Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Especially after seeing the Hawthorn Geelong game I am more convinced than ever that we cannot play with the ball sitting in our defensive 50. We have to be able to get the ball out of there quickly. We need more players ready to break lines. Melican, Reg, Macca and Smith are not going to do it. Even though he's probably our best defender, Reg seems that he has to be the one to go. Macca can move to the midfield or just come off the bench and play where needed.

I think we have to stay with Florent and play Hayward a fair number of games as well. Harry C probably gets the nod over a group of players fighting for the final couple of spots, but he has to keep winning the ball, running hard and tackling. If he keeps doing that he should hold his spot.

Clarkson is not afraid to change things up if something is not working. He had Sicily and O'Brien playing as forwards not long ago. He had Gunston playing back last year. Now Gunston has returned at forward, and the other 2 are looking comfortable playing back.

We need more run from defence and have to make changes to get that done.

We have a deep enough list to flip a few names from week to week to cover injuries and get the best matchups. I'm not too concerned if it's Fox or Newman or Macca. Whatever fits best for that game. The Giants went in very tall last game. They probably will drop Corr and might even drop Patton considering how he played. In any case, they will be pretty tall regrardless of the changes we make.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Especially after seeing the Hawthorn Geelong game I am more convinced than ever that we cannot play with the ball sitting in our defensive 50. We have to be able to get the ball out of there quickly. We need more players ready to break lines. Melican, Reg, Macca and Smith are not going to do it. Even though he's probably our best defender, Reg seems that he has to be the one to go. Macca can move to the midfield or just come off the bench and play where needed.

I think we have to stay with Florent and play Hayward a fair number of games as well. Harry C probably gets the nod over a group of players fighting for the final couple of spots, but he has to keep winning the ball, running hard and tackling. If he keeps doing that he should hold his spot.

Clarkson is not afraid to change things up if something is not working. He had Sicily and O'Brien playing as forwards not long ago. He had Gunston playing back last year. Now Gunston has returned at forward, and the other 2 are looking comfortable playing back.

We need more run from defence and have to make changes to get that done.

We have a deep enough list to flip a few names from week to week to cover injuries and get the best matchups. I'm not too concerned if it's Fox or Newman or Macca. Whatever fits best for that game. The Giants went in very tall last game. They probably will drop Corr and might even drop Patton considering how he played. In any case, they will be pretty tall regrardless of the changes we make.
    So we remove our only true tall defender and take on the Giants?
    If we diagnose the real issues from last night, it was skill execution. We fix that, we beat Port last night.

Pretty much anything else is jumping at shadows.

Agree Port are a quality side who will go deep into September and that we could have easily won. I think not having Sam Reid in the side leaves us to one dimensional.

Also is everyone forgetting that Papley has not as damaging up forward these first two games.

INs Newman
    Reid
    Jones

Out Rohan (please please please John)
    Hayward
    Towers (list clogger)

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    So we remove our only true tall defender and take on the Giants?
    If we diagnose the real issues from last night, it was skill execution. We fix that, we beat Port last night.

Pretty much anything else is jumping at shadows.
    This has been going on for a long time. We have been lauded for our ability to absorb the pressure of the ball being in our defensive 50 so often, but now we are getting hurt by repeat entries because we can't clear the zone. It's not just something that happened this week. We won the centre clearance 19 to 13 v WCE and yet gave up 60 inside 50s. And that's against a team without a strong midfield. We gave up a load of inside 50s after halftime v PA.

It's not just about our defense, but if the ball is living in our defensive end, we're not scoring. We are not a slow team, but we are seriously slow in defence and it shows. It's something that needs to be remedied.

I'm not suggesting that we drop Reg before Aliir is ready to come into the side, especially against a tall Giant's forward line. It's just something that has to be looked at. Maybe there are other solutions, but I don't think the current situation is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Agree Port are a quality side who will go deep into September and that we could have easily won. I think not having Sam Reid in the side leaves us to one dimensional.

Also is everyone forgetting that Papley has not as damaging up forward these first two games.

INs Newman
    Reid
    Jones

Out Rohan (please please please John)
    Hayward
    Towers (list clogger)
    Yeah, nah, I don�t think many of the powers that be agree with your opinion of Towers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This has been going on for a long time. We have been lauded for our ability to absorb the pressure of the ball being in our defensive 50 so often, but now we are getting hurt by repeat entries because we can't clear the zone. It's not just something that happened this week. We won the centre clearance 19 to 13 v WCE and yet gave up 60 inside 50s. And that's against a team without a strong midfield. We gave up a load of inside 50s after halftime v PA.

It's not just about our defense, but if the ball is living in our defensive end, we're not scoring. We are not a slow team, but we are seriously slow in defence and it shows. It's something that needs to be remedied.

I'm not suggesting that we drop Reg before Aliir is ready to come into the side, especially against a tall Giant's forward line. It's just something that has to be looked at. Maybe there are other solutions, but I don't think the current situation is working.
    Port gave up a load of repeat inside 50s that we should have capitalised on and put a space between them and us. If the forward line hadn't fumbled and dropped marks, it is a totally different game. Forward line the big problem yesterday.

Alir needs to play, another tall down there means Ramps and Reg can be creative.
    Ramps always gets a bath from J Cameron cos he is too small.

If we can get Ramps running off the back flank more then our fwd line will function better
    Reid in will help heaps, Buddy up the ground turned a few times on the weekend and didn't have a lot to go to, even though he was able to find a few with his exceptional field kicking
    Id give Rohan another chance as a fwd, he is better when he is the 3rd tall

Towers needs to lift in what is probably the hardest role in the team being an undersized ruck, no point dropping him, we need him in there this year

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post

He's been playing mostly midfield

I love to look at future players vs current selections as much as anyone but I don�t this it was personnel that let us down Sunday night

A
    Serious team and contenderwas Port
    Deep deep list and well recruited
    Serious coaching
    Serious strategy
    Serious execution

Most in the inner sanctum at the swans feel when we get our contested footy right it is unstoppable

I agree in part

Ie contested footy when it�s on is hard to beat ......as long as u convert goals and as long as the other team doesn�t do it better then u

Port did

We still need a plan B

We still need to be flexible against port or against gws re our transitions when under a he pump

The gws game will I think speak volumes Re where we are at strategically and execution

Have we evolved truly ?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Now is not the time for mass changes or throwing in a bunch of players without experience. Id find a place for Newman, Reid and Jones if they are good to go.

Out: schoolboy errors, sloppiness and inability to take our chances (outside of buddy).

In: The swans football we love and enjoy, composure and better decision making.
    This. Too many dropped marks (and missed targets). If we held onto those marks we have a chance to regain some control of the game and stop Port getting easy (easier) goals.
    Also IN: Hayward and Papley back to the forward line and
    OUT: of the midfield.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I'm really worried about the ruck situation. I have taken the point about the merits of playing only one, of conceding the taps etc, and on the stats Sinclair looked competitive in the HO stat on Sunday night. But he was cactus in the second half and offered nothing around the ground, particularly when our game shifted�for whatever reason (fatigue, dewy ball)�to long balls to contests along the line to clear the D50. it was like watching the 2016 GF, where Boyd just kept picking us off and the result was the same: repeats I50s, pressure on an increasingly unsettled defensive set up.

I've also long been a Rohan fanboy, but he's not in it at the moment, for whatever reason. Needs a break from it.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    He's been playing mostly midfield
    I know Papley has been doing more than ok in midfield (one could argue he has been one of the more impressive players in there in the first two games), but we need him desperately back in the forward line for more of the game, starting this week against the Giants.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast