Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 5, Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows, 7:50pm 20/04 SCG @sydneyswans #AFLSwansCrows

Fifteen points and too much crab football put us out of the winning habit .

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I think it was another case of the opposing coach/team knowing our game plan, exactly how we will play and just working out a plan to counter it and executing it. We managed to play 'our' way for about one quarter. We have so many small players - Jack, Paps, Florent, Jones, Hanners, then Macca, Lloyd, Cunningham, Parks plus those like Hayward who can't t make their tackles stick or take contested marks against bigger or stronger opponents.
    It's not the size of the man but the size of the heart. You don't have to be a big man to make a tackle stick or take a contested mark. You just need to be willing to commit to the contest and have some footy smarts.
    Besides Hayward made 7 tackles, 2nd highest swan and 3rd most pressure acts on the ground. He had a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I wonder if Michael Talia is at the ground?
    Doubt it, he�s playing for Norwood in the SANFL competition.

I found it interesting looking at some of the stats. Buddy spent 122min on the ground. Assume he didn't come off much, if at all. But
    Rohan - 76min
    KJ - 87
    Jones - 90
    Towers - 90
    Hannebery - 94
    Hewett - 94
    So Rohan was brought back as another marking target up forward but played 2/3rds a game. Towers is useful in forward 50 as well but reduced time on ground. And when our midfield was well beaten, Jones, KJ, Hannas and Hewett all had limited time on the ground. Are they not fit? Or did we get our rotations wrong?

OH my goodness...that was an incredibly frustrating and hard game to watch. Just home from the SCG and my blood is still boiling. Some thoughts...
    * Our midfield...so lauded and yet our big names are seriously out of touch. JPK, Hanners, Parker, Jack just having next to no impact around the ball. After the Crows 'B Grade mids' ripped us a good one, I shudder what may happen at the Cattery next week.
    * The coaching - to continually allow Crows to have 3-5 loose men in our forward line up until final 5 minutes was baffling. The number of times we kicked to an outnumbered contest was disgraceful.
    * Missing Naismith and Reid really showed tonight....we do not have a marking option for the quick get out of trouble kick long down the line, someone to at least bring the ball to ground. When Naismith was rucking, Sinclair could provide that role but currently as the sole ruckman he is too busy and puffed chasing his man all around the field. I thought Allir last week actually provided the 'get out' option quite well and yet dropped tonight. We also need another lead up forward desperately...is McCartin ready for a debut? Something needs to change.
    * Lastly the umpires...so consistently inconsistent it was abysmal. Same 2 out of the 3 umps that poorly umpired the Swans v Port game too. Free kicks paid to Crows were not paid to the Swans. 4-5 goals for them from direct free kicks. Nothing ever changes here so why am I surprised??

Now onto next week, the Cattery. This will go two ways...either a fighting, back to wall 6 point win or we'll lose by 10 goals. Nothing in between.
    Swannies for life!

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    It's not the size of the man but the size of the heart. You don't have to be a big man to make a tackle stick or take a contested mark. You just need to be willing to commit to the contest and have some footy smarts.
    Besides Hayward made 7 tackles, 2nd highest swan and 3rd most pressure acts on the ground. He had a crack.
    Yes, but how many effective tackles! Sure, individually they are all good players and each has their good moments during the game but collectively the team is unbalanced. Kicking out of defence down the line you have Isaac Heeney flying above the pack taking marks. The others are just pushed out of the contest, just like at centre bounces.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Never suggested he would of made a big difference, all i was saying was we need another tall up forward to give some structure in the forward line. Buddy cant do it all.
    Exactly. At least Aliir last week was making some contests and taking a bit of pressure of Buddy. Strange that we tried that for one game and then dumped him. Tonight was a succession of bombing it long to a Buddy outnumbered 2 or 3 to one. He's not even a high making forward. Dumb stuff, but few other options. No structure up there.

Buddy should be free to roam and do his thing, not try to pluck an unlikely mark from a pack. That's not his thing.

Horse out coached and mids destroyed. The scoreline flatters us.

I cannot believe how many times we kicked long down the line from our defensive 50 to a contest (which we lost).

They seemed to have no problem moving the ball except in the third quarter when we put some pressure on.

Josh Francou just moved from the Swans to the Crows. I wonder how much inside information he took with him? Otherwise how else do you explain the complete shellacking our mids received? I didn�t realise how badly they were beaten AND Sinkers did ok in the ruck.

If we continue to play and move the ball like that, this year is a write off.

Maybe it�s time for the annual truth session�? Amongst the players? I�m not convinced that Longmire is the man for the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Talking about momentum; why on earth did Hayward kick back to Jones on 50, instead of kicking on 45 degrees at about 20 metres.
    Because Buddy told him to in quite vehement terms. With a nanosecond to think through his options Hayward did as instructed. Hayward is a good kick for goal so I agree it was a shame. Then again, Jones should probably have kicked it anyway.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Because Buddy told him to in quite vehement terms. With a nanosecond to think through his options Hayward did as instructed. Hayward is a good kick for goal so I agree it was a shame. Then again, Jones should probably have kicked it anyway.
    Sort of connected to this comment, but Buddy was well off tonight. One of those nights he loses confidence, gets frustrated and it unravels.

I don't know how the AFL Player Ratings work, but Gary Rohan was our highest rated player for the game, followed by Heeney, McVeigh, Jones, Lloyd, Towers and Cunningham.

The lowest rated was Hayward, followed by Papley, JPK, Reg and Hanners.

See:AFL Player Ratings (@AFLPlayerRating) | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I think we currently have the worse mid fieldin the AFL. Kennedy, Parker and Hannebury look like old men trying to play a young man's game. So bloody slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The funny thing, when defending the Mitchell trade, a poster on here rates them all above Mitchell!!!