Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 2, Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide, 01/04/18, SCG @sydneyswans

So I was at the game till half time when I had to take tired kids home. I remember thinking "well at least we seem to be getting some frees". We were about 5 frees ahead at half time I think.

Then we finish the game 3 frees behind! Did we even get one in the 2nd half? Did the umps deliberately get a bit of a buffer in the first half so they could use some against us in the second?

Feeling a little conspiracy theory-ey and it's only game 2.

Our second half was absolutely putrid bar the first 10 minutes of the last quarter till it got too close for the maggots liking. Then we reverted to type.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Umpiring was certainly crap. We could not get a holding the ball but they did when they needed them. Saw about 4-5 blatant throws that three umpires did not notice. Still, that did not decide the game - are the Swans fit??
    Early in the last quarter it was 16 frees each. Certainly in the last 10 minutes they were inconsistent. That 50 against Florent was rubbish as that was happening all game. I commented that they have dropped that rule because of a little criticism after round 1. But when the conditions became greasy we failed to adapt.

When a 32 year old half back flanker is arguably your best player on the night you've got problems. We still have too many that show a bit but don't do anywhere near enough.

Regular in the Side
    Bringing in Fox for Jones instead of Newman has me wondering if there is a disciplinary issue with Newman.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes we received the rough end of the stick from the umpires but it�s a factor that is beyond our control. We need to concentrate on the factors that are controllable that let them have easy goals. The ones that come to mine are Marshall outbodying Grundy on the behind line then somehow miskicking it with no Swan touching it and the Rampe fumble on the goal line letting Wingard goal

Having said all that, Port were impressive and will be one of the favourites for the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Nick Smith's complete lack of skill has killed us today! The umpiring has been bad but we simply have not handled the pressure and the players need to have a real hard look at themselves to dish up that rubbish at home!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    One week ago Nick Smith was being praised as the player of old.

Fickle

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    When a 32 year old half back flanker is arguably your best player on the night you've got problems. We still have too many that show a bit but don't do anywhere near enough.
    Will Hayward had a go early but I think the going got a bit tough for him. When the going gets tough he needs to stand up rather than make insipid flys for a mark. Florent was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Let down by the same old players, but you cant expect miracles. Maybe we, as a list, just aren't that good. (Those words could come back to haunt me).
    They will

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Yes we received the rough end of the stick from the umpires but it�s a factor that is beyond our control. We need to concentrate on the factors that are controllable that let them have easy goals. The ones that come to mine are Marshall outbodying Grundy on the behind line then somehow miskicking it with no Swan touching it and the Rampe fumble on the goal line letting Wingard goal

Having said all that, Port were impressive and will be one of the favourites for the flag.
    Add the one where we had noone on the line as well to that list. Poor errors from players that should know better.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    where has our stingy back line gone ????

Veterans List
    Can't remember a game where we fumbled so much. Even players like McVeigh were fumbling and he normally has clean hands.

The 50 was paid because Florent ran up to the Port player thinking that the mark wasn't paid because the kick wasn't 15 metres. It didn't look 15 to me but you have to play to the umpires whistle.

I agree that the umpiring was poor but we just didn't play well enough. Port were cleaner and we didn't make the most of our opportunities in the first half.

Hanners looked to have injured his knee at the end of the game so I hope it isn't too bad.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast