Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Mitchell is a once a generation player you build a midfield around. Swans, in a short term approach, weren't prepared to do that, believing they could extract premierships with the current line up.

Hawthorn were prepared to build a midfield around mitchell, and a now reaping the benefits.

Nankervis v nainsmith was a call the swans got wrong. Nanker is a premiership ruckman who spends a lot on the ground (game time and lack of injuries)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mitchell is a once a generation player
    Rohan is a once in a generation player. He gives you something to write about day after day after day. A forum poster's dream.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Mitchell is a once a generation player you build a midfield around.
    Couldn't agree less with that. Hawthorn won't be a contender while they have a single player capable of winning contested ball. You need a spread, which is what the Swans have. Kennedy is undisputably as good as contested ball winner as Mitchell, and IMO, Hannebery and Parker are just as good players with more strings to their bows. Regardless, a midfield with all four wasn't 4/3 times as good as a midfield with just three of them. Arguably it was less effective due to the lack of variety.

Ablett ran around in the Gold Coast midfield for several years racking up the same kind of numbers and look where that got them.

Veterans List
    We made a decision on Mitchell based on the profile type of our mids and the significant hit to our bursting salary cap. We did a quick trade for unders just so we could do further deals and keeping us out of the subsequent 11th hour quagmire that Hawthorn got into trying to get O'Meara across the line. If we'd held out for more O'Meara may have been done for pick 14 and we would have been stuck with late negotiations.

Mitchell is a ball magnet but he plays a much larger amount of game time at Hawthorn than he would if still with us where he'd be competing for midfield time with our other guns. Get over it I say, we're moving forward with a more dynamic group.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I agree with the main part of your sentence but have issues with the qualifier.
    Clever in that a fair number of people read it as meaningful. Clever as opposed to intelligent.

Couldn't agree less with that. Hawthorn won't be a contender while they have a single player capable of winning contested ball. .
    From what I witnessed on the weekend Hawthorn will smash us. Does this mean we won't be contenders?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    From what I witnessed on the weekend Hawthorn will smash us. Does this mean we won't be contenders?
    It's a brave woman who says hawthorn aren't contenders from what we have seen so far.

Veteran Site Admin
    You can't judge who'll beat who based on single games. We have had a long standing problem with Hawthorn in that their game style directly counters ours and they're good at it. But I don't believe they are genuine contenders this year, and I think we are. Others will have different opinions.

You can't judge who'll beat who based on single games. We have had a long standing problem with Hawthorn in that their game style directly counters ours and they're good at it. But I don't believe they are genuine contenders this year, and I think we are. Others will have different opinions.
    It is true that Horse has only won 5 from 17 V Clarkson. He's Clarkson's bunny but that's another issue. I just think it's a shame we didn't pay Mitch what he's worth and we kept wasting money on Tippett.
    Still it's time to move on I suppose.

Veteran Site Admin
    He's Clarkson's bunny but that's another issue.
    I wouldn't say Bunny, because a lot of the games have been very close. We should have won the first encounter last season, despite being down to 20 men by half-time. The second one was 50/50 - could have gone either way. It's just that we were smashing most other teams around the time that the second game was played.

Mind you, the loss probably galvanised the group somewhat. We went down to the Cattery the following week and beat them very comfortably, something that might not have happened had Hawthorn not reminded them of what it feels like to lose.

From what I've seen tonight. The Wobbles have made a very astute trade to get Sam Murray...

It's early days I know, but he is igniting the Wobbles right now.

We may need to add him to the growing list of Swans players prospering elsewhere
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    From what I've seen tonight. The Wobbles have made a very astute trade to get Sam Murray...It's early days I know, but he is igniting the Wobbles right now.
    Really? They�ve picked up a bloke that would have been lucky to get a game for us. Sure he�s going OK for them but by geez they�d hope he is because they paid top top dollar for him. Murray will be a handy player imo but not much more. Time will tell but I think it unlikely we�ll voew that trade badly in years to come.

Let�s not forget the Pies have really only now got one decent pick this year at the draft because of this trade

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast