Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V Adelaide

I don't think we need to play another tall forward if we don't have one who's ready to play at AFL level. I don't think Cameron is quite there yet, mainly due to a lack of the physicality necessary to play at senior level. This is the difference that has most accounted for Sinclair's improvement this year. He contests the ball better and is marking it better too.

If Rohan is back training now, I would think he would play. He's a far better option than Cameron in the forward line.

Aliir usually plays an aggressive physical type of game, which wasn't evident on Saturday, where he looked more concerned about screwing up by getting in Buddy's way. He didn't really play poorly, he just didn't see much of the action, but what he did he did pretty well. He should be more comfortable playing in defence. I haven't been all that impressed by Maibaum yet, but think he's on a solid development track. He seems that he will be more in the mould of a Grundy or Melican if he does make it to the senior team. We need to get Aliir up to speed, because of the kind of skill set he brings to the defence. AJ would be the next best shot at that, but he hasn't even played NEAFL yet this year. We have put too much reliance on Rampe to both defend taller than his height would dictate and lead the counterattack as well. We need another tall weapon. Aliir plays in the style of Rampe. We need to get him up the same level of competence. Right now we be in serious trouble is another chain got in Rampe's path.

If Rohan is available, he is the most obvious to play as a deep forward. He is listed at 189cm and has a good leap and often marks it at its highest point. The fact is, Reid and Tippett out have meant we are severely short in the forward line while we wait for some young ones to develop.

These are our players listed at 189cm or greater:
    Sam Naismith 205
    Darcy Cameron 204
    Kurt Tippett 202
    Callum Sinclair 200
    Lance Franklin 199
    Sam Reid 196
    Lewis Melican 195
    Aliir Aliir 194
    Jack Maibaum 193
    Tom McCartin 192
    Heath Grundy 192
    Josh P. Kennedy 190
    Jordan Dawson 190
    Gary Rohan 189
    Dean Towers 189
    Dane Rampe 189
    Harry Marsh 189

We do need another marking target forward. Allir back and Grundy forward?

The other option is to play Aliir/Towers more in the ruck and Sinclair forward. Jacobs will beat Sinclair anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    If Rohan is available, he is the most obvious to play as a deep forward. He is listed at 189cm and has a good leap and often marks it at its highest point. The fact is, Reid and Tippett out have meant we are severely short in the forward line while we wait for some young ones to develop.

These are our players listed at 189cm or greater:
    Sam Naismith 205
    Darcy Cameron 204
    Kurt Tippett 202
    Callum Sinclair 200
    Lance Franklin 199
    Sam Reid 196
    Lewis Melican 195
    Aliir Aliir 194
    Jack Maibaum 193
    Tom McCartin 192
    Heath Grundy 192
    Josh P. Kennedy 190
    Jordan Dawson 190
    Gary Rohan 189
    Dean Towers 189
    Dane Rampe 189
    Harry Marsh 189
    I think the criteria for tall forward starts at 194cm. Maybe 192cm at a pinch. I doubt anyone calls Joey Kennedy a 'tall', or any below that.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think the criteria for tall forward starts at 194cm. Maybe 192cm at a pinch. I doubt anyone calls Joey Kennedy a 'tall', or any below that.
    I agree. I think what this list shows is how thin we currently are in terms of �talls�. If we are a player in the trade and FA market, I suspect it will be for more depth here.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Give Rohan some space for a few weeks. He needs to spend time with his family. They need him more than we do.
    It sounds like it will be up to him. I can think of plenty of reasons why he might or might not play but there�s really no way of knowing.

I�m glad the club is giving him room to make the right decision for himself and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    It sounds like it will be up to him. I can think of plenty of reasons why he might or might not play but there�s really no way of knowing.

I�m glad the club is giving him room to make the right decision for himself and his family.
    He can choose to make himself available. But it's up to the club, not him, whether he plays seniors or two's.

If it were me, I wouldn't play I've had time to a) grieve and b) setup for a new baby, and if I did play I think the anomimity of the two's would be where I would start.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    I would have thought that the main thing to have come out of the Bulldogs game is that we must have an alternative forward marking target to allow Franklin to roam. If he plays as a static forward, he's much easier to double-team, plus we lose out on his intimidating round-the-ground play. When you watch him live (as opposed to TV) you realise just how much the opposition @@@@ themselves when he runs at the ball.
    With that in mind, Cameron seems the best option to come into the seniors in place of Aliir. Aliir looked seriously underdone on Saturday, and will have done his confidence no good at all. Plus, he's a natural defender - he kept wanting to plug holes rather than find space. Cameron is a better mark then Aliir, and he seems quite at home when he takes a rotation in the forward 50. And if Cameron takes the odd stint in the ruck, it gives Sinclair the chance to go forward and be the marking target.
    Watched the replay of the game. Allir wasn't that bad in bringing ball to ground and applying pressure if that was his role. Haven't seen Cameron but would be surprised if he could apply as much forward pressure as Allir who will be better of for the run. Rohan will probably replace him if he is mentally ok to play, otherwise I would leave Allir in. Would also leave Hayward in despite poor game. Has a touch of magic about him and will only get better.

With the Crouch brothers out, I can see George Hewitt being set on Sloan and doing his outstanding job of nullifying a prime contributor of theirs. Hewitt is having a great season so far

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Watched the replay of the game. Allir wasn't that bad in bringing ball to ground and applying pressure if that was his role. Haven't seen Cameron but would be surprised if he could apply as much forward pressure as Allir who will be better of for the run. Rohan will probably replace him if he is mentally ok to play, otherwise I would leave Allir in. Would also leave Hayward in despite poor game. Has a touch of magic about him and will only get better.
    Because Aliir has been in the limelight for a couple of years I think we forget that he's still a complete novice. He looked lost playing forward, and really had no idea where to position himself. If there was a stoppage on the wing, Buddy was constantly calling him to move into the space in the pocket, but as soon as the ball was back in play he would get sucked back into defensive mode. His lack of experience and match fitness made him a passenger for much of the game. He desperately needs a fixed role to focus on, and a few weeks in the NEAFL to hone his skills before being thrown into the deep end again.

Cameron won't star in the seniors, but he's well drilled in the technique of the ruck/forward, and can play a supporting role for both Sinclair and Franklin. Certainly, Rohan can play full forward if selected, but I think we'd get the most out of Buddy if Sinclair and Cameron were also rotating in the goal square.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    With the Crouch brothers out, I can see George Hewitt being set on Sloan and doing his outstanding job of nullifying a prime contributor of theirs. Hewitt is having a great season so far
    Will Sloane even make the trip though? He looked pretty unfit from the little bit I saw on the weekend...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast