Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Rohan

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Wasn�t suggesting he should have played this week; more that When he�s fit he plays. There was no other conundrum for the selectors as Steve suggested there might be.
    You may be right about the 'conundrum' but I thought Haywood might get in ahead of Gary even though neither showed great preseason form. Haywood didn't get in anyway but Florent and Fox are ahead of Rohan on current form and all the other positions pretty much write themselves. The team looks pretty balanced to me.

I would say if fit and in form, he's a lock but he has to earn it like anyone else. We all know how good he can be but consistency has been a millstone to his progression to dependable star, which he should be....by now. I love him but history is slowly stacking up against him.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You may be right about the 'conundrum' but I thought Haywood might get in ahead of Gary even though neither showed great preseason form. Haywood didn't get in anyway but Florent and Fox are ahead of Rohan on current form and all the other positions pretty much write themselves. The team looks pretty balanced to me.

I would say if fit and in form, he's a lock but he has to earn it like anyone else. We all know how good he can be but consistency has been a millstone to his progression to dependable star, which he should be....by now. I love him but history is slowly stacking up against him.
    My guess is that the selectors value him more highly than you do for his chasing and pressure. It's not just about stats - not even smothers, tackles, etc. Part of his value is how quickly he moves to close space for defenders trying to find a target out of the forward 50.

I think Rohan and Hayward are both in our best 22 when fit and available. Hayward hasn't had much of a pre-season, and is still very young (and skinny) so I don't have an issue with them leaving him out of the team until he's ready. But when he is, I think he'll come into the team.

I don't mind the team that has been picked in terms of the individual players. They are all highly capable. But balance wise it doesn't look quite right. Newman, Fox, Cunningham, McVeigh - all have played most of their recent football or have been training this off-season as half-back flankers. When you add them to Mills and Lloyd, that's a lot of players for that part of the ground. The selectors' hands were tied a bit this week, particularly with Rohan's unavailability, but I'll be curious to see how they structure the team. We just have Franklin and Reid as full-time forwards, with Jack and Papley likely to rotate between the forward line and the midfield. Maybe both will spend more time in the forward line this week than they will normally. Maybe Mills will get to spend a bit of time in the midfield. But one of more of those medium sized defenders is going to need to spend time forward as well, or we'll have an exceedingly crowded defence.

Veterans List
    Well, Gary has finally made it to 100 games.....an achievement of application and persistence through some immense professional and life challenges, the latter and biggest only recently. Well done Gary......have a blinder on Saturday.

Rohan's long journey to 100 AFL games - AFL.com.au

Hear, hear!!

I really hope that everyone digs deep and wins for him.
    (We're not terribly good at milestone matches!!)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Hear, hear!!

I really hope that everyone digs deep and wins for him.
    (We're not terribly good at milestone matches!!)
    His pressure and speed has been instrumental in us winning a number of close games during his career despite low possession count.

It�s a monumental milestone for Gary.
    What remarkable fortitude to come back from such a severe injury and play with the guts and disregard for further damage to his body.

Great to see Gaz finally make it 100 - hopefully the run to 200 is much shorter for him!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blog Entries
    How important was his contribution in the last term against the cats?
    Created a couple of goals out of nothing.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Well, Gary has finally made it to 100 games.....an achievement of application and persistence through some immense professional and life challenges, the latter and biggest only recently. Well done Gary......have a blinder on Saturday.

Rohan's long journey to 100 AFL games - AFL.com.au
    Well said, Stevo!!

Regular in the Side
    The best piece written so far about his story. I almost cried.
    Category: | Herald Sun

Wu�s piece in the SMH was outstanding .

Veterans List
    I knew that Rohan's injury was really really bad but when you read what Nathan Gibbs described it really hits you how amazing it is that Rohan was able to come back and play footy again. I loved the bit about how Rohan was still wearing his swans top at the hospital ????.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast