Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 4 V Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Our depth is really not good in the tall forward or ruck department. And we don�t really have a replacement for Melican if he�s missing v Adelaide. Hopefully we can fast track the development of some tall young players.
    Our 2 key forwards are top quality, but with the loss of Tippett our depth does fall away. On the positive side, we do have a few young prospects, but it may not help us much this year. Richmond has shown that a premiership can be won with just one key forward. It's more important to have the ability to score goals than the actual height of the players.

Aliir is the obvious replacement for Melican. He will probably play a full game or close to it in the reserves this week. All the indications from Harley and Horse are that he will come into the side when fit to play. He's also an option to go forward or play in the ruck, allowing to Sinclair to go forward.

Maibaum is going along okay. AJ is set to resume his attempt to revive his once promising career. Toby Pink is unfortunately out injured atm. We added Tom McCartin and Joel Amartey with the draft last year and both look reasonable prospects. I don't know what we can do to track them any faster. Every club is vulnerable to having its season undermined by injuries. I think Adelaide, Port and GWS have more depth than us, but we aren't that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    What is going on with Newman? A couple of observers said he was BOG in last weeks ressies vs GWS and his stats support that view but the official view from the club gives us this - Best Players:H. Marsh, D. Robinson, D. Smith, J. Maibaum, B. Ronke

So on that basis I'm not happy with out Reid, Melican, in Marsh, Robbo
    The Bests List in the reserves for some reason often doesn't reflect the best players. I don't know why Newman was omitted. There was nothing obvious. Perhaps he did something contrary to instructions.

Nic Newman was the most experienced of our players in both age and games played and looked to be in charge of the team even though Robbo was the official team captain. Robbo seems an intelligent young player, but a bit introverted and not inclined to on field leadership. Marsh, another of the more experienced players is also not overly expressive on the field. Aliir was clearly the leader of the defence and always seems to be the most vocal of our defensive group.

I don't think we should have both Sinclair and Cameron in the side at the same time. A smaller mobile forward would be more useful. As a ruckman going forward, either can make a contribution, but as a key forward they will just clog space in the forward line. I would much rather see Newman in the side which would allow one of our usual midfielders to go forward in rotation.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 10th April 2018 at 08:49 PM.

In the controlled confines of Etihad Stadium, Horse won't be able to help himself....He'll want another tall on board.

IN : Cameron , Newman /Jones (if fit) ,
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    In the controlled confines of Etihad Stadium, Horse won't be able to help himself....He'll want another tall on board.

IN : Cameron , Newman /Jones (if fit) ,
    I�m not sure I can even reply anymore. Went away for a while and had to re create an account! Not saying it�s the forum but the app has changed a bit. Any who - agree Reid out long term is a huge loss, this weekend though perhaps not so much. I agree with the call for one or all of Heeney, Parker and even JPK to spend more time up forward. Allir ain�t ready so give him more time. Actually don�t know why Newman got dropped, I�d have him in our side any day with his pace and foot skills. And if jones is ready then he is in also. Re shuffle the decks accordingly , the doggies aren�t tall up front so no loss with those ins. More midfield time for mills, Lloyd and possibly Newman and more forward time for Parker , JPK and Heeney. As long as we bring the pressure game we should be competitive. First game of the year attendance wise for me so looking for ward to it! Go bloods!

Veterans List
    Dogs aren't tall back or forward, they'll try and burn us with pace and slick throwing of the ball. Reid, Melican out, no same type replacements available so bring in best available, Newman is a must in, after that Jones appears to still be struggling, Robbo was very good last weekend.

Why can't he get a game? - AFL.com.au

Nic Newman

The versatile 25-year-old was unlucky to be dropped after gathering 19 possessions in Sydney's round one win over West Coast, and despite playing 20 games last season in defence and on a wing, he looks to be out of favour. Newman's leg speed is his biggest issue where he can be exposed in the midfield, and with Jarrad McVeigh, Jake Lloyd, Callum Mills and Nick Smith locks as small defenders, there doesn't seem to be a spot for him at the moment. Newman uses the ball well on his trusty left boot but he might be forced to wait for his opportunity in the NEAFL. - Adam Curley

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    ... Newman's leg speed is his biggest issue where he can be exposed in the midfield,...
    Really?? Never seemed slow across the ground to me.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    I wonder whether they'll be tempted to bring in Cameron as second ruck and use Towers (I can't believe I'm suggesting this) as the other "key forward". He can clunk a mark (as easily as he drops a chest mark) and he can kick a goal (as easily as he can shank a 20m lead up pass). Had a good game last week Towers and perhaps we should find out whether he can play this role.

Jones set for return - sydneyswans.com.au

Head of Football Tom Harley said he expects the 23-year-old to return to the side for Saturday�s match against the Dogs.

�Zak is a really important player for us and we are looking forward to him coming back into the side on Saturday,� Harley said. �We�ve got training on Thursday and all things being equal, Zak will get through that and be available to play.�

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Really?? Never seemed slow across the ground to me.
    This sounds like Mitchell, and we all know how that turn out!

You don't have to have lighting speed to very effective at AFL level.
    doof-doof

I don�t think anyone is saying Newman is not skilful
    I don�t think he has been dropped for lack of possession nor lack of skill nor lack of effort

My observation of the pre season and first games this season and watching other teams besides the Swans is that we are evolving our style of play.

I think our team balance requires faster give and go players....... period.

The game is definitely faster and that means we need more fast paced players to minimise separation to direct opponent and more pace to impose our evolving transitions

Our selections and our recruitment have shown that we need to be in alignment with the game

We have enough slower paced accumulators rotating thru the backline in mills, lloyd, macca Setting up our transitions

To beat the fast counter attack teams like port etc we need to have the whips cracking with the fast �give and go� players

It is a risk developing a player like say Ollie vs a Newman but I think the risk reward is in the right direction for future success this season Come finals
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 12th April 2018 at 08:11 AM.

Newman has shown to be a solid all around player who has good disposal skills, particularly by foot, but doesn't have a specific role that we miss if he is out of the side. He's easy to bring into the side, but also easy to drop. I suppose he can be seen as our best all around depth player atm and is often a better player than a few that do make the side. He has to be a very good chance to be selected this week, but not a certainty.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 12th April 2018 at 12:11 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Newman has done anything wrong. Many of us observed at the start of the season that we seem to have 25 or 26 capable senior level players in the squad this year, before even thinking about those yet to debut (or barely debuted, in the case of Dawson). Newman (and Fox) are just unlucky at this stage.

It doesn't help that our injuries have been concentrated amongst one type of player - talls - which doesn't help Newman force his way into the team.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast