Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3, Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 07/04/18, SCG @sydneyswans #AFLSwansGiants

One passage of play involving Hanners and Rohan in front of the O'Reilly stand summed up where they are both at right now for mine.

I think we turned over, anyway the giants player was streaming down the wing and Hanners was chasing, but losing ground. Rohan was standing in space ahead of the giants player, but just spectating. Hanners is chasing and gestures at Rohan to run across. Rohan flies across the ground, applies a bump as the giant kicks and the resulting poor kick defuses the attack. Something he would previously have done on instinct.

Hannebery is not quite match fit yet.
    Gary is still lightning quick and can kick, but his mind isn't in the game, he just isn't reading it that well and seems content to just drift around a kick out of the game.

So some easy improvement from both of them.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    One passage of play involving Hanners and Rohan in front of the O'Reilly stand summed up where they are both at right now for mine.

I think we turned over, anyway the giants player was streaming down the wing and Hanners was chasing, but losing ground. Rohan was standing in space ahead of the giants player, but just spectating. Hanners is chasing and gestures at Rohan to run across. Rohan flies across the ground, applies a bump as the giant kicks and the resulting poor kick defuses the attack. Something he would previously have done on instinct.

Gary is still lightning quick and can kick, but his mind isn't in the game, he just isn't reading it that well and seems content to just drift around a kick out of the game.

Yes, that's a strong memory of that passage of play when Shiels just gunned past Hannebery. Fair comments about both.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think it would matter if Hanners were match fit - he'd still have trouble keeping up with Shiel. Shiel is a very explosive player with a brilliant turn of speed. Footspeed, on the other hand, isn't one of Hanners' strengths.

Warming the Bench
    Reid is so crucial for us
    Rohan has to play every game. They change our forward structure and make us so much flexible and dangerous.
    Rohan has limited touches but he is a good mark so the opposition have to pay him respect
    They all know about his speed so that adds to the defenders issues
    Must play both Reid and Rohan forward and bring back Newman for gods sake

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post

This is a good summary of Rohan's career. His positional play is appalling. He can make up for standing of his man with speed but only sometimes. I'm not sure if it's a coaches issue as he may be instructed to play that way a d he keeps getting selected so maybe it is. But he/we will have to resign ourselves that he'll only get a dozen touches a game max from miskicks if he's always standing in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I really love the team first attitude of George Hewitt. He was certainly acknowledged by Horse and others post match but it deserves mentioning again. Whitfield had 7 possessions to 3/4 time. He got to 15 in the end but the 8 in the final quarter were largely cheap. It wasn�t as though Whitfield was lazy either - he ran 16.2 kms for the match which was the most of anyone. Hewett, of course, was number 2. The role of a good tigger is certainly not dead.
    I wonder if we'll use him in that role on Mitchell when we play Hawthorn.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Sinkers had a great game, but only against a hobbled Lobb (who hasn't proven he's a 1st ruck even when fit) and part timer Patton.

Good signs, but ruck is still a weakness in our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    I still worry how we will go against a team with an elite ruckman but Sinkers will give us 100% and that is all we can ask for.
    I think we will do better against elite ruckmen than poor ones. The problem with the Sinkers in this game is that he won too many of the hitouts which led to the Giants dominating the clearances. GWS were focused on reading Sinclair's taps, which are not that well disguised, and set up for that eventuality.

Sinclair did his job well as a ruckman, but it didn't benefit the team, at least in that capacity (although his overall game was quite good). Towers, on the other hand, was more effective because we were better set up for his kind of ruck work, which is more directed at causing enough disruption to affect the hitout, let gravity do it's job, then follow up by becoming an extra midfielder at the contest.

The way to play the ruck contests is NOT to win the hitout. Let the opposing ruckman tap the ball. While that ruckman is looking up admiring his work, the opposing ruckman is focused on where the ball is going and becomes an extra player at the contest, creating an advantage. The ruck contest is not the same as a marking contest. Winning the hitout does not result in possession and a free kick. The result is a loose ball and whoever is best set up for that will come out the winner.

I was watching the Eagles-Geelong game to observe how Naitanui and Lysett went against a couple of amateurs. Until the last quarter when an injury ravaged Geelong not could contend any longer, they were winning the clearances against the best ruckman in the league. This was especially true in the 3rd quarter. The commentators were lauding Nicnat's ruck dominance, but they weren't really looking at what was happening, just spewing out the usual platitudes about an icon player's greatness.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Wow! I always thought that was Gerard Whately (also a Cats fan), but you are right - it was Hudson.
    "I see it, but I don't believe it!"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Well, wasn't that lovely?
    Towers is underrated. He did some lovely things at crucial times.
    Massive room for improvement by all and sundry. Percentage is a big deal and we need lots of it.
    Agreed re Towers. I think there were at least three long and precise kicks either out of defence or inside 50 which led to goals. Only Franklin had more I50s.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Reid is so crucial for us
    Rohan has to play every game. They change our forward structure and make us so much flexible and dangerous.
    Rohan has limited touches but he is a good mark so the opposition have to pay him respect
    They all know about his speed so that adds to the defenders issues
    Must play both Reid and Rohan forward and bring back Newman for gods sake
    Agree re Reid and Rohan. Who makes way for Newman? Cunningham and Florent obvious two, but both played well on Saturday and Florent was excellent the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Well, wasn't that lovely?
    Towers is underrated. He did some lovely things at crucial times.
    Massive room for improvement by all and sundry. Percentage is a big deal and we need lots of it.
    Yeah, I'd love to go back and rehash some quotes made about him after his couple of late errors in his early games.
    Some here wanted him not only sacked, but hung, drawn and quartered.
    Glad he had grown as expected.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.