Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: RWO #AFL Round 2 weekend discussion thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    I've never watched a Geelong game and finished and said, wow, Selwood made a massive difference to the game, what a great influence he is on the team and AFL in general.
    I have to disagree with this. I watch a lot of Geelong games as my brother barracks for them and Selwood has helped them win games they would otherwise have lost without him. I think in recent years Dangerfield has taken over.

But I do agree with you that I dislike the lifting the arm action that he does. I was very frustrated last year when we played them in Geelong with the number of high contact frees he received. Ironically he injured his ankle during one of those tackles. Personally if you've got time to shrug or lift your arm then you've got time to dispose of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I watch a lot of Geelong games as my brother barracks for them and Selwood has helped them win games they would otherwise have lost without him. I think in recent years Dangerfield has taken over.

But I do agree with you that I dislike the lifting the arm action that he does. I was very frustrated last year when we played them in Geelong with the number of high contact frees he received. Ironically he injured his ankle during one of those tackles. Personally if you've got time to shrug or lift your arm then you've got time to dispose of the ball.
    He's a cheap cheat. A blight on the game. How can anyone respect a player who always looks for free kicks by ducking his shoulder?
    That will be the Selwood legacy.
    The highest free kick count in history!
    Totally unnecessary because he is a bloody good player.
    Why does he have to be a turd ?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Oh, puhlease, the old jealous line.. I hate duckers and divers. Simple. I've never once understood the love in for Selwood at all. I've seen Hannebery do more corageous things in the heat of battle, yet the Darcys, BTs, Bruces all froth on the ducker, so everyone else tows the line. I've never watched a Geelong game and finished and said, wow, Selwood made a massive difference to the game, what a great influence he is on the team and AFL in general.

I hate players who dictate to officials and look to the umpire (or ref in other sports I watch) at every contest they go for. Selwood not only expects a free, but expects a 50, too. Only have to see him pointing down the field on the weekend expecting a 50 when he took a contested mark that was fairly contended on the siren.

He is a pathetic blight to the game where the AFL have started to implement (FINALLY, they have actually started to try and stop, counter to what you say) regulations where he won't be awarded for dropping the knees. What other player has required rules to be re-interpreted due to playing outside these rules?

As I said previously, Sicily gets whacked for his playing outside the rules, but Selwood gets rewarded for it. Lets re-visit this topic after Round 6, shall we, and see how you feel? I know how I'll be feeling.

On CTE, I really do wonder how Paul Bevan is fairing now.
    We'll just move on then........

From the Hun:

Category: | Herald Sun

�COLLINGWOOD captain Scott Pendlebury has defended Joel Selwood�s controversial shrugging tactics, saying tacklers must aim around the superstar Cat�s hips.

Selwood has come again under fire for the shrugging technique which drew the ire of Hawthorn opponents in Easter Monday�s thriller.

Selwood has drawn more high free kicks than other player in the league since 2014 with 278, ahead of superstar teammate Patrick Dangerfield on 181.

Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin (175), West Coast�s Luke Shuey (171) and Adelaide ball magnet Rory Sloane (152) round out the top-five according to Champion Data.

Pendlebury said Selwood was playing fairly and ethically, and that the arm-lifting manoeuvre did not affect his standing in the football community.

Pendlebury was adamant the onus was on the tacklers to go in low and hard.

Veterans List
    I very much dislike Selwood, not only for the arm lifting to draw high tackles but his constant asking the umpires for frees and 50m penalties.

I thought last season they'd sorted out the tackle going high due to the players own actions like shrugging, knee buckling etc but paying high tackles with these actions contributing has crept back in.

Time for the AFL to tighten up again on players trying to draw free kicks and staging.

Veterans List
    Just saw vision of Carlton's training this week, no surprise they were in orange training guernseys given that a 1/4 of their squad is ex GWS :-)

Veterans List
    I'm all for the league cracking down on Selwood's tactics as I don't like them but it doesn't effect my opinion of him as a great player. I think Pendlebury summed it up nicely......

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567