Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 4, Sydney Swans v Bulldogs, 4:35pm 14/04 Etihad @sydneyswans #AFLDogsSwans

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes

8 Heeney
    5 Macrae
    4 Naughton, Parker
    3 Rampe
    2 Franklin, McLean
    1 Suckling, Williams

Breakdown is straightforward to work out and once you do it's very strange as Heeney is the only player that received votes from both coaches.

• Suckling, Williams 1-0
    • Franklin, McLean 2-0
    • Rampe 3-0
    • Naughton, Parker 4-0
    • Macrae 5-0
    • Heeney 5-3

Very bizarre. I thought that Macrae was clearly the Dogs' best, and it's odd that one coach had him BOG and the other not in the best five. And almost as surprising that only one of them rated Parker's game. I also can't see Longmire having voted for Buddy given that the most he could have given him last week against the Giants, in a far more influential role, was one vote. And Naughton????

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    See all this time we thought Aliir looked ineffective and lost at CHF because of his inexperience when in fact it was the brilliant defence of Naughton that limited Aliir�s game.

Veterans List
    MRP

Dan Hannebery can accept $1500 sanction, instigator a melee.
    Lachlan Hunter can accept 1 game, rough conduct on T Papley.
    Hunter is a much disliked player by most fans, constantly playing for high contact and the umps get sucked in too often. This latest ugly act just adds to the loathing for him.

See all this time we thought Aliir looked ineffective and lost at CHF because of his inexperience when in fact it was the brilliant defence of Naughton that limited Aliir�s game.
    Good point! It must have been Beveridge who gave 4 votes to Naughton, since it vindicates his choice of putting their best tall defender on the dangerous Aliir, while leaving others to worry about the middling Franklin.

BTW, I think Naughton has been the pick of the draft so far and I would have him in front for the Rising Star.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    MRP

Dan Hannebery can accept $1500 sanction, instigator a melee.
    Lachlan Hunter can accept 1 game, rough conduct on T Papley.
    Just on Dan Hannebery. Article in today's Herald Sun suggesting he is past his best and is lucky to get a game. Combined with JPKs demise, it looks like we need to get a couple of new mid-fielders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Just on Dan Hannebery. Article in today's Herald Sun suggesting he is past his best and is lucky to get a game. Combined with JPKs demise, it looks like we need to get a couple of new mid-fielders.
    That is a shame to hear. If that is the case we might need to plan a gradual rebuild of the midfield and take a look at some of the younger players earlier than expected. We need to be prepared in case we suddenly lose several top midfielders.

Senior Player
    Article in today's Herald Sun suggesting he is past his best and is lucky to get a game
    Most of his key stats improved year on year up to 2016 and have declined since. So technically, he may be "past his best". Not sure about lucky to get a game though.

He has barely had a preseason. He was still getting around the ground and turning up in the right places, which was always the best part of his game. Happy to give him a few weeks.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Very bizarre. I thought that Macrae was clearly the Dogs' best, and it's odd that one coach had him BOG and the other not in the best five. And almost as surprising that only one of them rated Parker's game. I also can't see Longmire having voted for Buddy given that the most he could have given him last week against the Giants, in a far more influential role, was one vote. And Naughton????
    I agree, I'm very surprised only one coach voted for Macrae (especially) and Parker.

I agree with Ludwig that it must have been Beveridge who nominated Naughton. Noting that, he can't have given the top 2 votes to players from his own team! I reckon that resolves 5-3 from both. I'm not sure re the two votes, although Buddy was a little down on recent weeks. Suckling made some errors; don't reckon his own coach would vote for him.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb:

Beveridge:
    5 Heeney
    4 Naughton
    3 Rampe
    2 Franklin
    1 Williams

Longmire:
    5 Macrae
    4 Parker
    3 Heeney
    2 McLean
    1 Suckling

Hanners doesn't quite have that zip in his game since the groin problems of last year. It may take him a while to get back to that massive work rate that makes him such a good player. He's only 27. I think he will do it. Lots of players have sluggish periods due to injury and work themselves back into top form.

JPK had a rare off game. I certainly wouldn't write him off either.

The midfield seems to be going through a bit of a makeover with a lot more positional rotations. We see more variation in individual performances form midfielders than before when just a few players dominated the on ball time.

The team as a whole is not quite right at the moment. The forward line won't be right until Reid gets back. The first thing to work on will be to fortify the defence once Melican and Aliir are both fully fit. And then we'll how that goes and what the possibilities are of releasing Mills into the midfield.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 16th April 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    That is a shame to hear. If that is the case we might need to plan a gradual rebuild of the midfield and take a look at some of the younger players earlier than expected. We need to be prepared in case we suddenly lose several top midfielders.

Fake news. Will take a while to run into form after injury. If you took what was in the Herald Sun seriously and at face value, you would end up severely misinformed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hanners just needs some more time I think - to build up fitness. I thought he improved on Saturday and will get better as the season goes on.

All players - even the best ones, have peaks and troughs. We all know JPK will be good to go when the big games roll around.

I do think our midfield group is a bit down as a collective per say so far this year - but its only 4 weeks in, and we are 3-1, so no time for alarm bells yet!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."