Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 2, Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, 01/04/18, SCG @sydneyswans

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I just read that our kicking efficiency was 51%. Enough said.
    It�s the Port ADELAIDE early season curse!
    Witness- Swans have played Port 5 times since 1999 to open their SCG part of their season. The result? Five games, four losses, 1999, 2006, 2017, 2018. Just one win in 2008.
    Also, for the past 20 seasons, the Swans record in opening season SCG games is 12 wins and 8 losses. One lost each against Brisbane (2002), ADELAIDE (2003), Geelong (2011), North Melbourne (2014). And four (!) losses against Port, (1999, 2006, 2017, 2018)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    Can�t stand the ideas of reading all the comments but for mine:

* anyone who blames the umps for tonights this result needs their head read
    * they were very good and were a bit off pretty much across the board with a few exceptions
    * has Mills played a worse game for us? I doubt it?
    * no need for over reaction here and we have a perfect chance to redeem ourselves next week and from what I�ve seen GWS are ripe for the picking

We lost to a team by 23 points that I think are the real deal this year. It�s disappinting but not the end of the world. I�m happy to take Liz�s advice and call it one of those nights
    I agree with this pretty much.
    The umps were strange but they weren't the cause of the loss. But I'd like to know what it means when the ump stands in the goal square and spreads both arms.
    Port won because for the most part they played better. Their marking and kicking was superior to ours.
    Agree about Mills.
    I'd add that when we had the ball they manned up very tightly, something we don't do nearly as often, and our blokes couldn't handle it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Poor incipit loss atrocious after half time. I have been saying for along time our backline is weak against pressure. Why fox and not newman ? We cant let Buddy do it all himself why no biog man in when reid not available,
    Very disappointing tonight and we disappear when it becomes wet and slippery.
    I thought Fox pretty good. At least he didn't fumble like Reg & Rampe and give goals away. He played a pretty good game. The other fumblers today; Smithy & Mills. what was the problem with these guys. every time they got near the ball they muffed it. Especially Mills who took the wrong option again and again and again. There is a saying in Footy; If the give is there give it off! Millsie effing give the bloody ball off.

In saying that Longmire's coaching was @@@@e. In the first half when we had all the momentum all we did was bomb it to Bud. How bloody frustrating. On so many occasions we had players free but went to Bud. We could have had 10-15 by half time but the game plan was kick it to Bud. You f'wit Horse. They wanted that and they just wore our blokes down to the stage we were so tired by half time that we had little to give in the second half.

Talking of that. Our blokes are NOT fit. Last week proved that when we started cramping. cramp is caused by not being fit enough and hydrated enough on the day.

Why is it that Longmire insists on having John Blakey next to him in the coaching box. Blakey, while head of coaching, is not a part of the coaching panel. I believe this relationship Horse has with JB is not helping. He needs to be surrounded by people who can give up to date advice not a bloke from the past. Blakey is not a part of the coaching panel so he should not be there. I think Horse listens to Blakey more than anybody else and that is a problem because the game has moved on an the new coaches are more in tune with the new game than Blakey.

I don't believe horse can deliver a premiership. In fact I have never believed he could deliver anotherf premiership. I thought in 2012 he got lucky. all the stars aligned and that was that. In fact I would say that it was a year early as far as the Sydney coaching staff were concerned. But it happened. Jetta opened us up and allowed us to play very smart footy. We had a few veterans who had belief, transferred that belief to the younger blokes and it happened. Slingshot footy won us one premiership but I think Horse has been living on it ever since. We have had some of the best lists available and yet not cracked a premiership since 2012. Why? In 2013 we were cruelled by injury. In 2014 we were the best team in the H & A season. But what happened in the GF? We got flogged because Horse could not counter anything Clarkson did. In fact the coaching was so inept he even admitted having no solution. That was when the alarm bells went off for me. Then 2015 was a bit like 2013 but we had our chances. Then 2016 the umpires GF, Certainly the umpires went out of their way to wwin Bullies the GF. But we faded just like we were always going to do. If we did not get big goals in the first half, stopped every time we went forward by the umpires, then we were cactus. But our coaching did not help. When they got the momentum in the third our coaches seemed nonplussed. Our players went into their shells and that was that. Our players are Gf losers not winners. The Hawks are winners. Our players are losers. they alloow themselves to lose because deep down they believe they do not deserve the premiership. We need a forensic psychologist to dissect, trisect and pull our players apart and put them back together. not a Sports Psychologist. They are crap. Forensic psychologists work with bent minds like psychopaths so they can identify the forensic cause of any event. Therefore identify the forensic cause of a player underachieving.

We will do ok this year. We might make finals. We will not win the premiership. We won't win a premiership until Horse steps down

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just reviewing the replay and one play early in the 2nd quarter typified the game for me. After Hayward's goal we were up 22-8. On the restart, Heeney was pulled down without the ball, no call, Port gets possession. The kick goes to Boak. Mills gets called for a very soft push in the back. Boak kicks the ball OOBTF, but Rampe sticks up his hand so it's touched for a throw in instead of a free kick for us. On the subsequent throw in Ollie Wines is unmarked and kicks a goal. Stuff like that happened all game.
    Yes, but having just examined it on replay, I think the most comically inept bit of umpiring, was the fifty against Florent. Essentially, Florent was running in to stand the mark, as he was the nearest Swan. Polec sees him coming, and I assume because he didn't think the ball travelled fifteen metres, he takes off. Umpire then pays fifty against Florent.
    Unless I've missed a rule change, about not being able to come in from behind to stand the mark, it was a genuinely bizarre decision. And unfortunately, a momentum snuffing decision.

I try to be a more unbiased observer in my later years and Port were very impressive and after half time especially played with controlled aggression and skill, taking the game on and pulled off many snap goals .

The trip west and the huge effort to knock off the Eagles on the much anticipated opening of their new stadium on a warm evening seemed to have sapped the energy of the Swans and affected their skill and clean ball handling .

West Coast were still fresh enough to go to Melbourne and bury the Bulldogs.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

Talking of that. Our blokes are NOT fit. Last week proved that when we started cramping. cramp is caused by not being fit enough and hydrated enough on the day.
    We weren't the only club cramping last week. I saw players cramping in every game I watched. It normally happens in round 1.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

.....And McVeigh shouldn't do interviews anymore, especially ones like this: Swans want teams to fear playing at SCG - sydneyswans.com.au
    Whenever he opens his mouth about this sort of stuff, it backfires.
    +1

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    Could the end be coming rather fast for Reg?
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that said over the last few years.........

I can be a bit grumpy when we lose, but I was getting very shirty about the score board, which listed the goals and behinds for each quarter separately rather than cumulatively. Why oh why? You can see who won each quarter earlier in the game more easily, but I always look at the current quarter (kind of more important) to check how many goals at that point, how the momentum is going....

Annoying!

Port are a star studded side. From the finals team of last year they have added rockcliff, watts and motlop.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I thought Fox pretty good. At least he didn't fumble like Reg & Rampe and give goals away. He played a pretty good game. The other fumblers today; Smithy & Mills. what was the problem with these guys. every time they got near the ball they muffed it. Especially Mills who took the wrong option again and again and again. There is a saying in Footy; If the give is there give it off! Millsie effing give the bloody ball off.

In saying that Longmire's coaching was @@@@e. In the first half when we had all the momentum all we did was bomb it to Bud. How bloody frustrating. On so many occasions we had players free but went to Bud. We could have had 10-15 by half time but the game plan was kick it to Bud. You f'wit Horse. They wanted that and they just wore our blokes down to the stage we were so tired by half time that we had little to give in the second half.

Why is it that Longmire insists on having John Blakey next to him in the coaching box. Blakey, while head of coaching, is not a part of the coaching panel. I believe this relationship Horse has with JB is not helping. He needs to be surrounded by people who can give up to date advice not a bloke from the past. Blakey is not a part of the coaching panel so he should not be there. I think Horse listens to Blakey more than anybody else and that is a problem because the game has moved on an the new coaches are more in tune with the new game than Blakey.

I don't believe horse can deliver a premiership. In fact I have never believed he could deliver anotherf premiership. I thought in 2012 he got lucky. all the stars aligned and that was that. In fact I would say that it was a year early as far as the Sydney coaching staff were concerned. But it happened. Jetta opened us up and allowed us to play very smart footy. We had a few veterans who had belief, transferred that belief to the younger blokes and it happened. Slingshot footy won us one premiership but I think Horse has been living on it ever since. We have had some of the best lists available and yet not cracked a premiership since 2012. Why? In 2013 we were cruelled by injury. In 2014 we were the best team in the H & A season. But what happened in the GF? We got flogged because Horse could not counter anything Clarkson did. In fact the coaching was so inept he even admitted having no solution. That was when the alarm bells went off for me. Then 2015 was a bit like 2013 but we had our chances. Then 2016 the umpires GF, Certainly the umpires went out of their way to wwin Bullies the GF. But we faded just like we were always going to do. If we did not get big goals in the first half, stopped every time we went forward by the umpires, then we were cactus. But our coaching did not help. When they got the momentum in the third our coaches seemed nonplussed. Our players went into their shells and that was that. Our players are Gf losers not winners. The Hawks are winners. Our players are losers. they alloow themselves to lose because deep down they believe they do not deserve the premiership. We need a forensic psychologist to dissect, trisect and pull our players apart and put them back together. not a Sports Psychologist. They are crap. Forensic psychologists work with bent minds like psychopaths so they can identify the forensic cause of any event. Therefore identify the forensic cause of a player underachieving.

We will do ok this year. We might make finals. We will not win the premiership. We won't win a premiership until Horse steps down
    Gee I thought I was a sore loser

Regular in the Side
    I forgot to mention reg in my last post, we seem to be slow in backline and he seems the slowest .Also were was rampe this week not cleaning up as usual.