Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V Adelaide

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar

Changes for Rnd 5 V Adelaide

Right here we go:

Our back line can't have both Newman and McVeigh in it: both are too slow.

Like a scratch record Hayward has go; 5 touches and 4 tackles is a totally joke.

Also Adelaide has Laid and Seedsman, two of the best rebounding defenders in the league.

If we do not have forward pressure we will be toast!!

Bring in O'Riordan, 23 touches, and Ronke, 10 tackles in the Seconds.

AA given other chance, and is JPK injury; his output lately has really being down.
    doof-doof

Given Adelaides lack of fire power in the midfield....Both Crouch's injured, Sloane carrying a foot injury. Also looks like Betts may miss with a hamstring....

If Kennedy is carrying some kind of injury. Either rest him, or play him as our 'stay at home' FF.

If Kennedy rested, then Rohan to play FF.

Buddy to roam.

Mills to the midfield.

Aliir back to the backline.

Hewitt to tag Laird

So...

IN : Rohan
    OUT : Kennedy (if injured) or Hayward/ Newman.... Depending on match ups
    Last edited by ernie koala; 16th April 2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Couldn't catch Crows at a better time, no Crouch brothers, no Betts, Sloane carrying a foot injury, Tex Walker also not firing, Jacobs down on form.

Need to nail this one after the so so performance against the brave Dogs.

Changes? unlikely knowing Horse but Ronke must be getting close to a run as a pressure forward who can find the ball which is what we need to counter the Laird/Seedsman run off half back.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Given Adelaides lack of fire power in the midfield....Both Crouch's injured, Sloane carrying a foot injury. Also looks like Betts may miss with a hamstring....

If Kennedy is carrying some kind of injury. Either rest him, or play him as our 'stay at home' FF.

Mills to the midfield.

Aliir back to the backline.

Hewitt to tag Laird

Rohan up forward, to chase and tackle.

Buddy to roam.

So...

IN : Rohan
    OUT : Newman/ Hayward (Depending on the weather/matchups, as to whether we want an extra defender or attacker)
    I think that is an excellent summary koala.

I agree with everything you�ve written. I would Leave our Newman and bring in Rohan and push Aliir back as you say to help with their tall forwards.

This is on the proviso that Rohan is psychologically ready to play this weekend obviously.

If jpk does need a rest then maybe it�s fox back in. But is that pure speculation about him?

I can�t disagree with anything written so far.

Aliir was not great against the dogs, but he did apply some pressure in the first quarter. He looks underdone to me but given our lack of tall options I think we need to play him into fitness through the firsts. (I think Reid is going to have a go at AJ�s record for most games missed due to injury). Also our backs are not in the best form so maybe he can get something going down there.

Much the same comment applies to Hanners - down on fitness but needs game time.

Rohan has to come back if he�s available and Newman looks like the one to go. His value proposition is his disposal efficiency, and that was not great against the bulldogs.

Hayward was so good last year but has fallen away. Needs to spend more time deeper in the forward line or perhaps go back to the twos to gain some confidence. Not sure who we would bring in for him though.

Senior Player
    Hayward was pretty good against the giants. A young guy who is going to have up and down games. I think he stays for now.

And I loved Florents goal at the end. Not just because it sealed the win but because I really rate Florent and I think it may Mark a coming of age sort of moment for him and give him the confidence to take the game in a bit more. Really good signs for him

I got the chance to see Stoddart play in JLT cup up here in Brisvegas. He looked really good, seemed quite strong overhead and actually played well when pushed forward. Good offensive tackler and pretty good shot on goal. Maybe its time for Will to spend some time in NEAFL, as much as I like his play at times. He seems very up and down and I wonder whether Ryley is worth a go? Also caught the first NEAFL game and Amartey looks a prospect, maybe not now but later in the season?

I think Rohan might come in for Newman, who I is more suited to a wing position than defence at AFL level. He's not a good 1 on 1 defender and can be exploited, but his kicking through the midfield is quite useful.

Aliir had a perfect night out in the ruck. 1 contest, 1 hitout to advantage. He looked to be on instructions not to do anything special, just keep out of trouble. He missed his one highlight opportunity when he flubbed an easy goal chance. Goes to the backline this week.

I would consider bringing in Ronke for Hayward this week. The only problem I have with Hayward is his lack of effective pressure, which Ronke should give us.

Give Rohan some space for a few weeks. He needs to spend time with his family. They need him more than we do.

Hayward is a keeper. One bad game isn't a reason to drop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I got the chance to see Stoddart play in JLT cup up here in Brisvegas. He looked really good, seemed quite strong overhead and actually played well when pushed forward. Good offensive tackler and pretty good shot on goal. Maybe its time for Will to spend some time in NEAFL, as much as I like his play at times. He seems very up and down and I wonder whether Ryley is worth a go? Also caught the first NEAFL game and Amartey looks a prospect, maybe not now but later in the season?
    Great to have you posting and welcome to the fold Ralph Dawg. You could have posted this as well in the NEAFL thread.

I think Hayward is continuing to excel this year. Only his last game, against the Giants, was almost breakout with more time in the midfield than last year and to good effect. Like aguy said, young fellas gonna have their ups and downs. He's in front of Stoddart for mine (although didn't see the NEAFL yet). Remember Florent's first game was quiet and against the Giants too - but then he had great games against the Power and Dogs. I'm really glad we are investing in these guys because we see bright futures for them and they will be more seasoned by the time finals come around if we choose to play them then.

I'm more in the camp that Aliir needs to be given time to find form at NEAFL level. He's a great prospect but needs to rediscover his 2016 form. I think if we want to tighten our defence for the Crows bring in Marsh for Newman - he's a tad taller and offers more defensively (and less offensively). If we're not willing to play Marsh, then he should be delisted at season's end (which, I have to say, is on the cards subject to how the season unfolds). If Rohan's unavailable and they're thinking of using Aliir forward again, they might almost give McCartin a go ahead of Aliir. McCartin has the work-rate and competitiveness for that type of a role and can make a contest, bring the ball to ground and apply pressure even if he isn't a huge goal scoring threat. But hopefully Rohan just comes back into the side, which I think is most likely given the game is at home.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think Aliir was a forced inclusion, because we didn't have anyone else tall. (Though it's not exactly an endorsement for Cameron, given we'd have hoped by now he'd be ready to come in, at least as a last resort.)

I think Aliir stays this week but goes back to defence. We need him against the tall Crows (though I suspect they may not be quite as tall this week as they were last). We really do need another marking target in the forward line to give Buddy the chance to roam around a bit. Our injury list isn't long compared to other teams but the injury gods have certainly taken out their anger on our taller brigade. To lose Naismith after Tippett's retirement was cruel enough, but then to lose Reid medium term and the impressive and improving Melican short term was a cruel blow. Rohan's temporary absence, though not strictly a tall, didn't help.

I understand that the coaches see Hayward rotating through the midfield in the long term - even the medium term - but I'm not convinced it's working right now. He's still very lightly built. On the other hand, he's a good contested mark for his size and build, and it's something we're crying out for in our forward line. I don't really understand why he's not playing predominantly as a forward at the moment. If we had Buddy, Rohan (assuming his imminent return), Hayward as more or less permanent forwards, plus Parker and Heeney rotating through the forward line, we'd have enough aerial power. The trouble is, with Hanners a way off his best and JPK strangely subdued so far this season, Parker and Heeney are needed in the midfield for extended periods.

McCartin was pretty impressive in the first half of the NEAFL game. (Like everyone else, I didn't get to watch the second half). I wouldn't have thought he's ready yet for senior football but if the coaches really do want a taller target and Rohan isn't available, maybe they'll spring a surprise and bring him in.

Swans to wait on Rohan's availability for big clash - AFL.com.au

SYDNEY has placed no expectations on Gary Rohan's availability for Friday night's massive clash with Adelaide at the SCG, but the forward has returned to the club.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast