Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

To me the team while our team is very talented it has two major weaknesses this year. 1. An over-reliance on Buddy (I saw a stat suggesting that they went to him 45% on the weekend) 2. A ruck division well below many others. I think that 1. can be overcome with the addition of Reid. 2. Is much harder to address. Neither Sinclair or Cameron look likely to evolve into a topline ruckman so I�m not hopeful on that one. Our best bet is to shark tap outs as best we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    Papley to stay in the F50 with Buddy
    Especially with Bud in hot form
    Constantly bringing the ball to ground

Also agree with some posters
    Lets not jump at shadows. Yes we have some issues but we should be 2-0
    Hopefully with the loss they are highlighted and we can work on them

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    To me the team while our team is very talented it has two major weaknesses this year. 1. An over-reliance on Buddy (I saw a stat suggesting that they went to him 45% on the weekend)

2. A ruck division well below many others.

I think that 1. can be overcome with the addition of Reid.
    2. Is much harder to address. Neither Sinclair or Cameron look likely to evolve into a topline ruckman so I�m not hopeful on that one. Our best bet is to shark tap outs as best we can.
    I agree on both points.

I think it's more than just having Reid in the lineup that solves the Buddy focus, although it will help. Moving the ball faster, especially in transition, forces the opposition to lose structure and we are more likely to find unattended players running toward goal. Easier said than done, because it obviously requires speed, clean ball handling and disposal skills. But that's what any premiership team is going to need.

We are unlikely to resolve the ruck situation anytime soon. There's no reason to think that even next year, that we are going to have a top 10 ruckman, so sharking the hitouts and defensive stoppage setups looks to be some remedy. It's hard for the Swans, who were stoppage kings for many years, to suddenly have to change. We need to play to our strengths and dominance at stoppages is no longer one of them.

Why not try Reid as full back and Reg up as a deep forward. I think we looked slow out of defence on the weekend .

It's too late in his career for Reg to reinvent himself as a forward. Its CHB or bench.

Good to see the injury dwindling down to a nice level:

Jordan Dawson Quad 1 week
    Dan Hannebery Knee Test
    Alex Johnson Groin 1 week
    Zak Jones Calf Test
    Sam Naismith Knee Season
    Toby Pink Ankle 5-7 weeks
    Sam Reid Hamstring Test
    Kurt Tippett Retired

AJ and Dawson only a week away from resuming in the ressies and Aliir off the list completely. I wonder if we will give Aliir a go in the seniors this week, but more likely will play ressies I would think.

Hopefully we get some more info on Jones, Hannebery and Reid once the injury update video is out. All 3 are important players for us.

Impressive GWS small forward Zac Langdon has a broken hand and will miss several weeks, although his name doesn't appear on the GWS injury list. We all know that Tom Scully fractured his ankle and will miss most of the season.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd say there's close to zero chance that Aliir gets a run in the seniors this week. His only chance would be an injury to one of the incumbent taller defenders but even then, I suspect Marsh would be preferred to Aliir.

I like Aliir but he's a bit of a confidence player and he's also still inexperienced at senior level. I don't think it would do him any good to come into the senior team without a few weeks of solid NEAFL under his belt. He's not played any football for around a month now.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    So Newman should spit the dummy because he got dropped. Gee that's the character we need to encourage.
    He's been with club for four season's now. Would you hang around when you keep getting dropped after a 21 possession game in a winning team? .....and while 6 possession players remain in the team?

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    He's been with club for four season's now. Would you hang around when you keep getting dropped after a 21 possession game in a winning team? .....and while 6 possession players remain in the team?
    Conversely why would you spit the dummy when omitted from the team for a week?

I think it was mystifying and barring anything we're not aware of, he should be back soon.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    He's been playing mostly midfield
    Paps obviously has footy smarts, which is why he finds himself in the mid field a lot these days. While I'm all for having a bevy of 'versatile' players, a couple of seasons ago we were crying out for some quick damaging small forwards....we get one of the best and now we're wasting him in a mid field that really doesn't need boosting. The other recent small forward acquisition in Hayward seems to be spending some time in the midfield as well. I say, just leave where they can be most damaging and can help out Bud as well.......!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Conversely why would you spit the dummy when omitted from the team for a week?

I think it was mystifying and barring anything we're not aware of, he should be back soon.
    Do you know something we don't? Because whenever I got dropped from the seniors (didn't happen much I must say), while I may have been confident of quickly regaining my place, I was never thinking 'oh, it'll just be for a week'. No one knows what the future holds.....or what the coach is thinking. I agree he should be back soon.....this week (!) but, barring adverse disciplinary reasons, he wouldn't know that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd say there's close to zero chance that Aliir gets a run in the seniors this week. His only chance would be an injury to one of the incumbent taller defenders but even then, I suspect Marsh would be preferred to Aliir.

I like Aliir but he's a bit of a confidence player and he's also still inexperienced at senior level. I don't think it would do him any good to come into the senior team without a few weeks of solid NEAFL under his belt. He's not played any football for around a month now.
    I was thinking the same. As much as I would like to see Aliir back in the side, he's missed a lot of footy the past month. I was hoping we would get a report on the NEAFL practice match, because he was listed as 'test' on last week's injury report, so there was a chance of him playing, and if he did play and play well, he would be some chance of senior selection, especially given the tall GWS lineup. It's hard to read into Tom Harley's injury update this week, but it sounds like he didn't play on the weekend.

Also sounds like Hanners and Reid will play but Jones is doubtful. Again, just trying to read Harley's mind. So maybe just Reid in. Perhaps for Hayward, but very hard to guess selection these days.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast