Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I don't get the criticism of Jones.

He plays hard and intense, and with plenty of dare...
    Yes, but he also was down skillwise hence the criticism
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If Reid missed because of a hamstring, he won't be available.
    It was tight rather than pinged, so precautionary.

Warming the Bench
    I think if Reid, Hannas and Rohan are all fit and train well they'll be in next week. On the whole not many passengers last week, some rusty skills but that's to be expected.

For the outs it would have to be 3 of Florent/McVeigh/Cunningham/Fox/Hayward/Newman. The first 3 miss out for mine

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I think if Reid, Hannas and Rohan are all fit and train well they'll be in next week. On the whole not many passengers last week, some rusty skills but that's to be expected.

For the outs it would have to be 3 of Florent/McVeigh/Cunningham/Fox/Hayward/Newman. The first 3 miss out for mine
    No way Hayward can be dropped. And I like fox as a player as much as I like his name.

The other three are in danger.

Regular in the Side
    Disposal Efficiency Hayward 47.6% Florent 100%
    Time on ground Hayward 75% Florent 67%
    Really liked what I saw of Florent but there was not enough of it.
    He will likely be the first omission but he looks great for the future.

Time on Ground

I often look at the TOG as an indicator of the coaches views on their personnel - who is carrying injuries, like for like rotations, protection of youth etc, as well as an assessment of value to the team.

Surprisingly Jack played only 66% of the R1 game, with Florent at 67% a more understandable TOG.

Hewett, Haywood Cunningham and Newman were all at 79%; again seems a reasonable assessment (but which emphasis how well Hewett played)

At the other end of the TOG spectrum were (surprisingly) Lloyd, and Mills at 94%

All others were between 89% (Melican and Franklin) and Towers at 78%.

So a pretty even spread - and not much of a clue as to who might be ranked lowly and omitted for this week!

- - - Updated - - -

Hewett etc were at 75% not 79%

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree with Auntie and others about Florent.

There was so much criticism of Lloyd in his first run of senior footy. Same with Hewett. So many questioning why he was getting a game. They finished 2nd and 5th respectively in the B&F last year. Now everyone loves them.

We have to look at what Florent, and Hayward as well, offer for this stage of their development, which involves skills, as well as physical and mental development. Both seem very advanced to me in all areas except physical development. Lloyd was similar. He was very committed and mentally tough, but simply not strong enough to mix it with the big guys. He's growing into it now.

It's hard to decide how much senior game time to give them when there are options available that might produce better short term results for a team seriously looking to win a premiership.

We have to back our development group. They've done such a great job bringing through players of all types to play a high level of AFL footy.

At this stage of the game we should be looking at the kinds of things that Florent and Hayward can do. They are both very classy footballers. Once they get the physical strength and experience to win more of the ball, we will see them explode on to the AFL scene.

Have to disagree. I think Lloyd was a bit of a ball magnet from the start. The early criticism was around ineffective disposal - short kick, missing targets etc. Florent struggles to win the ball but his disposal is excellent.

I'd leave Rohan out. Do we really need him? Still not sure what it is exactly he provides the team...

In: Hanners, Reid
    Out: Cunningham and Florent

Hayward had a great game. Lots of touches in tight with the hands, which is something he wasnt doing last year. The majority of his touches would have been in the central third of the ground.

Regular in the Side
    I would not call Hayward's disposal efficiency of 47.6% as great. Easily the worst for the team and even boosted by his last charity free goal.

I really liked Hayward's game. Really got himself involved in the contests, and those two goals at the end were reward for his effort. Only averaged 9 goals a game in 2017, so early signs are good.

Zac Jones simply has to be in the side, he attacks the contests hard, breaks the lines and makes daring plays (which can backfire), but he's the exact type of player we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    I really liked Hayward's game. Really got himself involved in the contests, and those two goals at the end were reward for his effort. Only averaged 9 goals a game in 2017, so early signs are good.
    He will have to up his game if he wants to reach 200 this year. It would be a shame if he fell 2 goals short and had to wait for finals to cross 200. I think he's got Lance covered, even with Buddy's good start. Will should overtake him in a couple of weeks, unless he gets dropped.

Goes up to 11
    Lloyd's TOG stat isn't a surprise - in fact I thought it could be even higher. He's a running machine and his high levels of fitness have pretty much got him where he is today.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast