Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWO #AFL Round 1 weekend discussion thread

Pies for the spoon........unless Buckley gets sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Pies for the spoon........unless Buckley gets sacked.
    Pies for the spoon for the next two seasons, if Buckley gets sacked and Eddie decides that he can do the coaching job himself.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Tom Mitchell. What a champion!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    54 disposals. Wish he was racking up those numbers in red & white. Love Tippett. But wish his salary went toward keeping Mitchell in hindsight. Mostly sad that Diesel�s record as a Swan has been broken.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    54 disposals. Wish he was racking up those numbers in red & white. Love Tippett. But wish his salary went toward keeping Mitchell in hindsight. Mostly sad that Diesel�s record as a Swan has been broken.
    He wouldn't be getting those numbers as a Swan because, unlike Hawthorn, we have several players capable of playing on-ball. And we needed more variety in our midfield.

A fit and firing Tippett in the team would go further towards helping us win a premiership this year than a fit and firing Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He wouldn't be getting those numbers as a Swan because, unlike Hawthorn, we have several players capable of playing on-ball. And we needed more variety in our midfield.

A fit and firing Tippett in the team would go further towards helping us win a premiership this year than a fit and firing Mitchell.
    If only we had a fit & firing Tippett. At almost any time over the last few years. As I said, my comment was only made with the benefit of hindsight. I have always been a Tippett fan. And agreed, Mitchell probably wouldn�t be getting those numbers in our mid-field. But I would happily settle for 30-40 touches a game from him (which he was getting).

Ryder getting injured in Port�s game is handy for us. He is one of the athletic rucks that could�ve really hurt us both in the ruck and around the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Watching the Hawks v Pies game, the Hawks are going to be a very dangerous team if they can stay fit. On the other hand, I really can�t see the Pies finishing higher than 12th which would be awesome with us holding the 2nd round draft pick.
    I didn't mind the look of Sam Murray though. I watched only the second half, but he looked willing to take some risks to try and get some offense going for the pies in that third quarter. A bit like Zak Jones in some of his early games. (I don't rate him as highly as Jones though).

I don't mind letting him go, but perhaps we didn't do the pies over quite as much as I thought on that one.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I didn't mind the look of Sam Murray though. I watched only the second half, but he looked willing to take some risks to try and get some offense going for the pies in that third quarter. A bit like Zak Jones in some of his early games. (I don't rate him as highly as Jones though).

I don't mind letting him go, but perhaps we didn't do the pies over quite as much as I thought on that one.
    Let's wait and see on Murray. My take is that he has a couple of tricks but that they are ones the opposition will be able to work out and counter. A lot of footballers look good in their first few games because they're unknown. Yet to see if he has the nous or finesse to vary his approach when the opposition knows what he's going to do.

Veterans List
    What a strange feeling finding myself barracking for Hawthorn just because I want the Pies to finish as low as possible and therefore elevate the second rounder we're holding.

Really pleased that the Suns got up for Stewie Dew, how about the conditions up there in Cairns, at least the rain was warm :-)

Agree completely. No argument that Mitchell is a fantastic ball winner, but we have a full house of those. Mitchell has been great for Hawthorn, but his leaving has permitted Hewett to emerge in our midfield and got us Ollie Florent in the draft, who will provide more of the kind of skill set we need. A trade that was a winner for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Ryder getting injured in Port�s game is handy for us. He is one of the athletic rucks that could�ve really hurt us both in the ruck and around the ground.
    I'm worried about this. Port will have a big advantage playing without a ruckman. I wonder what we can do to counter it.

Let's wait and see on Murray. My take is that he has a couple of tricks but that they are ones the opposition will be able to work out and counter. A lot of footballers look good in their first few games because they're unknown. Yet to see if he has the nous or finesse to vary his approach when the opposition knows what he's going to do.
    Agree again, Liz. Good luck to Murray. Whatever the case, we did well in the trade. We are producing more AFL quality players than we can fit in the senior side. Getting what is hopefully a top 25 pick is excellent value. He would never get a chance with us, especially now that we have Ling and Stoddart on board.

Veterans List
    Ryder out for some weeks with an Achilles, hurts my Supercoach team but assists us next week against Port.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    What a strange feeling finding myself barracking for Hawthorn just because I want the Pies to finish as low as possible and therefore elevate the second rounder we're holding.

Really pleased that the Suns got up for Stewie Dew, how about the conditions up there in Cairns, at least the rain was warm :-)
    I wanted the Wobbles to lose more than I wanted the Hawks to lose, but I can't watch a game like that.
    Too hard to form a soft spot for either team, even only for a couple of hours.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast