Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 139

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

  1. #37
    I agree that one or Reid or Rohan plus Hanners could be an option with Florent and Newman or Harry. who would be very unlucky, making way. A good problem to have - the 22 last week plus Aliir, Hanners, Rohan and Reid gives us a squad of 26 genuine first teamers who should all get decent game time as the season progresses.

  2. #38
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    6,474
    Newman's name coming up as a potential omission is reminiscent of the times when Hewett's name used to come up on a regular basis. I don't think enough fans understand what a significant contribution Nic has made since coming into the team last year.

    • He's a consistent 20 possession a game player.
    • He's a physical player who makes an impact on numerous contests around the ground.
    • He's quick to pick us the right opposition player on our turnovers and has a good awareness of what has to be done defensively in those situations.
    • He kills a lot of potential opposition attacks by forcing stoppages when we are in an unfavourable situation.
    • He has a quick footy brain.
    • He's an adept handballer, having a good awareness of the play around him.
    • He can be a lethal left foot kick, hitting targets with laser 50 metre passes.
    • He can kick a goal from outside 50.
    • He has a solid consistent all around game.
    • He can play numerous positions.


    We don't want to drop a 25 yo 21 gamer who's playing well. This is the time for him to make solid gains in performance. As much as I would like to see Florent and Hayward continue their development, guys like Newman and Fox need to establish themselves now. They are making a bigger contribution than the youngsters are to the team as of now. I don't know about the future, but our kids have time to develop in the NEAFL. They have long careers ahead of them.

    Hayward had a nice 19 possessions, but didn't have much impact. He was targeted by the Eagles defence as the player to run off. Hurn took him all the way to goal, kicking their last goal in the 1st quarter. LeCras ran away from him in the 4th qtr, leading to the Waterman goal. There was little fear that he was going to be able to tackle any of their defenders coming out from their defensive 50. It's not really a criticism, but just something that lightly built young players have to go through in their 1st few seasons.

    Port have an experienced side with a lot of very solidly build players. It's probably not the best game for Hayward or Florent to play this season.

  3. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Newman's name coming up as a potential omission is reminiscent of the times when Hewett's name used to come up on a regular basis. I don't think enough fans understand what a significant contribution Nic has made since coming into the team last year.

    • He's a consistent 20 possession a game player.
    • He's a physical player who makes an impact on numerous contests around the ground.
    • He's quick to pick us the right opposition player on our turnovers and has a good awareness of what has to be done defensively in those situations.
    • He kills a lot of potential opposition attacks by forcing stoppages when we are in an unfavourable situation.
    • He has a quick footy brain.
    • He's an adept handballer, having a good awareness of the play around him.
    • He can be a lethal left foot kick, hitting targets with laser 50 metre passes.
    • He can kick a goal from outside 50.
    • He has a solid consistent all around game.
    • He can play numerous positions.


    We don't want to drop a 25 yo 21 gamer who's playing well. This is the time for him to make solid gains in performance. As much as I would like to see Florent and Hayward continue their development, guys like Newman and Fox need to establish themselves now. They are making a bigger contribution than the youngsters are to the team as of now. I don't know about the future, but our kids have time to develop in the NEAFL. They have long careers ahead of them.

    Hayward had a nice 19 possessions, but didn't have much impact. He was targeted by the Eagles defence as the player to run off. Hurn took him all the way to goal, kicking their last goal in the 1st quarter. LeCras ran away from him in the 4th qtr, leading to the Waterman goal. There was little fear that he was going to be able to tackle any of their defenders coming out from their defensive 50. It's not really a criticism, but just something that lightly built young players have to go through in their 1st few seasons.

    Port have an experienced side with a lot of very solidly build players. It's probably not the best game for Hayward or Florent to play this season.
    Donít disagree at all with that, my post was more on what I expect to happen.

  4. #40
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I think it is time to start discussing next week.

    Potentially, we have Hanners, Rohan, Reid, and Aliir all available to come into the team this round. I suspect 4 changes may be too many in one go with Aliir having to come through the NEAFL. The players likely to be dropped are between Florent, Cunningham, Fox, Newman, and McVeigh. Personally, I'd keep Fox and Newman but wouldn't be disappointed with a combination of others.

    My team would go something like this:

    B Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Lewis Melican
    HB Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Callum Mills
    C Zak Jones, Josh P. Kennedy, Dan Hannebery
    HF George Hewett, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
    F Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Kieren Jack
    FOL Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney

    I/C Gary Rohan, Dean Towers, Nic Newman, Robbie Fox
    Rohan's wife has not given birth yet and the complications of that event will keep him very much out of the frame. I doubt he'll play. Aliir is not ready, Longmire said so in his Tueday PC. So that leaves Hannas and Reid, who if considered fit will definitely play.

    In: Hannaberry, Reid (depending on fitness tests)

    Out: Cunningham, Florent

    Both of these boys need to get far more of the ball. Florent had 6 and Cunningham had 10. Harry had 1 until half time. for an experienced mid that is just nt good enough. florent is only young and looks like a kid out there at the moment. He is going to need some maturing in the twos. He needs to get back to the basics and Dermie reckons he has the best ruck take & run he has ever seen so we need to start seeing that at Resies level and then at AFL level. I don't know that he is an outside mid though. I'd be playing him inside mid. that is where he earned his drafting.

    I am a bit worried about where Harry's game is at the moment. I was not terribly impressed with his pre-season form and would have played Stoddart instead. His delivery has been a particular problem. But his inability to win at least 20 disposals is problematic. If he is tagging that is understandable. But when he has no tag like last week it is astounding for an experienced player to manage only 10 disposals. He battled hard and sometimes tackled well but seemed a bit off the pace on several occasions when some of the faster Eagles took him on they just passed him as though he was standing still.

    So very little intervention as far as I'm concerned. Port are fast, very fast. Hannas will help that as I don't think in his current form Harry can keep up with them. Reid will help height wise. I don't know whether anyone noticed but Hayward played more up the ground last game. He managed 21 and was pretty effective, some loose handball that he has to clean up but other than that, pretty good. the question they might ask at the selection table though is about pace in the backs. Maybe Macca is not the bloke to play Port as he was off the pace against the quicker Eagles forwards and HB line. so do they go with youth, Stoddart, or experience? I'd say they will play Macca no matter what. Against the very quick sides I think this is a mistake but that is just my opinion.

  5. #41
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    310
    I'm a fan of Jones
    But a high percentage of his kicks are smothered or he kicks into players in front of him.
    I wonder if his ball drop is an issue as it seems to take a while for him to get it on the boot

    Anyone else noticed this?

  6. #42
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Longmire stated today that Aliir isn't available for selection this week, as they don't want to take risks with his ankle.

    He said Reid would run during the first session and not participate in the main training. Sounded unlikely to me.

    I suspect Rohan's return depends on his family situation. All the best to him.

    Given the above, suspect Hannebery the only in, for one of Florent, Cunningham or Newman.

    This will be one of the 3 regular season games I get to see this year; can't wait.
    Why Newman? Stats not good enough? Cunningham's speed and kicking penetration also leaves him in for mine. Ollie is a future gun but given his Sunday performance, he's the obvious out. Also, if Rohan's ready and able, like for like Harry C may come out. Newman is best 22 for me. Enjoy the game on the weekend.

  7. #43
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Why Newman? Stats not good enough? Cunningham's speed and kicking penetration also leaves him in for mine. Ollie is a future gun but given his Sunday performance, he's the obvious out. Also, if Rohan's ready and able, like for like Harry C may come out. Newman is best 22 for me. Enjoy the game on the weekend.
    Harry got 1 disposal up to half time. He managed to do 9 times better in the second for a total of 10. For an outside mid that was atrocious. His opponents got plenty more than that. The idea of a player being out there is to contribute a whole game to the team. To do this you generally have to beat your man not get murdered by him.

  8. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

    In: Hannaberry, Reid (depending on fitness tests)

    Out: Cunningham, Florent
    Agreed with these changes. While it looks like Florent has bulked up a bit this year size-wise, he just doesn't attract enough footy. He looked good in the pre-season games I saw but even then rarely got that many touches. Cunningham is just not a best 22 player imo.

    We need Reid or another tall forward to take the pressure off of Buddy. Wouldn't be suprised if we see Buddy being double or even tripled up against this weekend by Port defenders. Another forward needs to make this work to our advantage and Reid would be the best pick.

    Also while Papley had a great game in the midfield anyone else sad to see him go from the forward line to the mids? I love his work up front and will be sad to see it go

  9. #45
    Veterans List wolftone57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lilyfield
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Newman's name coming up as a potential omission is reminiscent of the times when Hewett's name used to come up on a regular basis. I don't think enough fans understand what a significant contribution Nic has made since coming into the team last year.

    • He's a consistent 20 possession a game player.
    • He's a physical player who makes an impact on numerous contests around the ground.
    • He's quick to pick us the right opposition player on our turnovers and has a good awareness of what has to be done defensively in those situations.
    • He kills a lot of potential opposition attacks by forcing stoppages when we are in an unfavourable situation.
    • He has a quick footy brain.
    • He's an adept handballer, having a good awareness of the play around him.
    • He can be a lethal left foot kick, hitting targets with laser 50 metre passes.
    • He can kick a goal from outside 50.
    • He has a solid consistent all around game.
    • He can play numerous positions.


    We don't want to drop a 25 yo 21 gamer who's playing well. This is the time for him to make solid gains in performance. As much as I would like to see Florent and Hayward continue their development, guys like Newman and Fox need to establish themselves now. They are making a bigger contribution than the youngsters are to the team as of now. I don't know about the future, but our kids have time to develop in the NEAFL. They have long careers ahead of them.

    Hayward had a nice 19 possessions, but didn't have much impact. He was targeted by the Eagles defence as the player to run off. Hurn took him all the way to goal, kicking their last goal in the 1st quarter. LeCras ran away from him in the 4th qtr, leading to the Waterman goal. There was little fear that he was going to be able to tackle any of their defenders coming out from their defensive 50. It's not really a criticism, but just something that lightly built young players have to go through in their 1st few seasons.

    Port have an experienced side with a lot of very solidly build players. It's probably not the best game for Hayward or Florent to play this season.

    As for Hayward I don't think he was that bad at all. I have watched the game again and think he did ok. Hurn ran off him but he also got a block. He got 21 not 19. Harry got run off all day and yet you do not mention him. He laid a couple of good tackles but some of his efforts to tackle were woeful. Harry also failed to get a possession in the first, 1 in the second, 3 in the third and 6 in the last. He played on the wing as did Hayward for some of the game. But to play wing for the majority of the game and rack up only 10 is just not AFL standard. He needs to get form in the twos.

    Hannas should come in and take his place on the wing, which is where he should play in my humble opinion as we have plenty of inside mids. We don't need him inside. Hannas is as quick as Harry, on Harry's form lately far quicker, and gets the pill. I'd leave Hayward in as Heens will play more up the ground if Reid plays. Hayward was very close to taking a couple of great marks on the weekend. If his pre-season had not been interrupted he might have been a bit ahead of where he is now. I think he is still getting a feel for it. The move of Kizza forward has been really beneficial. His awareness and roving sense have made a big difference. I thought last year this was the role he had to play. Using him as aback up on-baller is very smart when players are tiring.

    I agree re Newman. I don't understand why people are so hot to turf him. He is one of our most consistent performers. All those attributes you assign to him are just spot on Ludwig. What is it people here have against Nic? Is he not attractive enough like a Rampe? Is it because he has a Gay brother? Is it because his footy is not spectacularly fashionable? Does he have BO or Foot Odour? How would you know anyway haha. These questions are rhetorical by the way. I'm just confused why anyone would want to drop a player that has straightened us up on so many occasions by kicking 50-60 metre darts to players in the open or setting up play with beautiful kicks between 5 or more opposition players with a gap of only a few metres straight onto the chest of a teammate? Why?

  10. #46
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    14,431
    Port being a quick side is a bizarre rationale for replacing Cunningham with Hanners. Hannebery is a far superior footballer to Cunningham and I wouldn't hesitate to bring him into the side if he's ready. And if it were a straight choice between the two, it would take less than a nanosecond to decide. But for sheer footspeed, Cunningham would leave Hannebery in his wake.

  11. #47
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    6,474
    It's easier to find out who Trump slept with last night than getting an accurate injury list from the Swans. They kept it well hidden, and of course it's a lot different than the 'official' one on the AFL website, but it seems to be the most complete:

    Injury List
    Aliir Aliir (ankle) test
    Jordan Dawson (quad) 1-2 weeks
    Dan Hannebery (calf) test
    Alex Johnson (groin) 1-2 weeks
    Sam Naismith (knee) season
    Toby Pink (ankle) 6-8 weeks
    Sam Reid (hamstring) test

    I don't want to seem unsympathetic, but unless Gary's wife is giving birth at game time, I don't know why he can't play this week. It's not like there's anything he can do and as sad as the news is about the child that won't survive, it's something that's been known since November, so everyone should be emotionally well prepared for what will eventuate. It's not dissimilar to what the McVeigh's had to face when their young daughter died. I would think that the Rohans would have been getting counseling and support from friends and family along the way. Hopefully everything goes well with the healthy baby and the can focus on the joy of the moment.

    I think we will see Hanners and either Reid or Rohan, but probably not both, this weekend. I would omit Florent and Hayward. Probably Cunningham would be next on my list to drop. He was disappointing against WCE for the most part. There was a nice play in the 4th quarter with quick handballs from Fox to Florent to Cunningham, and then a long perfect kick to Buddy for his 8th goal. We need to see Harry do more of that. He has to get the tackling, running and disposal all going in the same game.

    Port can find a lot of ways to score. Big guys, small guys and a lot in between. We need to put forward pressure on and keep the ball in our half of the ground. We are giving away too many inside 50s. I this regard, it would be nice to have Gary playing this week. Riley Bonner, the Rising Star nominee this week, has been all the talk with his pace and high possession game. He's a 3rd year running defender, but looks ready to make his mark this year. Their backline is relatively young, so hopefully this will give us some good scoring opportunities if the pressure is there to trouble them.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 28th March 2018 at 08:03 PM.

  12. #48
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    ...
    I don't want to seem unsympathetic, but unless Gary's wife is giving birth at game time, I don't know why he can't play this week. It's not like there's anything he can do and as sad as the news is about the child that won't survive, it's something that's been known since November, so everyone should be emotionally well prepared for what will eventuate. It's not dissimilar to what the McVeigh's had to face when their young daughter died. I would think that the Rohans would have been getting counseling and support from friends and family along the way. Hopefully everything goes well with the healthy baby and the can focus on the joy of the moment.
    ...
    I think the period leading up to the birth of twins, one of whom is destined to pass away within a few hours of birth, having been born 'without parts of its brain, scalp and skull', would be a traumatic experience. They may be feeling grief and loss already - about the child, the pending experience. I think it would be a pretty hard thing to be emotionally well prepared for.

    Gary played poorly in the pre-season games and looked down. That article linked above suggested the babies were due in May, so it is concerning for him that he needs time out for it now. I'm very happy for him to have as long as he needs.
    Twitter: @mattlwood.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO