Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Match Day Experience

Hi
    One minor matter is the opening of the Gates for the NEAFL games. There are announcements that they will open at 3.40 with the game scheduled for 3.45 but they didn't open until well after that hence we all missed the start of the game. Small issue I know.

I echo (groan groan I know!) the comments about sound systems being very loud, especially at half time.

One good thing I note is the vastly improved bag check/entry at the Members Gate at the SCG. Much better with the bag check first than it all being chocked into the little area behind the gates.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post

One thing to consider though is the match day experience is likely geared towards non-members, part-timers, who may see three hours as a long commitment of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those part-timers will often need some explanations of rules and who is doing what during the breaks. It's impossible at the mo.

I'm with everyone else on this thread - the high-volume and relentless nature of the entertainment means:
    1) I now tune it ALL out
    2) I don't get to spend much time talking to the friends I have seats with although we come from as far as Canberra to catch up
    3) I deliberately get to the game just before the bounce to minimise how much of the "entertainment" I have to experience

It's not just that the PA is loud it's that those with the microphones feel the need to yell into them rather than just talk and let the mikes do their job. It's not as loud in the Concourse as in the stands as we don't have the sound being captured by the walls behind us but I have sat up there and know what you mean.

My match day issue is the food and drink prices have been jacked up yet again. They are running far ahead of inflation and are beyond the pale really.

I also had two blokes behind me who didn't like being asked to stop swearing, but that's not the fault of the Swans or the SCG.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Warming the Bench
    Aah..."match-day experience"...a term that sends shivers down my spine.
    In a perfect world I would have reserves (featuring affordable food and drinks), followed by seniors (featuring affordable food and drinks), followed by a kick on the ground all without being aurally assaulted by advertising.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
    Hi
    One minor matter is the opening of the Gates for the NEAFL games. There are announcements that they will open at 3.40 with the game scheduled for 3.45 but they didn't open until well after that hence we all missed the start of the game. Small issue I know.
    Been complaining about this for the best part of 12 years, I'm not holding my breath. If the SCG Trust are going to be so particular as to give a small window of 5 minutes to get to your seats, then the least they could do is to honour that start time.

Senior Player
    I think the fact that the term or should I say marketing concept "Match Day Experience" even exists should set off alarm bells.
    Anyone who has ever spent any time going to major sports in the US will know where this "experience" has been imported
    from. At least watching a game on TV you can turn the sound off.

So Sweet Caroline got a massive percentage of votes in about 3 seconds flat.
    This song ruins my match day experience. Every. Single. Time.
    Just give it up. Please. It's got nothing to do with football and everything to do with NAH NAH NAH.
    Teach the kids how to sing Up There For Sydney, and after a few weeks, you won't need a bouncing ball. I'm sure the players would get more revved up by it than Sweet Freakin Caroline.
    It has far more to do with footy and we can pay royalties to an Australian (rather than Neil Diamond... is he still alive?).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

We�ve had problems in the past with the speakers in our part of the ground not being on at all. We�ve noticed the new speakers and haven�t found a particular issue with volume, although it�s difficult to make out a lot of what comes out, especially the prerecorded material that we�d be most interested in.

My personal gripe is that whoever is responsible for turning on the Sportsears feed (umpires and/or TV commentary) periodically forgets to do so. When they do turn it on, they will often turn it off on the siren, even when there is a set shot still to be taken.
    Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Teach the kids how to sing Tom Wills Would, and after a few weeks, you won't need a bouncing ball. I'm sure the players would get more revved up by it than Sweet Freakin Caroline.
    It has far more to do with footy and we can pay royalties to an Australian (rather than Neil Diamond... is he still alive?).
    Alive, but has Parkinsons.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

My match day issue is the food and drink prices have been jacked up yet again. They are running far ahead of inflation and are beyond the pale really.
    Yep. The catering at the SCG is absolutely atrocious compared to how it was at ANZ Stadium. Shrunken, dry Four 'n' Twenty pies and sausage rolls that taste disgusting and cost a fortune, with some dimwit behind the counter getting the order and being the cashier.

And no, I don't want Doyles fish and chips. If I want that I'll drive to Watons Bay. It's footy, not a day at the beach.

Oh for the days of ducking down to the self serve at ANZ for a handful of Vilis pies & sausage rolls at about 30% less the price they are at the SCG, not to mention taking the order to any of 4 or 5 cashiers waiting to serve...
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast