Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My Sydney to Sydney Journey has Finally Begun!! (Plus - some tickets available)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCaper View Post
    Oh I was there!! Sitting on the wing in the O'Reilly Stand..

Absolutely loved being at the SCG! I knew about the unique traditions (for this North American anyway) of AFL/ Australian Rules Football (going through the banner, the club songs etc.) but I just love them even more experiencing them in person.

I have been to a few Canadian and American stadiums and arenas in my days but I did like the SCG. The different stands are different than what we see in the Western Hemisphere and it makes for a bit of a maze like situation getting anywhere but the vibe is very cool! With all the Swans banners on the walls, it adds to the atmosphere of the place as well. As with most of our time here, the people at the matches have been nice and courteous (except maybe to umpires haha) and generally we have been so impressed with the people here. The views from both the Brewongle and O'Reilly stands were great.

I am still surprised by how little attention the NEAFL game gets. I think the doors did not even open until after the game started (at the time we were waiting for the Clearance trailer to get their credit machine working so we didn't go in as the doors opened as planned). We did like the activities outside though and pre-game has a very fun vibe. Transportation to and from the stadium using public transport was flawless.

Also notable for me was how accessible players are - last week I saw Sam Reid walk by me, Allir Allir standing around after the game, Zac Jones in the Brewongle VIP area (where the toilets are located). This week saw Michael O'Laughlin after the game and saw Buddy Franklin walk to the stadium before the game. Grand total number of pictures of this - zero LOL. I have to be content with the picture with the Buddy Franklin cardboard cutout LOL

Kick to kick last week was an interesting experience as well. Kids and grown men kicking balls in every direction. It would never be allowed in North America because it would be considered dangerous. I was glad though go to get a picture of me on the bench and going through the interchange gates!

Some of you won't like this but my wife and I enjoyed singing along to Sweet Caroline. Generally found the game presentation less in your face than most North American sports games. Enjoyed singing the Swans club song after the GWS game much more however!!!

Got a bit emotional leaving the SCG last night knowing that it will be the last time that I will be there for a long time but all being well it will not be the last time.
    Awesome you got to see a win last night mate - it was a great night at the footy I thought, good tough contest and our boys got the job done! Lets hope for another win for you next week in Melbourne at Etihad
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Got a bit emotional leaving the SCG last night knowing that it will be the last time that I will be there for a long time but all being well it will not be the last time.
    I understand this emotion completely. Albeit from the Central Coast, we really can take our gameday experience for granted and how close we are to it. At the beginning of last year, I went to the Nou Camp (even though I hate Barcelona and wore my 2012 Champions League Ramires 7 shirt, if anyone follows the game) but to see a Messi goal in the flesh was something else and I will forever remember walking away from the stadium and looking back up at the top of the stand, and the lights, and became overwhelmed with emotion. I'm getting teary-eyed writing this. Savouring the privilege to experience something like you have, Davey, across the other side of the world is well worth the outpouring of emotion.

For whatever it is worth, I was rather undewhelmed by the atmosphere at the Nou Camp, I was sitting there thinking I had been to about thirty Swans games (not to mention Anzac Day clashes as a neutral) that had a better atmosphere. Granted, Uefalona were playing Las Palmas (who were sitting sixth at the time), but there were five goals to celebrate; I'd imagine if it were an El Clasico, or the like, the atmosphere would've ramped up. It just reinforced how good we really have it as Swans/AFL fans.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Ha. I've just read the other thread regarding the current matchday experience. I should add a proviso, I haven't been able to afford to go so far this season; I used to have a full membership, but now have a Red 3. The above post was to do with our atmosphere and fan engagement during the game. I agree with the sentiments elsewhere that the attempts by there powers-that-be to fill every spare second of quiet with a blast from the PA during the breaks and pre-match really is a detractor to the overall expereince.
    C'mon Chels!

As with most of our time here, the people at the matches have been nice and courteous (except maybe to umpires haha) and generally we have been so impressed with the people here.
    Shame you never got to stand in the outer at Victoria Park 30 years ago. You'd be even more impressed with SCG patrons than you thought possible.

Kick to kick last week was an interesting experience as well. Kids and grown men kicking balls in every direction. It would never be allowed in North America because it would be considered dangerous. I was glad though go to get a picture of me on the bench and going through the interchange gates!
    Damn, hope nobody outside RWO reads this. All it takes is one person to feel threatened by a football in kick to kick and it will be banned here as well...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Oh - and so you guys know. I am in Australia for three weeks and will be attending the GWS game and the game vs. the Bulldogs at Eithad Stadium so plenty of opportunities to say hello
    An exciting win for the Swans at Etihad, Davey. Hope your made it there!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    An exciting win for the Swans at Etihad, Davey. Hope your made it there!
    I was there - great seats in centre wing!! So very exciting! A real nail biter!

Blog Entries
    I was there - great seats in centre wing!! So very exciting! A real nail biter!
    Glad you enjoyed the game and had good seats.

Did you enjoy the spectacular weather Melbourne put on for you???
    How was the game at the MCG?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345