Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCG Match Day Experience

SCG Match Day Experience

Gday everyone.
    I'm new to the forum and I wanted to see what others have experienced this year at the scg. I have been a member for over 10 years and rarely miss a home game. I didn't go last night to the Giants game but last week I went but my match day experience was a bit of a turn off. I recently had some eye surgery so I left my seat in the Noble Stand and went back up to the bar area to get away from the sun and I found all the screens showing the game had about 30% of the screen filled with advertising which I found disconcerting to watch. At half time I returned to my seat only to find that I was bombarded with really loud advertising and it didnt stop for the whole of half time. I found it really loud and oppressive. Not enjoyable at all. I dont recall this occuring last year at all. This oppressive noise continued right up to the bounce of the ball for the second half.
    Next game I am going to sit behind the goalposts on the concourse hoping to get away from the advertising noise.
    What has anyone else found? I am sitting in the Red Zone in the Noble Stand. Am I imagining things?
    I didn't go last night because of my experience from last week.

I absolutely agree about the PA at half time in particular. I was trying to have catch-up chats with all the regulars up in the O'Reilly Stand and we actually, literally, gave up. We looked at each other, unable to hear each other, shrugged, and withdrew into our little cocoons. Awful. Please take note, people at Swans.

We wander out of the ground at half time to get away from the noise. Smoke is better than the noise.

Senior Player
    I get that the AFL is a successful business and much of that is sponsorship - but yeah, it does feel relentlessly loud these days. Feels like there was much more time for and focus on relaxed conversation during the afternoon games in the early 2000s when I first started going.

Veterans List
    Any chance we can get a conversation going with someone/anyone at the Swans about these issues? Or will it be like the non reporting of NEAFL!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I get that the AFL is a successful business and much of that is sponsorship - but yeah, it does feel relentlessly loud these days. Feels like there was much more time for and focus on relaxed conversation during the afternoon games in the early 2000s when I first started going.
    Big Bash crickets bombastic approach and it's meteoric rise in popularity seems to have influenced the AFL's interpretation of the 'fan experience' I think........whereas most fans just come to see a good game and that's entertainment enough. Footy is a great game......and half time is for chilling out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm pleased and encouraged to read so many comments that take up this issue. Here are my earlier comments repeated from the "Not so Sweet Caroline" thread:

I couldn't care less about Sweet Caro but I HATE the nonstop bilge from the SCG sound system. It becomes impossible to have a conversation about the match progress. It is aimed at people with the attention span of a goldfish, as if we are preschoolers who can't entertain themselves.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Big Bash crickets bombastic approach and it's meteoric rise in popularity seems to have influenced the AFL's interpretation of the 'fan experience.
    Yep, only a matter of time till we get the dreaded Kiss Cam!

Another thing annoying me (which seems to be new, perhaps not) is that about a third of the scoreboard is taken up with advertisements (across the bottom and down the right hand side) so limiting the amount and placement of match info on the screen. I was desperately searching for time left in the last quarter and eventually found it buried in the middle. It used to be in the right-hand bottom corner (which is now covered with an ad).

Hello Meg
    The way the ads cover 30% of the screen is a total head scramble. Who comes up with that crap? I think we need to make some sort of complaint to someone.

Happy and I know it
    I tweeted to the SCG during the reserves game, asking if they could turn down the volume from the speakers in the Brewongle because our ears were hurting from the noise level. They were responsive and adjusted the volume - thank goodness. There appear to be new speakers in all the stands since last season and perhaps they are still tweaking?

About the ads: sadly, this sponsorship is what keeps our club running.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

My memory of the 2016 GF was that once the entertainment had finished, there was about 20 minutes before the game with no 'formal' proceedings. Instead, we all talked with each other, and the hype built around the ground because of that. It was fantastic: no hyperventilating ground announcers, no music, no battery of amplified noise, just a genuine, tense, excited anticipation. The Club has to understand that the vast majority of people at every game know what is going on, and what is at stake in each and every game, and don't need everything shoved down our throats all the time. Spend the energy keeping us better informed through the website.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Pretty good discussion here. I�ll be seeing quite a few people from the club tomorrow, happy to sound out whether there are any intentions to do a more comprehensive fan day experience survey.

One thing to consider though is the match day experience is likely geared towards non-members, part-timers, who may see three hours as a long commitment of time.

I don�t know, but I can always ask the question.

I�ll compile this feedback and will send it through to the right people. Keep the comments coming though, the more the better. Just ensure the feedback is practical and something the club can work with.

Cheers, Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast