Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port Adelaide

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Why Newman? Stats not good enough? Cunningham's speed and kicking penetration also leaves him in for mine. Ollie is a future gun but given his Sunday performance, he's the obvious out. Also, if Rohan's ready and able, like for like Harry C may come out. Newman is best 22 for me. Enjoy the game on the weekend.
    Yeah, I agree Newman is 'best 22', but a lower echelon of that and thus vulnerable to being replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Harry got 1 disposal up to half time. He managed to do 9 times better in the second for a total of 10. For an outside mid that was atrocious. His opponents got plenty more than that. The idea of a player being out there is to contribute a whole game to the team. To do this you generally have to beat your man not get murdered by him.
    Yeah, I would much rather put more games into Florent than keep giving them to Harry, who does not seem to grow as a player, nor produce in big games.

Gary Rohan is a dud and needs to spend at least 10 weeks in the two's to prove consistency. His head is not in it at the moment which makes his weak mental toughness on the field stand out. He is a liability and I am sick of hearing about his forward pressure crap, I think we just need to accept that we got it wrong picking him with such a high pick.

Ollie Florent I fear will be in the same category as Gary Rohan unless given more game time now, he also needs a role such as Nick Smith to grow into and be mentored.

I also think that Newman or Mcveigh may need to make way for Dawson when fit. I think Dawson can be a real star but needs to be given a go ASAP as much as I love Mcveigh. How good would this forward line be

Dawson Reid Jack
    Papley Buddy Hayward

Rotate Parker, Hannabry and Kennedy

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Harry got 1 disposal up to half time. He managed to do 9 times better in the second for a total of 10. For an outside mid that was atrocious. His opponents got plenty more than that. The idea of a player being out there is to contribute a whole game to the team. To do this you generally have to beat your man not get murdered by him.
    It was said in the commentary that Cunningham had a run with role on Shuey in the first half. In the second he was given more freedom hence the 10 possessions. He is a certainty to stay in.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's easier to find out who Trump slept with last night than getting an accurate injury list from the Swans...

I don't want to seem unsympathetic, but unless Gary's wife is giving birth at game time, I don't know why he can't play this week. It's not like there's anything he can do and as sad as the news is about the child that won't survive, it's something that's been known since November, so everyone should be emotionally well prepared for what will eventuate. It's not dissimilar to what the McVeigh's had to face when their young daughter died. I would think that the Rohans would have been getting counseling and support from friends and family along the way. Hopefully everything goes well with the healthy baby and the can focus on the joy of the moment.

I think we will see Hanners and either Reid or Rohan, but probably not both, this weekend. I would omit Florent and Hayward. Probably Cunningham would be next on my list to drop. He was disappointing against WCE for the most part. There was a nice play in the 4th quarter with quick handballs from Fox to Florent to Cunningham, and then a long perfect kick to Buddy for his 8th goal. We need to see Harry do more of that. He has to get the tackling, running and disposal all going in the same game.
    I'm agreeing with you again Ludwig. I think they'll pick Gaz if Reid doesn't get up. Being away from his wife playing at the SCG is not the same as flying to Perth, but I imagine Gaz'll want to be there for the birth as it's going to be traumatic. So worse case Reid doesn't get up, they pick Gaz and his twins are born on/before Sunday. Who knows how much time he / she'll will need to deal with that?

Think Hanners is a definite in this week.

Outs I think you could make a case for Hayward, Florent, McVeigh and Cunningham.

Hayward: In theory Reid / Rohan should replace him as he was a late in last week. But being Horse's favourite I can see him staying in.
    Florent: Potential is there, but he's not doing enough yet, and against Port I don't think we can carry him.
    McVeigh: I thought looked old and slow against WCE but the Swans website today said: "Jarrad McVeigh looked as good as ever against the Eagles in Round 1." Maybe they go over the replay on fast-forward.
    Cunningham: Could we the 2018 edition of Dean Towers.

I think the two outs will be Florent and Hayward.

I still think that the emerging style of play and the change in rules and give and go footy in 2018 starts to dictate a lot of the selections in the 18-25 range of the squad

It will sneak up on us this year.....the backline transitions are bloody quick so far.......this changes who is in the backline rotation and what their capabilities are.

Yes certain players will function better on the small SCG where leg speed doesn�t have the same impact as on the mcg or other big grounds

The scg demands great sideways vision and kicking on a dime due to its width vs length......and our default contested style works on this smaller field

But If we keep making our arguments about Fox, Newman, Cunningham ie handy middle aged players vs emerging players like Florent, Hayward, Ling, Stoddart, AA etc there is a danger in blindsiding ourselves to not seeing the players that best suit our emerging style of play which is now more flexible

The run with / tagging wingers never get much love for their shut down roles nor do their paper stats often reflect their capacity to shut down opposition players

But u put a slower player on the wing on a big field against against an Isaac Smith and we will be screaming for a fast run with player any day of the week !

We have to have flexibility in our selection and footy so we can win on the scg and mcg

That�s true in cricket just as it in afl

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    A totally immature and inappropriate post

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's easier to find out who Trump slept with last night than getting an accurate injury list from the Swans. They kept it well hidden, and of course it's a lot different than the 'official' one on the AFL website, but it seems to be the most complete:

Injury List
    Aliir Aliir (ankle) test
    Jordan Dawson (quad) 1-2 weeks
    Dan Hannebery (calf) test
    Alex Johnson (groin) 1-2 weeks
    Sam Naismith (knee) season
    Toby Pink (ankle) 6-8 weeks
    Sam Reid (hamstring) test

I don't want to seem unsympathetic, but unless Gary's wife is giving birth at game time, I don't know why he can't play this week. It's not like there's anything he can do and as sad as the news is about the child that won't survive, it's something that's been known since November, so everyone should be emotionally well prepared for what will eventuate. It's not dissimilar to what the McVeigh's had to face when their young daughter died. I would think that the Rohans would have been getting counseling and support from friends and family along the way. Hopefully everything goes well with the healthy baby and the can focus on the joy of the moment.

I think we will see Hanners and either Reid or Rohan, but probably not both, this weekend. I would omit Florent and Hayward. Probably Cunningham would be next on my list to drop. He was disappointing against WCE for the most part. There was a nice play in the 4th quarter with quick handballs from Fox to Florent to Cunningham, and then a long perfect kick to Buddy for his 8th goal. We need to see Harry do more of that. He has to get the tackling, running and disposal all going in the same game.

Port can find a lot of ways to score. Big guys, small guys and a lot in between. We need to put forward pressure on and keep the ball in our half of the ground. We are giving away too many inside 50s. I this regard, it would be nice to have Gary playing this week. Riley Bonner, the Rising Star nominee this week, has been all the talk with his pace and high possession game. He's a 3rd year running defender, but looks ready to make his mark this year. Their backline is relatively young, so hopefully this will give us some good scoring opportunities if the pressure is there to trouble them.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I think the period leading up to the birth of twins, one of whom is destined to pass away within a few hours of birth, having been born 'without parts of its brain, scalp and skull', would be a traumatic experience. They may be feeling grief and loss already - about the child, the pending experience. I think it would be a pretty hard thing to be emotionally well prepared for.

Gary played poorly in the pre-season games and looked down. That article linked above suggested the babies were due in May, so it is concerning for him that he needs time out for it now. I'm very happy for him to have as long as he needs.
    Well said Matt. None of us can possibly know what this is like unless we've been there. I hope Macca is giving him heaps of support (and I'm sure he is). It's not just knowing about what's coming, it's about being there for his wife and family. Some things are far bigger than football.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I think posts on here, delving into Gary Rohan and his wife's awful situation, pontificating about how they deal with it in terms of Gary playing footy, are ill informed and inappropriate.

As for ins and outs...For me:

IN : Hannebery

OUT : Florent

NB : Given it's their 2nd game back, you'd expect better performances from Grundy and McVeigh
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I think posts on here, delving into Gary Rohan and his wife's awful situation, pontificating about how they deal with it in terms of Gary playing footy, are ill informed and inappropriate.
    I kind about ill-informed. Everyone reacts to a situation like this in a different way. Some players find that training and playing is a relief valve and welcome the opportunity to "lose themselves in footy" for a few hours. Others feel the need to get away from the pressures of performing at AFL level. There is no right or wrong way to handle it. I have no idea how Gary is handling the situation or how he feels about playing, and I'm not sure that anyone on this forum has a better idea than I do. Speculating

Having said that, I don't think it's inappropriate to speculate on who might be selected in the event that Gary is willing and keen to play.

Veterans List
    Given the circumstances how about we keep Rohan out of discussions and speculation. Gary will be available when his personal circumstances permit and will play seniors when the selectors believe he is the correct player at the correct time.

Plenty of other players to debate without having Gary in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Given the circumstances how about we keep Rohan out of discussions and speculation. Gary will be available when his personal circumstances permit and will play seniors when the selectors believe he is the correct player at the correct time.

Plenty of other players to debate without having Gary in the discussion.
    Couldn't agree more. Our premiership chances do not rest on him, so he comes back when he's right.
    Depending on who you talk to he's somewhere in the 15th to 25th ranked players at the swans.

Speaking of older fringe players, I'm more interested in whether AJ can get back in the side

Warming the Bench
    My team for SUnday

Smith Grundy Newman
    Rampe Melican Mills

Lloyd Kennedy Jones
    Sinclair Parker Hewett

Heeney Franklin Towers
    Papley Reid Jack

I/C Hannebery, Fox, Hayward, Cunningham

I think Hayward is ahead of Florent and I can't find a spot for McVeigh. Nick Smith and Dane Rampe seem to be the organisers in the back line now.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast