Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1982 Round 1 Swans v Melbourne TRIVIA

1982 Round 1 Swans v Melbourne TRIVIA

I was just watching the Swans first game after their relocation to Sydney for the 1982 season. Round 1 vs Melbourne. I thought it might be interesting to recount some interesting points about the encounter. So get your thinking caps on, & reply to the question (with quote) with the answers ...
    Last edited by goswannies; 15th March 2018 at 10:48 PM.

1) An easy one for starters. Who won the first game the Swans played after their relocation to Sydney Round 1 vs the Melbourne Demons at the SCG ... and what were the scores?

2) What day of the week was the game played on?

3) The commentators consistently referred to the newly relocated Swans as what, during their commentary of the match? (a bonus point if you can name all three commentators)

4) Who kicked the first ever goal for the relocated Swans on the SCG?

5) Who kicked the final goal for the game in the dying minutes?

6) Six significant participants in this this match had "a foot in both camps" (ie both the Swans and the Demons). Who were they? There was technically a seventh person with a historical foot in both camps who was also involved with the broadcast - bonus point if you can identify them too )

7) There were three people were involved in this match who were senior coaches with the Sydney Swans. Who were they?

8) Who was the Swans major sponsor for the 1982 season?

9) 5 disposals for the game, I was still the highest scorer for the match. Who am I and what was my scoresheet for the day?

10) The second highest number of hitouts for each team for the match (Stephen Allender for the Swans with 12, Michael Byrne for Melbourne with 6) share something in common. What is it?

11) Three players who would captain the Sydney Swans played in this game. Who were they?

12) The Swans had two pairs of family members representing them in their inaugural game at the SCG, who were they?

13) What Cup did the Swans and the Demons play for in this match?

14) Prize money was awarded for this match. How much was awarded to the winner?

14) Three Brownlow Medalists played in this match. Who were they?

15) Who had the most disposals (35) for the match?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Travelled up from Melbourne for the game with a Demon-supporting mate. To my shame, can only remember a few answers.(Well, it was a long time ago!!)
    Resisted the urge to Google the match!

1. We won !

2. It was a Sunday.

6. David Rhys Jones, Gerard Healy, Shane Zantuck, Michael Byrne and some others.

8. Was it Channel 7? They sponsored us for a while, I think.

9. John Roberts but don't know his score.

10. They both played for Hawthorn.

12. Two Morwoods. There were two Carrolls but don't think they were related?

14. Gerard Healy, Brian Wilson and Roundy!!

Apart from winning, my main memory of the game came just before the first bounce. I called out, "C'mon the Bloods!" A young boy sitting in front of me turned and looked at me like I was an alien and then asked his Dad what I was talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Travelled up from Melbourne for the game with a Demon-supporting mate. To my shame, can only remember a few answers.(Well, it was a long time ago!!)
    Resisted the urge to Google the match!
    Admirable and impressed with your attempt!

1. We won !
    Correct!

2. It was a Sunday.
    correct! All our home games were Sunday games back then. It was a loophole for televising

6. David Rhys Jones, Gerard Healy, Shane Zantuck, Michael Byrne and some others.
    3 right there (DRJ was Carlton)

8. Was it Channel 7? They sponsored us for a while, I think.
    Don�t think we were ever sponsored by channe 7.

9. John Roberts but don't know his score.
    Correct!

10. They both played for Hawthorn.
    Well, that�s true. Half mark for that. But there is something Swans related of significance.

12. Two Morwoods. There were two Carrolls but don't think they were related?
    Correct. Correct. Incorrect.

14. Gerard Healy, Brian Wilson and Roundy!!
    Correct!

Apart from winning, my main memory of the game came just before the first bounce. I called out, "C'mon the Bloods!" A young boy sitting in front of me turned and looked at me like I was an alien and then asked his Dad what I was talking about!
    I�m very impressed with your recall and that you were there. For me, I remember growing up in country Vic and finally being able to see my Swannies play live (albeit on TV - it was better than listening to it on the radio which I had done for years ... even occasionally settling for �around the grounds� updates when the Swans weren�t airing in my area). I watched this game with joy & pride (and have watched replays many times since). Great effort Sandridge!
    Last edited by goswannies; 16th March 2018 at 06:28 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks goswannies!

I've learned something today. Always thought the Carrolls weren't related but have researched them - after your reply - and found out they were cousins.

Would like another go at Question 10 please! Did they both wear the same number? 4 or 14 seem familiar to me?

Can wait for the answers to most of the ones I didn't know but am busting for the answer to Question 3 please!!

Thanks goswannies!

I've learned something today. Always thought the Carrolls weren't related but have researched them - after your reply - and found out they were cousins.

Would like another go at Question 10 please! Did they both wear the same number? 4 or 14 seem familiar to me?

Can wait for the answers to most of the ones I didn't know but am busting for the answer to Question 3 please!!
    Yes! Cousins!

Yes Skilton�s 14

I�ll wait for someone else to get the rest - including Question 3
    Last edited by goswannies; 16th March 2018 at 09:09 PM.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Q3 Just a guess

PETER LANDY LOU RICHARDS ???probably not BOB DAVIS ???

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Q3 Just a guess

PETER LANDY LOU RICHARDS ???probably not BOB DAVIS ???
    Correct, correct ... and half correct not Bob Davis

And what did they keep calling the recently located Swans during the coverage?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

South or South Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    South or South Melbourne
    Correct! Both were often referred to during the broadcast, despite the relocation! Good work royboy

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Q3 Thanks for the clue

Of course !!!!

It was our own Bobby Skilton...

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Q3 Thanks for the clue

Of course !!!!

It was our own Bobby Skilton...
    well done indeed! I loved Bob�s comments. Always the voice of reason during Swans matches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast