Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 4 V Western Bulldogs

Changes for Rnd 4 V Western Bulldogs

It would be nice to be able to keep some consistency in our team selections each week but it seems that we are likely required to make at least two changes if the rumours about Reid and Melican are right.

Re: Reid - it is a real shame that he is injured. He helps our structure significantly. There is no real obvious like for like replacement so I think we just pick our next best player. If Jones is fit, it will be him, if not it should be Newman.

Re: Melican - For me, I think Aliir must be given first shot. It would've been nice for him to have another week in the twos but sometimes you can't have everything. Marsh is also a chance.

I don't think anyone else should be dropped.

Senior Player
    Has there been any news on Reid ? I�m hoping it�s not a quad tear and �just� a cork.

I�m not sure about not needed a like for like. I think we looked so much better in the forward line with Reid there. The second tall is vitally important. I would be very tempted to give Cameron a go as the second tall forward in place of Reid

Other than that I think jones comes back in for Melican and we play a shorter defence. The bulldogs matchups should be ok

Out Melican In Murry

It's hard to talk changes without knowing the details of our injury situation. I found an article which said that Tom Harley told The Australian that he was unsure about Ried's quad and Melican's hamstring injuries until they had scans.

Aliir can use another week in the reserves, but can play seniors if we want to give him some AFL experience before the Adelaide game next week, a tall side, where Aliir would be helpful. Zayne Cordy will miss for the Bulldogs with suspension, so they will be going in quite short, so I'm sure we can go in without Aliir.

Harley said that Jones was very likely to play, so that's 1 inclusion.

I would bring back Newman is both Reid and Melican miss, but leave Aliir as an option if we think he can gain more by playing seniors.

Ben Ronke is an outside chance having played well in the reserves. The Bulldogs would be a good opponent for him to kickoff his AFL career.

We do play better with Reid, but if he's out then Rohan will just have to step up and Buddy is likely to play closer to goal, which is probably not a bad idea anyway against WB. I don't think it will hurt us as much this game as it will against Adelaide.

Cameron was just okay in the reserves game and didn't really look an option at forward or ruck, at least based on that game.

The little information there is on the Reid and Melican injuries can be found here from the Swans website: Swans in the media - April 9, 2018 - sydneyswans.com.au
    Last edited by Ludwig; 9th April 2018 at 10:16 PM.

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php/43380-Changes-for-Rnd-4-V-Western-Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    One of the reasons we keep hearing Tom Harley mentioning his name when it comes to who is coming into the side soon is that we are well aware that he will be in very high demand regardless of his performance (which seems strange to say, but other clubs will back his potential). I don't know what we will offer him, but I have little doubt he would draw between 2 and 2.5 million over 4 years from other clubs, or perhaps more if he has a good season. I think he would be inclined to stay with any reasonable offer.
    It's one of the reasons why I think we aught to play AA this week if Melican is out. Keeping the likes of Hayward and Florent in the side, regardless of mistakes will do wonders for their footy development and also that sense of being part of the team. It's the right move. We need to do the same for Allir (and Newman for that matter too).

So long as Ruthless is involved in some way, shape or form.

Oh, and everyone should wear a glove. Just in case the roof is open and it gets a bit dewy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Adam Curley just tweeted that Sam Reid has quad tendon damage and out for at least 8 weeks, Melican out for 2 with a quad

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    It's one of the reasons why I think we aught to play AA this week if Melican is out. Keeping the likes of Hayward and Florent in the side, regardless of mistakes will do wonders for their footy development and also that sense of being part of the team. It's the right move. We need to do the same for Allir (and Newman for that matter too).
    I couldn't agree less with this. Bringing inexperienced players into the senior team when they don't have the fitness, match fitness, form and/or confidence to perform to the best of their abilities can't do them any good. Especially for a player in a key defensive role where errors get more scrutiny than anywhere else on the ground. If players like Hayward and Florent have a quiet game as a half forward, it won't damage the team or, usually, the player's confidence. But putting Aliir in before he's ready can't be good for him.

He injured his ankle in the first JLT game (and so played very little of that game). He then played no competitive football until Saturday. That's coming after a season where he struggled for form, largely due to having no pre-season due to his foot injury. He played barely half the game on Saturday, due to his playing time being managed.

I thought Aliir did quite a lot right on Saturday. His reading of the play was good and he got himself into the right place at the right time to impact contests. That's a good start. However, his judgement once in the contest wasn't always great, which is understandable for a player in his first game for a couple of months.

Also, I think the coaches need to work with Aliir to help him keep the game simple again. When he first broke into the senior team, that's exactly what he did. He kept the game simple. He defended his opponent first, and when he had possession, he usually kicked short. It worked for him. Since then, he's developed a tendency to bite off more than he can chew at times, to take on an opponent when he doesn't need to, and to attempt kicks that are very low percentage. Sure, great defenders do take risks (which sometimes don't come off) but they first focus on getting the basics right. And he's not a great defender (yet) and doesn't need to be. He just needs to come in and play on an opponent, try and beat him, and let the rest of his game develop from there, just as we have seen Melican do. I still think he's a pretty exciting prospect and I'd love to see him in the senior team and playing good football. But not in the senior team and playing error ridden, fancy football that he's not yet ready for.

If Melican misses this week with injury I think the coaches will bring in Marsh (who I think is the most competent player on the list not to be getting a regular game). It helps that the game is against the Dogs, who aren't the tallest team in the competition. That gives Aliir another NEAFL game to get more match fitness. If he performs well and Melican is injured (and that's speculative, given we don't yet have news on Melican), then bringing Aliir in against the taller Crows makes more sense. He'd be a good defender to stick on McGovern, who is athletic and good in the air but who doesn't have the majority of forward entries directed towards him.

Quote Originally Posted by tasswan View Post
    Adam Curley just tweeted that Sam Reid has quad tendon damage and out for at least 8 weeks, Melican out for 2 with a quad
    Argh! He made such a difference to our structure. Too soon for McCartin? Can Newman play forward? Or Aliir?

With Reid and Melican both out I�d bring in Marsh and Newman and give Aliir another week or two to get himself right.

Rohan as a deep marking forward whilst Reid is out which is where I like him best personally

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Papernick View Post
    With Reid and Melican both out I�d bring in Marsh and Newman and give Aliir another week or two to get himself right.

Rohan as a deep marking forward whilst Reid is out which is where I like him best personally
    Agree. I wrote a long, rambling post in another thread about why I reckon bringing Aliir in this week would be a mistake. Marsh +1 (and Newman has stronger claims than most) makes sense.

We do, however, need to wait and see whether Rohan will be named in the team. Melbourne is a lot closer than Perth and the time away is shorter (just overnight, I presume) but he still may not want to travel.

It's a shame (for him and the team) that Dawson has had another interrupted pre-season and isn't yet available. Many of us want to see him get some opportunities in the senior team. Although generally plays in the midfield at NEAFL level, he'd be capable of providing a semi-tall option in the forward line in the absence of Rohan and/or Reid. He's a good mark and plays a bit taller than he really is.

Surely Jones is one of the ins this week, plus a lock down defender, which would have to be Marsh or Aliir (if fit).

If Rohan is staying in Sydney what about someone like Rose? Or is that crazy talk?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast