saturday (17th March) has been moved forward to a 10am start to minimise heat.

    Game is at Lakeside for those that have not caught up with the change of venue name.
    This was posted today - still has starting time at 11am

    NEAFL Practice Match Schedule: Week 2

  5. #5
    Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chucked into the ruck
    Posts
    14,364
    Did anyone go this morning?

  6. #6
    There was a reserves game as well when Swans played Giants and no report by Swans website at all. Giants had a report of course. The NEAFL is very important to the Swans for our injured playing returning, fringe players and the young up and coming talent. It will be interesting to so if the Swans website or FB site has any report on today's game. I would like to know who is playing.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmat View Post
    There was a reserves game as well when Swans played Giants and no report by Swans website at all. Giants had a report of course. The NEAFL is very important to the Swans for our injured playing returning, fringe players and the young up and coming talent. It will be interesting to so if the Swans website or FB site has any report on today's game. I would like to know who is playing.
    Long time lurker...

    The game started at 10am, no update from the Swans on this. A minor issue but typical of the current lack of communication from the club. Surely a quick update to tragics like me would not have taken long for the club.

    Anyway, it was pretty mediocre to be honest and bloody hot. Sydney Uni were understandably a class below and on that note I am glad that we will be playing AFL opposition a lot more this season. It's rumoured that we'll be in a 14 team AFL reserves comp next year with the Vic and NSW/Qld teams and as far as I am concerned it cannot come soon enough.

    General observations
    - Lots of senior players there and assuming non injured players are being kept in cotton wool for next week we'll see Fox, Newman, Towers and Cunningham as starters.
    - Young Blakey was there as would be expected and he looks very comfortable around the listed players, he was having a good chat with Ling who was icing an ankle. Good to see him building those relationships, hard to see him not wanting to join us
    - Speaking of there was an older bloke there with them, think it may have been Dennis Carroll as he looked like he had a great connection with the younger players. Had a very attractive daughter with a very cute baby bulldog who seemed very comfortable being the only female around all the senior players.
    - I got there at 1/4 time so not sure if Ling played or not. McCartin and Dawson were also there but didn't play
    - Stoddart again looked great, not sure if he'll play senior footy this year due to his build but there's enough there to see why some pundits had him as top 30 in their phantom drafts. Could be a draft steal
    - Reg had a run and looked OK but he looked heavy to me, could see him struggling for a spot in our backline as the season goes on
    - Sinclair showed no signs of limping so assume he will be OK for next week
    - Cameron looked OK but Amarty stood out more for mine. Good leap, busy and a lovely boot. Surprisingly big for a first year draftee but still only an emergency this year
    - Hayward looked totally out of sorts for mine and I'd be very surprised to see him picked next week on what I saw. Has bulked up quite a bit though.
    - He is a bit on the small side but there is something about Bell I really like, at one stage he ran down a wing and then perfectly balanced hit a target at full pace. It was class and talent that you can't teach and for mine he looked way more classy than Brown
    - Of the others Rose stood out, was busy, took some strong marks and kicked a few goals. Not sure who he will replace though. Ronke was the other for me and played the small forward role very well. If he plays like that week in week out he will be pushing for senior selection as there may be an opening there with Papley moving more to the midfield
    - Foote and Robinson showed nothing to indicate they will not be delisted at season end
    Last edited by Papernick; 17th March 2018 at 06:16 PM.

  8. #8
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    Long time lurker...

    The game started at 10am, no update from the Swans on this. A minor issue but typical of the current lack of communication from the club. Surely a quick update to tragics like me would not have taken long for the club.

    Anyway, it was pretty mediocre to be honest and bloody hot. Sydney Uni were understandably a class below and on that note I am glad that we will be playing AFL opposition a lot more this season. It's rumoured that we'll be in a 14 team AFL reserves comp next year with the Vic and NSW/Qld teams and as far as I am concerned it cannot come soon enough.

    General observations
    - Lots of senior players there and assuming non injured players are being kept in cotton wool for next week we'll see Fox, Newman, Towers and Cunningham as starters.
    - Young Blakey was there as would be expected and he looks very comfortable around the listed players, he was having a good chat with Ling who was icing an ankle. Good to see him building those relationships, hard to see him not wanting to join us
    - Speaking of there was an older bloke there with them, think it may have been Dennis Carroll as he looked like he had a great connection with the younger players. Had a very attractive daughter with a very cute baby bulldog who seemed very comfortable being the only female around all the senior players.
    - I got there at 1/4 time so not sure if Ling played or not. McCartin and Dawson were also there but didn't play
    - Stoddart again looked great, not sure if he'll play senior footy this year due to his build but there's enough there to see why some pundits had him as top 30 in their phantom drafts. Could be a draft steal
    - Reg had a run and looked OK but he looked heavy to me, could see him struggling for a spot in our backline as the season goes on
    - Sinclair showed no signs of limping so assume he will be OK for next week
    - Cameron looked OK but Amarty stood out more for mine. Good leap, busy and a lovely boot. Surprisingly big for a first year draftee but still only an emergency this year
    - Hayward looked totally out of sorts for mine and I'd be very surprised to see him picked next week on what I saw. Has bulked up quite a bit though.
    - He is a bit on the small side but there is something about Bell I really like, at one stage he ran down a wing and then perfectly balanced hit a target at full pace. It was class and talent that you can't teach and for mine he looked way more classy than Brown
    - Of the others Rose stood out, was busy, took some strong marks and kicked a few goals. Not sure who he will replace though. Ronke was the other for me and played the small forward role very well. If he plays like that week in week out he will be pushing for senior selection as there may be an opening there with Papley moving more to the midfield
    - Foote and Robinson showed nothing to indicate they will not be delisted at season end
    Thanks to you and Liz for your dedication. I write this from Bangers (Bangkok). Been here for job interviews. I think I might just write a weekly column on Aussie Rules in whatever Asian English daily wants it. Better than teaching English in Bangers.

    So Dawson and Long are still injured. That is a very big pity because our depth would have been far better for them being available. Good to hear Stoddart continuing on where he left off.

    Robbo was disgusting in the GWS match. His numbers told the story. If he really wants out why did he not force the issue and head for the preseason draft. Jordie is a different kettle of fish. Tries so hard but just doesn't have the skill set.

    I am a big wrap for young Bell. He has uncanny ability. His peripheral vision is sensational. He moves like a quicker Mickey O. This kid is a keeper and if he stays injury clear will be a wonderful player for many years.

    Interesting to hear the wraps on Amarty. He has obviously grown from his listed 196cm, not unexpected, but it was about his pulling down pack marks and kicking really long that interested me. Both he and Cameron are extremely mobile rucks. This gives us the flexibility of playing them as damaging forwards, exploiting opposition lack of height, and still being able to have a mobile forward set up who are able to harass the opposition.

    Glad to hear Reg got through OK. The only one I am worried about now, other than Sinkers and Aliir, is Ramps. Where is Sir Dane?

    Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    I thought Robinson was bog. He dominated the middle. He is clearly an inside mid, kinda sad he cant get an opportunity to play his natural game in the seniors

  10. #10
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,370
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I thought Robinson was bog. He dominated the middle. He is clearly an inside mid, kinda sad he cant get an opportunity to play his natural game in the seniors
    In the GWS match? 6 disposals. That is not good enough if you are going to make it as a mid at this level. I have always been a big wrap for Robbo bit as soon as he put it about he wanted out I now doubt his commitment. Same as Jessie

    Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Thanks to you and Liz for your dedication. I write this from Bangers (Bangkok). Been here for job interviews. I think I might just write a weekly column on Aussie Rules in whatever Asian English daily wants it. Better than teaching English in Bangers.

    So Dawson and Long are still injured. That is a very big pity because our depth would have been far better for them being available. Good to hear Stoddart continuing on where he left off.

    Robbo was disgusting in the GWS match. His numbers told the story. If he really wants out why did he not force the issue and head for the preseason draft. Jordie is a different kettle of fish. Tries so hard but just doesn't have the skill set.

    I am a big wrap for young Bell. He has uncanny ability. His peripheral vision is sensational. He moves like a quicker Mickey O. This kid is a keeper and if he stays injury clear will be a wonderful player for many years.

    Interesting to hear the wraps on Amarty. He has obviously grown from his listed 196cm, not unexpected, but it was about his pulling down pack marks and kicking really long that interested me. Both he and Cameron are extremely mobile rucks. This gives us the flexibility of playing them as damaging forwards, exploiting opposition lack of height, and still being able to have a mobile forward set up who are able to harass the opposition.

    Glad to hear Reg got through OK. The only one I am worried about now, other than Sinkers and Aliir, is Ramps. Where is Sir Dane?

    Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk
    No need for concern about Rampe, he was there with the senior players. He played good minutes in AFLX and in JLT1 so I assume that was deemed sufficient game time and have him ready for round 1.

    I agree re Bell, he reminded me of Mickey O with his balance. I think he will thrive in a full time environment.

    Amarty had a kick at goal from the 50m mark that went through at the top third of the goal posts. Not just that but his timing was such he barely seemed to kick it. It's early days but already I see him as potentially having more to offer than Pink who sadly was injured today.

    Think you are perhaps a bit harsh on Robbo, I don't think "forcing the issue" was ever the case. No reason he would walk out on a contract, just throwing out the fact he'd be open to a trade. That there was no interest we know of says it all. He is a classic depth player, he may get a second chance as a rookie elsewhere but I doubt he's got any draft currency for us

  12. #12
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,027
    Our time in the NEAFL my be over.....

    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...7fce49de8f3ca5

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO