Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 4 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    The best part about last nights game is that it moved us up a position on the ladder
    Last edited by aguy; 14th April 2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    The best part about last nights game is that it moved us up a position on the ladder
    Worst part is it downgraded our Pies second rounder! Murray played well again.

Murray is another product of our selection approach of preferring older players who the club's 'owes' for past deeds, instead of developing youngsters.

How many young guns do we need to lose ?.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Murray is another product of our selection approach of preferring older players who the club's 'owes' for past deeds, instead of developing youngsters.

Agree with this. I really felt he was ready for a few games in the back half of last year but I do admit our win streak made that difficult. People early on refusing to admit how good he is looking may have to revalue that trade as a perhaps a loss for us, (although at the time it was universally praised) and if the Pies continue to play the way they are now the pick will be somewhere in the 30's.

I really hope Ling or Stoddart can offer us similar play to Murray because we have lacked that attacking flair for years. Ling didn't show me much last week but I know it was only his first hit out. You do only look for flashes though with young players and I didn't see one myself, time will tell...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Murray wasn't lost, he was traded, and for good compensation at that. The club is producing AFL quality players at a faster rate than can be absorbed, so some will have to be let go. This is actually a good thing, as we can use our superior recruiting and development to improve our position in future drafts, thus creating a positive feedback loop in the rate of quality player development.

The club hasn't found the need to enter the post season player meat market and overpay older players to fill holes in the club's roster, helping to keep the club roster youthful. Trading players like Mitchell and Murray has actually helped keep the club younger, not older, as you suggest. They are exchanged for draft picks which lowers the average age of our list. We also have an excellent retention rate of quality young players, in part due to the fact that we haven't overpaid for mature aged players from other clubs.

When our young recruits do make it to the senior list, they benefit from playing alongside club champions like McVeigh. How good is that?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Murray wasn't lost, he was traded, and for good compensation at that. The club is producing AFL quality players at a faster rate than can be absorbed, so some will have to be let go. This is actually a good thing, as we can use our superior recruiting and development to improve our position in future drafts, thus creating a positive feedback loop in the rate of quality player development.

The club hasn't found the need to enter the post season player meat market and overpay older players to fill holes in the club's roster, helping to keep the club roster youthful. Trading players like Mitchell and Murray has actually helped keep the club younger, not older, as you suggest. They are exchanged for draft picks which lowers the average age of our list. We also have an excellent retention rate of quality young players, in part due to the fact that we haven't overpaid for mature aged players from other clubs.

When our young recruits do make it to the senior list, they benefit from playing alongside club champions like McVeigh. How good is that?
    +1

Veterans List

How many young guns do we need to lose ?
    How low on the ladder do you want us to go? It's a result of being a strong team, year in, year out.....we develop plenty of young players but they have to wait a bit longer. He's a product of our club recruiting to stay strong. Or would you prefer a Carlton style rebuild......where all the youngsters can have a go?

Murray wasn't lost, he was traded, and for good compensation at that. The club is producing AFL quality players at a faster rate than can be absorbed, so some will have to be let go. ....
    Trading players like Mitchell and Murray has actually helped keep the club younger, not older, as you suggest. How good is that?

Pretty bad. I could buy what kool aide you are selling if we were dominating and winning flags, but since we aren't wining premierships losing players like Mitchell and murray, and who is next? Newman?

Pretty bad. I could buy what kool aide you are selling if we were dominating and winning flags, but since we aren't wining premierships losing players like Mitchell and murray, and who is next? Newman?
    If we could get a second rounder for Newman in the upcoming draft like we did for Murray then I�d be more than happy with that.

Looks like Carlton's season may have peaked in March. Brendan Bolton: this year's first sacked coach?

Senior Player
    Some people on this site would have a meltdown or drop off completely if we ever missed the finals even for a short period. Don't appreciate how spoilt we've been this century.

+1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast