Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Confidence in the AFL

pr. dim-melb; m not f

No Confidence in the AFL

Rather than adding this issue to the existing threads and taking their discussion off thread I thought it bet to start a new thread which consummately picks up a frequent gripe. The link is to an article by Martin Flanagan and is the most scathing summary of what is wrong with the AFL I have read

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...12-p4z9as.html

A comment that sums up much of what is wrong:

"The AFL clearly thinks it's pretty good at what it does. In 2016, the AFL had 12 executives making nearly 50 per cent more than the Prime Minister in terms of salary."
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Rather than adding this issue to the existing threads and taking their discussion off thread I thought it bet to start a new thread which consummately picks up a frequent gripe. The link is to an article by Martin Flanagan and is the most scathing summary of what is wrong with the AFL I have read

"The AFL clearly thinks it's pretty good at what it does. In 2016, the AFL had 12 executives making nearly 50 per cent more than the Prime Minister in terms of salary."
    Fantastic.

Just googling the PM's salary, it's almost $530,000. That means that the AFL has 12 people on around $800,000 or more. Seems a touch excessive. It would be interesting if somebody could ask each of them, what benefits they have brought to the game: just to see if any of them, could come up with something other than corporate gobbledygook.

Did you have any confidence in the AFL before?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Did you have any confidence in the AFL before?
    A long time ago I did have some confidence - like back in the 90s when I rediscovered the Swans and started watching the game on a regular basis. But the confidence has been eroded over time, the most disturbing items being the failure to act on the booing of Adam Goodes until the horse had well and truly bolted, the sheer spite over the signing of Buddy, the total silence in regard to the umpiring of the 2016 GF - I could go on, as I am sure others could also. A shame, as the game remains a wonderful experience, despite the League's shortcomings. I don't have confidence that this will be so in time to come without a few changes to the administrative side.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    All this while they continually hike ticket prices and consequently lock those less fortunate out of the game. Their chief reason for existence is to make the sport more accessible, not less.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Maclaughlin is sending the sport under. I just learnt he signed the worst stadium deal in Australian sport for the sun's, and a non negotiation period of 20 years.

He wants the national comp to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Maclaughlin is sending the sport under. I just learnt he signed the worst stadium deal in Australian sport for the sun's, and a non negotiation period of 20 years.

He wants the national comp to fail.
    Do you have a reference you can point? Easy to make slanderous allegations with no backup

Regular in the Side
    A long time ago I did have some confidence - like back in the 90s when I rediscovered the Swans and started watching the game on a regular basis. But the confidence has been eroded over time, the most disturbing items being the failure to act on the booing of Adam Goodes until the horse had well and truly bolted, the sheer spite over the signing of Buddy, the total silence in regard to the umpiring of the 2016 GF - I could go on, as I am sure others could also. A shame, as the game remains a wonderful experience, despite the League's shortcomings. I don't have confidence that this will be so in time to come without a few changes to the administrative side.
    100% agreement. The 2016 GF umpiring was pure and simple deliberate bias officiating in order to give the Dogs a Premiership. I�m still bitter and with consequently never trust the AFL.

And the decision.to have a team in the �Bermuda Triangle� Gold Coast rather than the footy mad Tasmania was an example of a poor strategic policy.

Face it all the non-Victorian clubs are there for one reason n one reason only, to make money for the Melbourne clubs.

Perfect example is this article

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/ins...13-p4z9jq.html

The whole contract for the premier game of the year to determine the best side of the year was used to allow Victorian clubs to gain a few bucks.

Ahh well I�m happy I watched my local sides game yesterday n had a ripping time.

As for Sydney I still have a big soft spot for them n if they are on tv n I�m home I�ll watch but what I�ve seen of the AFL over the last 4 years has totally destroyed my love for that league.

The added bonus was that everything I cancelled due to losing interest in AFL has saved a lot of money.

Hope you all enjoy the season. Cheers

Veteran Site Admin
    I am losing faith in the AFL's vision of a truly national competition. The Vic centred bias seems to have strengthened in recent years, particular under Gillon's watch, not diminished.

The Academies in the Northern States were a great (though long overdue) initiative to increase the quality of coaching in the 10-18 year old age group right across those two states, with an increased contribution of elite talent being just one desired outcome. Greater participation at all levels (as the lift in quality filtered down to the sub-AFL tiers and beyond) was just as important, as was giving these clubs as way of connecting with young players and their families regardless of whether these young players went on to become AFL quality players.

Yet we saw the benefits watered down within a few short years, with the Giants' zone in southern NSW diluted and restrictions on how many players could be drafted. At the time the Giants' zone was cut, Gillon commented that he didn't understand why players who fell into the TAC Cup zone were ever eligible. I don't totally disagree with that, but the AFL then proceeded to give Victorian clubs priority access to indigenous and multi-cultural players who all fall into the TAC Cup and private Melbourne school zones. I don't think there has been much real impact of these concessions (yet) but just their introduction smacks of concessions to the Victorian clubs based on no actual contribution to the growth of the game and development of talent.

And over the last few years, two new stand-alone, potential "marquee" fixtures have been introduced into the calendar - ANZAC Eve and Good Friday. There was lots of discussion over many years about Good Friday football and, aside from the "religious considerations", one of the reasons for not having football on that day was that the C7 Children's Hospital Appeal was an integral part of the day in Victoria and they didn't want to detract from that. Fine, but there are four other major population centres in Australia with AFL teams for whom the C7 appeal is not relevant, so why not play football in another state on that day. But just as soon as they got over the religious considerations, they go and establish yet another stand alone game on that day featuring two Victorian teams.

I have no idea how the fixed ANZAC Eve fixture crept onto the calendar. But now it too seems set to stay and again, it's between two Victorian sides. What was wrong with giving Freo, say, the chance to feature in such a fixture. I think they were lobbying the AFL for many years for a second ANZAC day game, something the AFL resisted. So why not give them (or Port) the chance to host the ANZAC Eve fixture every year if any club is going to get a mortgage on certain fixtures?

The news of contract to extend the MCG's stranglehold on the GF really comes as no surprise. To me, it's not purely about where the GF is played (and clearly the size of the MCG provides lots of reasons to play the GF there). It's more that a back room deal has been brokered by the Melbourne clubs, establishment, government and AFL without any open discussion about whether it's in the best interests of the broader competition.

I enjoy going to the SCG and watching the Swans, but I have no illusions regarding the bigger picture. The cynical creation of GWS, the 2016 Grand Final, and other instances, suggest that this is not a sport but a business. Due to my realisation of this, I am enjoying the game more for what it is, and seeing it more as entertainment rather than sport.

I love the Swans, love going to the SCG and sometimes take a trip interstate, but I don't have any trust in the administration in Melbourne. Basically, whilst I used to watch games involving other clubs, and take an interest in the wider competition, I now only watch the Swans and take an interest in their progress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast