Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SCG Match Day Experience

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Yep. The catering at the SCG is absolutely atrocious compared to how it was at ANZ Stadium. Shrunken, dry Four 'n' Twenty pies and sausage rolls that taste disgusting and cost a fortune, with some dimwit behind the counter getting the order and being the cashier.

And no, I don't want Doyles fish and chips. If I want that I'll drive to Watons Bay. It's footy, not a day at the beach.

Oh for the days of ducking down to the self serve at ANZ for a handful of Vilis pies & sausage rolls at about 30% less the price they are at the SCG, not to mention taking the order to any of 4 or 5 cashiers waiting to serve...
    The way the catering deals work is that the catering company will pay an upfront fee and/or royalty to the venue to secure the
    deal for x number of years.Then they will spend the duration of the contract trying to recoup the advance and/or cover the
    royalty by charging as much as they can while offering as little as they can in return. The venues don't care, they've got their money,
    and the more they get from the catering company, the higher the prices and the lower the quality will be. This is the so-called
    "business model" folks. On Saturday night during the second quarter Mrs Tigers bought the last sandwich in
    the Brewongle, and by that I mean two tired slices of bread with a piece of pumpkin and lettuce between them that looked liked
    it had been sitting in an unrefrigerated warehouse in Wetherill Park since the Tommy Hafey days for $9.
    All part of the "Match Day Experience" I suppose.
    Last edited by KTigers; 11th April 2018 at 03:09 PM.

Taking three kids to the footy is very expensive if you rely on in-house outlets. Docklands and MCG are a bit better than SCG in my experience but still a rip-off.

That's why I pack a delicious hamper from home which affords much better quality food at a fraction of the cost. I realise not everybody can do this but it can be as simple as buying a baguette, some ham and some cheese (adding sun-dried tomatoes and pesto helps). Take a packet of chips or a healthier snack plus water and a handful of apples and everyone is happy and well fed.

Whack it all in a back-pack and Bob's your uncle. Works for me. It's not that hard.

They do get an ice-cream at half time which tallies over $20. Robbery.

Now, about those over-bearing PA systems and flashing lights at ground level. "Match day experieince" is a blight.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Taking three kids to the footy is very expensive if you rely on in-house outlets. Docklands and MCG are a bit better than SCG in my experience but still a rip-off.

That's why I pack a delicious hamper from home which affords much better quality food at a fraction of the cost. I realise not everybody can do this but it can be as simple as buying a baguette, some ham and some cheese (adding sun-dried tomatoes and pesto helps). Take a packet of chips or a healthier snack plus water and a handful of apples and everyone is happy and well fed.

Whack it all in a back-pack and Bob's your uncle. Works for me. It's not that hard.

They do get an ice-cream at half time which tallies over $20. Robbery.

Now, about those over-bearing PA systems and flashing lights at ground level. "Match day experieince" is a blight.
    Perfect .
    No ice creams then , just a bag of glucose jellybeans from a chemist shop @ $3.85

Veterans List
    I went to the MCG last year to see the Swans play Hawthorn. It was the first time I'd been to the 'G for a number of years, since before the new Great Southern Stand was built. I was in the members area and I was very impressed with both the food and the prices. Service was quick and efficient as well. I went to Simmons Stadium in Geelong the year before last and was impressed by the new stand and while the food and drink situation was OK, it was nothing special. I've been to Etihad a few times in the last few years and that's not too bad but for food and drink, I thought the MCG was much better. The AFL has been bragging about cheaper food prices and more food choices for a couple of years now.....did they mean just for Victoria?

Thanks to those that responded to my post regarding the really loud pa system at the scg. The term match day experience was used by me for want of a better term. It is a bit of an advertising term. I am going tonight but I will sit on the concourse behind the goals. I might go up to level 1 and see if the pa is oppressively loud.
    Thanks to those that raised other issues too. I hope that somehow the scg can get the message that loud pa systems, wall to wall advertising and overpriced food is a turn off to fans. I will write to the Swans and formally complain about the loudness of the pa system.
    Go Swans!

Warming the Bench
    How do you go last night Lado?

I'm praying they don't bring in light laser shows! Some of the advertising lighting around the ground is quite annoying and as I sit in the Trumper Stand, I have quite bit to look at. I have epilepsy and lights can have an affect on me.

The speakers aren't any different to last year though I'm sure they turn that damn music up for Sweet Caroline for which I try and seek refuge out the back on Level 3 of the Trumper Stand. And turn the music down full stop. We are not at a concert!

And I've been saying on Twitter that they should bring back "Up there for Sydney" at 3/4 time like they did a few years ago.

And don't get me started on the food! Abysmal, over priced, rude and clueless staff. Thank goodness I'm Premiership Club and could cross into the Red Zone as Trumper Stand and also the outlet behind Bay 33 did not have any wraps. I'm going to Subway beforehand next time!

Horses????
    Where the F did they pull that one out of?
    Game day experience is getting to be a chore.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Just managed to get to my first game of the year, and maybe I'm going deaf in my old age, but the music didn't seem quite as loud as it has previously. Or maybe I'm just getting better at tuning it out.

Also on the upside - it was a good sized crowd, and once the umpires got them involved the atmosphere was pretty good. Sadly the Swans play managed to nullify the crowd effect pretty quickly.

The food is atrocious, but my wife got quite a nice vegetarian nachos thing from an Agape food truck outside the gates, which is an improvement.

There are some ok beers, but I do feel a bit sad at the thought of the kids not having an inheritance after I lashed out and bought two.

And as for "Horses"....

I don�t need the ground announcer bellowing the score after each quarter.
    Terry Wallace is probably a decent fellow. But he�s not the right person to comment on proceedings and point out the bleeding obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Horses????
    Where the F did they pull that one out of?
    Game day experience is getting to be a chore.
    That's the way it's gonna be, little darling.

Friday night we sat on the concourse behind the goals in the red zone. The advertising around the big screen was gone and the match stats were back. Theres a plus.
    If the pa was oppressively loud with advertising we couldn't hear it where we were. I did not go up to level 1 to see what it was like up there. Might try again when we play North Melbourne.
    We did end up sitting behind a long row of beer heads who decided that belting out Sweet Caroline and Horses at about 100db would be entertaining (for them). Oh well at least that was "real" noise and they did finally concentrate on the game by the 4th quarter. We splashed out $14 (!) on tepid chips which tasted like salty cardboard. That will teach me to contemplate SCG food.
    All things considered not too bad, apart from match result. I'm looking forward to the next game.
    I'm beginning to dislike the term "matchday experience"!

I forgot to mention. We escaped at half time and sat out the back of the grandstand. You can't do this if you are not in the members area, unless you go outside completely which is an option. This is where we ate our cold chips and contemplated the Swans performance.
    Last edited by Lado; 23rd April 2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: missing word

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast