Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Eagles - match day thread

Yes, I wanted to mention Melican who until now had not received any love on this thread but who did a fine job last night, I thought. Nothing spectacular, just good. Along with Smooch, both had good games on a night when our defence gave up more points that we would like. Macca was one of the more disappointing. It's going to be an ongoing question how long we are willing to trade off Macca's compromised speed and pressure for his on-field general status. At least he uses the ball well when he gets it. We do have a youngish team but I feel like we are less needy of Macca than the Lions are of Hodge. I daresay Macca will have some games where he has more impact and winds back the clock a little but overall I feel doubtful about having him in the team. We can look to Rampe, Reg, Smooch and Mills to step into the breach if he is omitted. They all have enough experience and/or leadership ability to step into these roles and direct play and we're going to have to get used to not having Macca sooner or later. Sooner on the evidence.

Early on I was especially impressed by Hewett being so composed and enterprising. I would like to see a little of that composure rub off on Jones, who could certainly benefit from it. I guess his strengths are different: his passion and mongrel and carry of the ball. It was encouraging to see a few of the younger leaders stepping up (Heeney and Hewett in particular) and being among the bests.

One other thing I noticed: the relief from our players when we won. We were unusually happy and... relieved. I wasn't expecting that. The commentators were apparently speaking about it and then JPK referred to it in his post match interview too. I wonder why the coaches were so anxious? Have a little faith! Apparently it's because of our slow start last year but that just doesn't make that much sense to me. After our slow start we played like a freight train for months on end so surely that is the more relevant memory? While every game is important and it's good to start the season well it's even more important to be playing well at the end of the season.

Heeney watching:

Must say that Heeney played a stack of roles yest inside outside forward and back

Such a challenge and imposed himself on the game yest ...... he wants that midfield spot bad doesn�t he ? ????

Nearly every Swans' player is a capable midfielder. Expect to see a panoply of players lining up on ball this year. And our best inside mids, Kennedy and Parker, are both excellent forwards, so it's not just Danger and Ablett who are the big midfield guns who can kick goals. We had a great spread of contested possession in the game and expect that to continue throughout the year.

Towers 5 tackles, Cunningham 6. Who would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Let�s see might have something to do with a 68% winning record as a coach, making finals every year he�s coached, coached us to 3 Grand finals and delivered ua a premiership, took us to a finals campaign despite a 0:6 start. All of this despite a trade ban that severely limited outer recruiting. Some people are hard to please
    I agree! Criticism is fine if it's fair!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    If that was the 2018 version of Nick Smith out there then he is in for a stellar year. He was superb in a backline that soaked up an immense amount of pressure at times.

Had started to wonder about Smith but he was outstanding all night. Best game for some time. Great sign for rest of season.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Had started to wonder about Smith but he was outstanding all night. Best game for some time. Great sign for rest of season.
    I thought Smith was excellent in 2017, after a shaky 2015/6 where his defending was still good but his disposal (especially kicking) was less reliable. I suspect there are usually undisclosed injury issues that explain slight drop-offs in form/skill. I reckon he suffered with sore groins/OP during that 2015/6 period. The penetration in his kicking - never exactly a strong point but mostly adequate over his career - seemed off.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes
    10 Franklin
    7 Parker
    5 Heeney
    4 LeCras
    2 Darling
    2 Hurn

Franklin 5-5
    Parker 4-3
    Heeney 3-2
    LeCras 4-0
    Darling/Hurn 1-1/2-0

Or

Franklin 5-5
    Parker 4-3
    Heeney 4-1
    LeCras 3-1
    Darling/Hurn 2-0 each

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Rohan

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hanners and Reid are auto selections.

Who knows with Allie, and Rohan is fighting it out with Hayward for the small tall. I'd have Hayward.

So we had close to our best 22 out there yesterday, minus the two above.
    Frankly speaking I cannot see a place for Rohan in the side. I am still in shock about receiving a good go from umpiring in Western Australia. I thought I would Never witness this in my life time. Maybe this new umps boss, Mr Williams has made a difference?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes
    10 Franklin
    7 Parker
    5 Heeney
    4 LeCras
    2 Darling
    2 Hurn

Franklin 5-5
    Parker 4-3
    Heeney 3-2
    LeCras 4-0
    Darling/Hurn 1-1/2-0

Or

Franklin 5-5
    Parker 4-3
    Heeney 4-1
    LeCras 3-1
    Darling/Hurn 2-0 each
    Surely the second of those two permutations? LeCras was decent but I can't see either coach having him a second best on ground (and the other not rating him at all).

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd have Rohan AND Hayward in my team (and Reid too). We weren't tested too much in the forward pressure stakes yesterday, in part due to Buddy's brilliant efficiency. But we'll have sterner tests and those two both apply pressure that doesn't appear on the stat sheets. I wouldn't necessarily have had Hayward in the team before yesterday's game, after an interrupted pre-season and quiet pre-season campaign. But he played well yesterday.

Who to leave out is a much harder question. I guess Florent, Fox, Cunningham, Newman (and McVeigh) are the ones most under the pump, purely on the basis that the rest of the team is pretty secure, not because I thought any of those players was poor, or doesn't deserve a spot. I think we just have a pretty strong best 26 or 27 this season and some good players are going to find themselves in the NEAFL at times.

Surely there�s some way to combine Rohan and McVeigh into a useful AFL playing cyborg. Lighting quick, stupidly courageous, skilled and composed?