Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 4 V Western Bulldogs

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd forgotten all about Jones. Agree that he is more likely to come into the side than Newman.

Rose might get a chance if Rohan isn't available but I think they're more likely to bring in a Newman or Robinson. The forward line will need a rejig without Reid, even more so if Rohan's absent. But that might just mean Heeney, Hayward, Parker and/or Kennedy spending a bit more time in the forward line.

Reid is a big loss with yet another long term injury. It could be a lot longer than 8 weeks, so we will have to plan on not having him for the season and just be happy if he does manage a successful return this year. Both the Reid brothers are so prone to soft tissue injuries. It's almost hard to plan for them playing.

I wouldn't go too deep into our list searching for a tall forward replacement. It's really not necessary. We have no one that's ready anyway. With Buddy in the side we have the flexibility to play any number of players in a supporting cast.

It certainly places a lot more responsibility on Rohan to step up. He has his chance to stand out as our second forward and try to do the things that Reid normally does. Towers is playing well and also offers a very quick forward option who plays tall because of his leap. Hayward will also pick up some slack. I think that's a pretty good forward line with loads of speed, marking power and goal kicking ability.

Longer term this season, there may be an opportunity to play Dawson in a forward role. He could come off the injury list this week. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off last year and challenge for a senior spot after a few games in the NEAFL.

Jones is an obvious inclusion to replace one of our 2 injured players.

I'm inclined to bring in Newman as the other inclusion. He was our best player in the reserves and is clearly an AFL quality player. His foot skills were really on display in the reserves game. He also has the flexibility to play several roles. Marsh is an option, but prefer Newman against the smaller Bulldogs team.

I think Aliir needs another week in the reserves where he can play a full game. We don't need another tall defender for WB. The only consideration for bringing him in would be to prepare him for the following week's game with Adelaide with an AFL game.

I was a bit surprised how well we handled the GWS talls. I feel that if we can play 2 tall defenders plus Rampe most weeks that we will be tall enough. The trend is toward smaller quicker sides and we are also heading in that direction.

Warming the Bench
    I would look at playing Sinclair more forward and give Cameron a go
    Especially with Reid out for so long.
    We look so much more dangerous with Buddy roaming around the 50

Bulldogs don't have many talls so we should try and get Alir in and some confidence
    Newman is a must for me
    Need to improve the kicking skills around the ground

Outs - Reid, Melican, Cunningham
    Ins - Cameron, Alir, Newman

Jones causes some issues if he is fit

Senior Player
    So. We are without Marsh and Reid. Who will be in. Quite possibly without Rohan too.

I suspect it will be in Newman Marsh and Jones. Out Reid Melican and Rohan. They will rotate two back and one forward plus play another small more forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was a bit surprised how well we handled the GWS talls. I feel that if we can play 2 tall defenders plus Rampe most weeks that we will be tall enough. The trend is toward smaller quicker sides and we are also heading in that direction.
    Glad to hear you�ve changed your tune Ludwig.

It is a huge blow to lose Reid - he makes us a different team. But as Ludwig says, with his history (not to mention his brother's history), we really can't count on him playing.

Agree that Rohan needs to play deep and make strong leads to draw defenders away from Buddy. He's been a bit off form lately and I'm not sure how much he's going to provide for us. He's not exactly a "crash the pack" type of player either. The other player who I think looks good in the forward line is Heeney, but it is such a waste when he is doing so well in the midfield.

I agree that Marsh and Jones are the most likely ins. Hopefully Jones has found his groove and fixed up his disposal efficiency after round one.

I think we should win this. Bulldogs were woeful against GWS and I'm not convinced by what I saw of the Essendon game that they are really "back".

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I'd bring in Fox for Melican, Jones for Reid (with Heeney spending more time forward) and if Rohan is unavailable then Newman comes in for him.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    ... Agree that Rohan needs to play deep and make strong leads to draw defenders away from Buddy. He's been a bit off form lately and I'm not sure how much he's going to provide for us. He's not exactly a "crash the pack" type of player either. ...
    More a "crash into the fence" type
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Certainly this gives Dawson the perfect opportunity to get a good run at it one he�s had a couple of games in the Neafl

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd forgotten all about Jones. Agree that he is more likely to come into the side than Newman.

Rose might get a chance if Rohan isn't available but I think they're more likely to bring in a Newman or Robinson. The forward line will need a rejig without Reid, even more so if Rohan's absent. But that might just mean Heeney, Hayward, Parker and/or Kennedy spending a bit more time in the forward line.
    Sinkers did a great job "resting" in the forward line. That would also work against the Doggies, as would Deano "resting" there as well.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    I don't think there's a tall forward (or ruck) on our list who gets a call up this weekend. It's crazy to stick to the same game plan if we don't have the quality players to pull it off.

Marsh in for Melican makes sense as Aliir missed most of the pre season and could use a few more NEAFL games. Jones is an automatic in if fit, otherwise Newman. More time in the forward line for our marking Midfielders Joey, Parks and Heeney.

This is a great chance for either Cameron or McCartin to press his claim. If Cameron has a couple of good NEAFL games we can shift Sinclair into the forward line, he's one of our better marks at the moment

Warming the Bench
    Losing Sam Reid is a big loss. Having him creates doubt in opposition defenders. IMO Gary Rohan fills the role of swingman and it might help him get into the game more. If Melican is the only other injury then it's
    Out: Reid and Melican
    Ins: Newman and Jones (if fit) otherwise Marsh

The Bulldogs were quite frenetic on Sunday. They've now got a 6 day break and we have a 7 day break. I can't see them being able to back it up for next week. Their forward line only has 1 tall (Redpath) although Josh Dunkley is a good marking target.
    They probably won't get the favorable treatment from the umpires either - Beveridge is still paying off the umpires from the 2016 arrangement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast