Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 4 V Western Bulldogs

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    Losing Sam Reid is a big loss. Having him creates doubt in opposition defenders. IMO Gary Rohan fills the role of swingman and it might help him get into the game more. If Melican is the only other injury then it's
    Out: Reid and Melican
    Ins: Newman and Jones (if fit) otherwise Marsh

The Bulldogs were quite frenetic on Sunday. They've now got a 6 day break and we have a 7 day break. I can't see them being able to back it up for next week. Their forward line only has 1 tall (Redpath) although Josh Dunkley is a good marking target.
    They probably won't get the favorable treatment from the umpires either - Beveridge is still paying off the umpires from the 2016 arrangement
    In: Marsh, Jones

Out: Reid, Melican

Cunningham stays because of his speed. Marsh underrated and can play tallish. Buddy and Rohan to interchange playing high and low. Jones gives us speed and spite.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It is a huge blow to lose Reid - he makes us a different team. But as Ludwig says, with his history (not to mention his brother's history), we really can't count on him playing.

Agree that Rohan needs to play deep and make strong leads to draw defenders away from Buddy. He's been a bit off form lately and I'm not sure how much he's going to provide for us. He's not exactly a "crash the pack" type of player either. The other player who I think looks good in the forward line is Heeney, but it is such a waste when he is doing so well in the midfield.

I agree that Marsh and Jones are the most likely ins. Hopefully Jones has found his groove and fixed up his disposal efficiency after round one.

I think we should win this. Bulldogs were woeful against GWS and I'm not convinced by what I saw of the Essendon game that they are really "back".
    I agree with this, particularly on Rohan, Marsh and Jones. I'm a little more cautious about this week - they've matched up well against us under Beveridge.

[Edit: Although I reckon Rohan does crash the packs - he's one of the best contested marks in the team, just a little less often of late.]

I would probably select the replacements for Reid and Melican based on the opposition. So this week go smaller and more mobile.

I would pick Fox for Melican. He has been playing more as a half back. But he has been involved in the side recently, is quick and can leap. Alternatively we can bring in Jones or Newman into defence. Or Marsh seems our squad depth medium defender. It seems like Aliir is not match ready but could be a worthwhile risk because once Melican returns I am not sure when he gets another chance.

Against the bulldogs I would rather bring in Jones/Newman as another midfielder instead of Cameron. Jones would be good around the contest and Newman with his kicking.

If Rohan does not travel. I would be happy to take a gamble on a unproven player. Ronke could provide quick forward pressure and seems to find the ball. Amartey and Stoddart are unlikely but could be a possible half forward.

Veterans List
    Reid is a huge loss.....I don't believe we can win the premiership without him. We are a sensibly structured team with him in, we are a confused rabble without him.......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Reid is a huge loss.....I don't believe we can win the premiership without him. We are a sensibly structured team with him in, we are a confused rabble without him.......
    Agreed but we can beat the dogs without him.

In: Newman, Jones

Out: Reid, Melican

Cunningham the first to go when we get more fit bodies on the park

I know Buddy got us through in rd1 and everyone points to the model from Richmond last year. But Reid�s loss worries me a lot for our season. Other defences worry about him. He gives us flexibility on how we use Buddy. He�s quick and good defensively. And can drop back to defence if needed. And with our ruck stocks thin and McCartin so young, we don�t have an easy option as an alternative up forward. I think it�s going to be a suck it and see approach on whether we play Buddy solo, or take a punt with Cameron. But it will challenge our ability to press for top four.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    They probably won't get the favorable treatment from the umpires either - Beveridge is still paying off the umpires from the 2016 arrangement
    Hah! Thats what we all thought when we played them in the GF rematch last year. We were (again) thrashed by the umpires! FWIW, the combined free kick total from the 2016 GF and rematch was 52-26...

As for Reid, I doubt he will ever have a good run with injuries.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Hah! Thats what we all thought when we played them in the GF rematch last year. We were (again) thrashed by the umpires! FWIW, the combined free kick total from the 2016 GF and rematch was 52-26...

As for Reid, I doubt he will ever have a good run with injuries.
    Reid is contracted until 2021. Hope I'm wrong but he is shaping as a mill stone around our neck a la Tippett. Important player for us but not when he is serially injured.

Our current injury list is quite reasonable as things go. No disrespect to Naismith, but Reid is the only major injury on our list now. Melican is an important player, but he should be available in a few weeks. Dawson and AJ look set to resume in the reserves. We still haven't used any first year players or debutantes this year, while lots of other clubs have.

Our depth is good and whatever selection we make this week we know that a quality player will come into the side, whether it's Jones, Fox, Newman, Marsh or Aliir, and there are still a few others who can do a decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Our current injury list is quite reasonable as things go. No disrespect to Naismith, but Reid is the only major injury on our list now. Melican is an important player, but he should be available in a few weeks. Dawson and AJ look set to resume in the reserves. We still haven't used any first year players or debutantes this year, while lots of other clubs have.

Our depth is good and whatever selection we make this week we know that a quality player will come into the side, whether it's Jones, Fox, Newman, Marsh or Aliir, and there are still a few others who can do a decent job.
    Our depth is really not good in the tall forward or ruck department. And we don�t really have a replacement for Melican if he�s missing v Adelaide. Hopefully we can fast track the development of some tall young players.

Veterans List
    What is going on with Newman? A couple of observers said he was BOG in last weeks ressies vs GWS and his stats support that view but the official view from the club gives us this - Best Players:H. Marsh, D. Robinson, D. Smith, J. Maibaum, B. Ronke

So on that basis I'm not happy with out Reid, Melican, in Marsh, Robbo

I quite like the idea of playing Darcy Cameron with him and Sinkers providing the second marking target up forward

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast