Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 5, Sydney Swans v Adelaide Crows, 7:50pm 20/04 SCG @sydneyswans #AFLSwansCrows

Warming the Bench
    There is lots of anger directed at the umpires but the free kick count was very close by the end. I can hear some of you saying it's the timing and field position of the frees that make a difference, not just the number.
    We've all heard the saying 'Who dares wins', 'luck favours the brave', 'persistence beats resistance', etc. The AFL wants positive, fast, open footy. We hear the term 'the rub of the green'. My observation from watching AFL games is that 'the rub of the green' changes over the course of the game. I have a theory that the umpires are 'encouraged' to favour the team that is taking the game on and playing attacking footy. This may account for what we think of as inconsistent umpiring.
    If the Swans basic footy style is contested/congested/ stoppage based play then we may be always complaining about the umpires. IMO we are always going to get a raw deal if we continue to play this way.
    A while back Al Clarkson said 'we don't give a stuff about contested possessions'. But it's what he didn't say that might be more important. They care a lot about uncontested marks and possessions. The team that controls the ball controls the game.
    The swans spend way to much energy playing contested footy. There is way too much 'kick it long to a contest' or 'just kick it towards Buddy even if he is double tagged'. We give up control of the ball too easily. This was so obvious against the crows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    we may be always complaining about the umpires.
    I think some people on RWO have hit this point some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    There is lots of anger directed at the umpires but the free kick count was very close by the end. I can hear some of you saying it's the timing and field position of the frees that make a difference, not just the number.
    We've all heard the saying 'Who dares wins', 'luck favours the brave', 'persistence beats resistance', etc. The AFL wants positive, fast, open footy. We hear the term 'the rub of the green'. My observation from watching AFL games is that 'the rub of the green' changes over the course of the game. I have a theory that the umpires are 'encouraged' to favour the team that is taking the game on and playing attacking footy. This may account for what we think of as inconsistent umpiring.
    If the Swans basic footy style is contested/congested/ stoppage based play then we may be always complaining about the umpires. IMO we are always going to get a raw deal if we continue to play this way.
    A while back Al Clarkson said 'we don't give a stuff about contested possessions'. But it's what he didn't say that might be more important. They care a lot about uncontested marks and possessions. The team that controls the ball controls the game.
    The swans spend way to much energy playing contested footy. There is way too much 'kick it long to a contest' or 'just kick it towards Buddy even if he is double tagged'. We give up control of the ball too easily. This was so obvious against the crows.
    Clarkson said that at a time when the Hawks were down the bottom of the ladder and had won 5 of 40 contested ball counts. The metric itself is deceptive, which was his main point, as it's similar to hit outs - it doesn't indicate effectiveness.

The simple read on Friday night - we didn't get first hands on the pill and our forward line was unaccountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I sort of remember Macca calling the SCG our Fortress.

But I think I must have misheard him. He probably said the SCG was our Mattress. When we play there, we just want to lie down and go to sleep.
    LOL! I'll pay that! Was disappointing but a crushing hard played game. They are going to be sore after that. Predicting the team will be back with a vengeance against Geelong. Looking forward to sitting in the stands to watch them play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    I'm glad the Cats won yesterday. They (like most teams) seem to come out with a vengeance after a loss. That doesn't mean they'll be complacent against us next week - the fact that we're the only team to have notched up several wins against them at KP over the last few seasons will probably have them on their guard - but they won't be under the pump in the media as they were in that SF, and as the Crows were last week.

On the veteran's list
    Looking at Hawks game. Clarkson has to go! His game plan is now outdated. No plan B. Possibly lost the players. Lucky to have had the list to win four flags! Hawks should be looking for someone like Longmire

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Looking at Hawks game. Clarkson has to go! His game plan is now outdated. No plan B. Possibly lost the players. Lucky to have had the list to win four flags! Hawks should be looking for someone like Longmire
    It's certainly not the scoreline I'd expect at half-time. This round has been a nightmare tipping wise.

Senior Player
    LOL. Don't hold your breath TBC waiting for any criticism of Clarkson from some on this forum! On a more serious note, it looks as if the AFL draft system, salary cap etc might have finally produced a competition where a lot of games are difficult to pick a winner in. Happens in USA with NFL where a lot of teams can rise quickly in each season and a lot of teams win a fair amount of games. May not need as many wins for finals and top 4 this year but there might be a lot of contenders.

Warming the Bench
    Flew up from Melbourne for the game
    Was really looking forward to sitting around swans supporters and enjoying that atmosphere.
    Unfortunately i was seated in the middle of about 10 crows supporters.
    The fact that they were winning from the get go really didn't help the atmosphere.
    Felt like i was at Footy park.

From the ground level i really got a feel for how bad our disposal was not only exiting the back 50 (which was dismal)
    but also entering the 50

We have been terrible all year with our skills and you can talk about clearances, coaching, set ups or injuries
    but the skill level is the reason we are either losing or almost losing.
    If we had hit targets by hand or foot on Friday night the pressure would've been released and centre clearances would not have mattered.

Agree with most about Buddies game. Didn't seem to want to take a set shot and played lazy.

Also i was sitting behind the goals when Papley snapped the goal.
    It was clearly touched and correct decision was a point.

Not sure how we correct the ball skills except training but at least it's something that could change quick

I wonder if Longmire would ever say this?

Clarko to review own role in shock loss - AFL.com.au

Clarkson: "I've got to take some responsibility, and we as a coaching group, on why we didn't have our players in the same sort of desire and hunt for the contest as the Kangaroos side. But there will be times in the next few weeks where it just evaporates from the Kangaroos system as well. It's bloody hard to maintain for 22 rounds of the season."

Poor Big Cat. He's been waiting for weeks to post this and no one recognized the sarcasm.

Clarkson's plan B was executed in the 3rd quarter. However, Scott is quite a canny coach, and was able to counteract it by 4th by blocking the corridor.
    In the end, the margin was just too big.