Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: SCG Match Day Experience

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I take a thermos with tea in and depending on the game time a sandwich for lunch or something more substantial for dinner.
    When I was a kid my mum used to take 2 thermoses- 1 with hot water and hot dogs in it so she could make them at the game, the other with hot water for a cup of tea. I once asked her if she ever got the two confused and my father's face lit up and my mother shut him down quickly and said "NO!".
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Essentially the way stadium deals work is the catering contract goes to the company that offers the largest upfront and/or guaranteed
    payment to the stadium. Then it's the usual race to the bottom as the company that ends up with the deal attempts to recoup their investment
    as fast as they can by offering the lowest levels of service and quality at as high a price as they can get away with from the captive market
    at a game. These big catering companies are so large I'd be surprised if the people "running" these businesses in the US, or UK or France
    even knows their organisation has the contract at the SCG. Basically no one cares.

The quality and price is one thing, but it's the slow service that doesn't make sense. The bar is the worst. It's like they have a system: a person taking money and a person pouring. But they swap around, watch each other, do nothing, etc. Useless.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The quality and price is one thing, but it's the slow service that doesn't make sense. The bar is the worst. It's like they have a system: a person taking money and a person pouring. But they swap around, watch each other, do nothing, etc. Useless.
    I assume its in the caterers interest to sell as much food, beer etc as possible, so the faster they go, the better for everyone.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This is certainly the case for the bars in the Bradman concourse. Staff there are almost always hopeless - slow, inefficient, and it's nigh on impossible to get a beer during the match without missing at least half a quarter. They've been like that since the stand opened and a reason why I'm looking at sitting elsewhere next season.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The food service was abysmal on Saturday night at the back of the Red Zone - 20 minutes to get a lousy cup of chips in the lead up to the game. Was worried I would miss out on seeing the boys run out at one stage.
    I gave up before the game and came back at quarter time. There was NOTHING ready and the line was crazy long as everybody waited for warm food. Quarter time, there was nobody there and plenty of food.
    Life's not a spectator sport

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    This is certainly the case for the bars in the Bradman concourse. Staff there are almost always hopeless - slow, inefficient, and it's nigh on impossible to get a beer during the match without missing at least half a quarter. They've been like that since the stand opened and a reason why I'm looking at sitting elsewhere next season.
    You think your experience will be different in any other part of the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yep, don't come to the O'Reilly, at a big game like Saturday it's hopeless.
    (although if you walk round the old hill, you can get real beer)
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Lol please don't ruin my delusion!

There is a nice little bar at the back of the Trumper stand, upstairs, which is quite good for a quiet beer before the main game, ie Ressies half time, but I'm not sure how busy it gets during the match. I'm aiming for that direction next year - also away from the sometimes odious visiting fans that are most concentrated in the Bradman concourse.

This year is the worst it has ever been, and that is saying something.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    This year is the worst it has ever been, and that is saying something.
    Longmires fault!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Longmires fault!
    No point in having a catering plan b if the team can't/won't implement it under pressure 😉

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast