Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

We are in a fairly luxurious position with depth

I really liked how much towers pulled away as the small ruckman as he had some very important fathers and disposals

Oppositely lysaght has minimal impact I thought

Tough match up for two ruckman to keep up with a ruckman plus midfielder

The article on afl.com suggests that Hanners will likely come in but Reid is doubtful and Aliir is ruled out. Rohan could also miss awaiting the birth of his twins.

It would be good if at least one of Rohan or Reid can play Sunday to give us another strong forward target. Port will be missing a couple of solid mid-sized defenders in Pittard and Broadbent, but they seem to have a lot of depth all over the ground and can cover injuries quite well.

I hope Aliir can at least get a run in the reserves practice match this week. It looks as we might be targeting a round 3 comeback against a very tall GWS forward line. There are a few teams where it would be very helpful to play 3 KPDs + Rampe, the Giants being one, with Essendon and Adelaide the other 2. On the flip side, I wouldn't play Reg against Richmond and even maybe just one of Aliir or Melican. There's just no good matchup for Reg v Tigers. We will have to be flexible with this as well as our ruck combos during the season.

I agree that Rohan or Reid is important. I think it worked well leaving Buddy one out against West Coast but opposition teams will work out a way to double team him. I have always like Rohan playing as full forward. If we can manufacture an open forward line again, he and Buddy can lead to different places using their speed and athleticism.

It seems as though our official website injury list is now gone. Injury reporting has started out the season in an ever more haphazard fashion. Although we are still awaiting the possible weekly media appearance from our Manager in Charge of Obfuscation, he seems to be doing his fine work behind the scenes.

We know that Toby Pink has a serious ankle injury which will keep him out for six weeks plus, but not a mention. Hot prospect for a shot in our best 22 this year, Jordan Dawson, was apparently closing in on a return date, but has now dropped off the radar. Also no news on Matt Ling. Is he ready to play now? At least we are being kept updated on AJ.

I don't know if there's any official AFL policy on injury reporting. It seems to be left up to each club to decide what they want to do, although they like to have updates by late Tuesday. The details don't seem to matter much.

Watch this space.

From the AFL website:
    Aliir Aliir Ankle 1 week
    Alex Johnson Groin/hip 1-2 weeks
    Sam Naismith Knee Season
    Sam Reid Hamstring Test
    Gary Rohan Personal reasons TBC
    Kurt Tippett Retired
    Ludwig Mental Illness TBC
    Updated: Tuesday, March 27
    Early prognosis
    Hannebery (calf) is likely to be back to face Port Adelaide, but Reid is in doubt again. He'll continue his running program on Wednesday so could miss again, while Aliir is likely another week away. Rohan is another set to miss as he awaits the complicated birth of twins. - Adam Curley

TB-Committed

Out: either Florent or Macca
    In: Hanners

Give Reid another week or so to get right. Rohan should still be on leave. Mills to get midfield time!

Senior Player
    I agree with the ins but I think it�s fox who will go out.

I also think Reid needs another week and Rohan needs to focus on his personal life

Florent needs to play imo as he�s shown glimpses of how good he can be but needs to develop in the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    We are in a fairly luxurious position with depth

I really liked how much towers pulled away as the small ruckman as he had some very important fathers and disposals

Oppositely lysaght has minimal impact I thought

Tough match up for two ruckman to keep up with a ruckman plus midfielder
    I knew that Afrikaans course would come in handy one day.

I agree. Consistency would be the best thing for a young player like Ollie. Lots of upside with him and I don't think we've half of what he's capable of.

Macca brings a lot of experience, but he's pretty slow. Watching the replay just confirmed it. But will the coaches leave him out?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Have to disagree. I think Lloyd was a bit of a ball magnet from the start. The early criticism was around ineffective disposal - short kick, missing targets etc. Florent struggles to win the ball but his disposal is excellent.
    Yep, I agree they are different cases.

I didn't really understand the early criticism of Lloyd. I thought his kicking was pretty good for a young player. He was slight and knocked off the ball a little easily, but that's not really his fault. Not anymore; one of our most important players.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It would be good if at least one of Rohan or Reid can play Sunday to give us another strong forward target. Port will be missing a couple of solid mid-sized defenders in Pittard and Broadbent, but they seem to have a lot of depth all over the ground and can cover injuries quite well.

I hope Aliir can at least get a run in the reserves practice match this week. It looks as we might be targeting a round 3 comeback against a very tall GWS forward line. There are a few teams where it would be very helpful to play 3 KPDs + Rampe, the Giants being one, with Essendon and Adelaide the other 2. On the flip side, I wouldn't play Reg against Richmond and even maybe just one of Aliir or Melican. There's just no good matchup for Reg v Tigers. We will have to be flexible with this as well as our ruck combos during the season.
    Longmire stated today that Aliir isn't available for selection this week, as they don't want to take risks with his ankle.

He said Reid would run during the first session and not participate in the main training. Sounded unlikely to me.

I suspect Rohan's return depends on his family situation. All the best to him.

Given the above, suspect Hannebery the only in, for one of Florent, Cunningham or Newman.

This will be one of the 3 regular season games I get to see this year; can't wait.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast