Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 5 Weekly Discussion Thread

Thanks Liz. I also found that statement and table but I can�t find the full 2018 Guidelines.

In the 2017 Guidelines (not on AFL website lol) offences are divided into
    1. CLASSIFIABLE OFFENCES
    2. DIRECT TRIBUNAL OFFENCES
    3. FIXED FINANCIAL OFFENCES

Misconduct came into the third category in 2017.

Incidentally in the introduction to those 2017 Guidelines it is said that a change to be introduced in 2017 was that �Selected jumper punches and strikes to the head that have insufficient force to constitute a Low Impact offence will be processed as a fixed financial sanction under Attempt to Strike.� Now that would have made more sense re Mitchell�s strike than calling it misconduct.

But who knows what is what in 2018 as the Guidelines are not readily available. Another example: Higgins getting knocked out has been deemed to be the result of an accidental head clash = no action. Only a few years ago the Guidelines explicitly stated that if a player chooses to bump and it causes a head clash, the player will be held accountable for the outcome. I think it was Fyfe? who received a (contentious) suspension under this ruling. I am not opposed to the apparent change in the way head clashes are judged - but I am not aware that the change has been made explicit.

Eddie is hotly denying he is the human headline promoting ED and is still doing OK .
    ( The Project) .
    He was actually quite bearable .

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Here's the full tribunal rundown Blockbuster Tribunal LIVE from 5pm AEST - AFL.com.au

I watched the North/Hawks game and missed that Sicily stamp. What a scumbag he's proving to be. It's not just an anger problem when he does that calmly off the ball.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Here's the full tribunal rundown Blockbuster Tribunal LIVE from 5pm AEST - AFL.com.au

I watched the North/Hawks game and missed that Sicily stamp. What a scumbag he's proving to be. It's not just an anger problem when he does that calmly off the ball.
    Yes, the deliberate, calculated way Sicily made that leg stamp was a bit chilling!

I�m puzzled about the way the AFL has handled this (and I say �AFL� as it is now clear that the claim of a one-man MRP is nonsense, Christian is just the front man for the AFL).

They said at the Tribunal that the two parties had already discussed and agreed a one-match penalty would be appropriate. If that is what the AFL thought, why did they grade it as �serious misconduct� and not simply �misconduct� with a one-match penalty without Tribunal involvement?

Also, when Hocking announced the new match review arrangements it was said that �Cases referred directly to the Tribunal will attract at least a three-week suspension save for exceptional circumstances.� Yet the AFL was satisfied with a one-match penalty. So again, why refer it to the Tribunal?

Answering my own question above, I think if Sicily�s act had been graded only as �misconduct� without the �serious� added, it would have been only a financial penalty. Clearly AFL wanted a suspension. Good outcome.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Answering my own question above, I think if Sicily�s act had been graded only as �misconduct� without the �serious� added, it would have been only a financial penalty. Clearly AFL wanted a suspension. Good outcome.
    Good analysis
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

How come non Victorian teams don't get these marquee date games?

#AFL Round 5 Weekly Discussion Thread

Following the Joel Selwood appeal at the Tribunal, Selwood�s defence is �Thomas made me do it Sir�. Lol! It seems I�m the only one who was concerned about Thomas�s head bouncing into the turf as it hasn�t been mentioned. I think Selwood is about to get off. Wouldn�t be an an outrageous outcome - although it would be a win for retaliatory action on the field.

Update: yep, cleared. So we will see J Selwood next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post

Yes, having just looked at the replay, it seems that he has a quick glance, to see if an umpire is watching and then decides to go the stamp. Classy guy.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    How come non Victorian teams don't get these marquee date games?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..........The A(V)FL's oxygen.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Following the Joel Selwood appeal at the Tribunal, Selwood�s defence is �Thomas made me do it Sir�. Lol! It seems I�m the only one who was concerned about Thomas�s head bouncing into the turf as it hasn�t been mentioned. I think Selwood is about to get off. Wouldn�t be an an outrageous outcome - although it would be a win for retaliatory action on the field.

Update: yep, cleared. So we will see J Selwood next week.
    I actually hoped he'd get off (before I realised we are playing Geelong next). When I first found out he'd been reported, I thought it was ridiculous, there was no jumper 'punch', a glancing blow at best. As for Thomas's head, I don't think it hit the ground that hard, so I'm not surprised he's free to play. I like players flying the flag for their team mates but yes, it is a pity we are playing them this week.

Veterans List
    At times last year I was thinking that Joe Daniher could be the next Buddy. From what I have seen this year so far and today.......he's no Buddy and I doubt he ever will be. Oh and Sam Murray continues to impress.......
    Last edited by stevoswan; 25th April 2018 at 06:10 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast