Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

IN: Melican, Aliir, Ronke
    OUT: Hanners, Jack, Hayward

Dropping 3 players who haven't been giving us much the past couple of weeks. I can't see us missing them.

There are good matchups for us with Reg, Melican and Aliir in the backline, taking Hawkins, Ratugolea and Menzel. I like Aliir on Menzel as Menzel doesn't like to defend so Aliir can provide a tall marking outlet to help get us out of defence. We are really struggling in this area.

Rampe is freed up to look out for Dangerfield and Menagola drifting forward. Both are too big for our smaller defenders to handle. In fact, Geelong have a lot of big midfielders who like to drift forward and kick goals.

Mills to the midfield. Lloyd to see more midfield time as well. Smith and Macca to handle the small forwards.

We played Adelaide with an average height of 186.2 cm and weight of 85.9 kgs compared to the Geelong team at 188.8 cm and 88.5 kgs. and that was without Hawkins. Perhaps a zippy team can counter the size differential with pace, but I don't think that's the case with us. We need to do something to close the gap.

Hewett to tag Tom Stewart. He took Corey Enright's number 44 and he's playing like him too. He's been terrific this year and playing as well as Rampe in a similar role.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 22nd April 2018 at 03:52 PM.

Senior Player
    Ludwig you make a lot of sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Ludwig you make a lot of sense to me
    I can recommend a psychiatrist.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    What do people think of possibly trying Melican In the forward line. Then bring Aliir into the back line
    Allir to play forward again. Wasn't that bad against bullies and structure worked ok. Leave Melican back. He's a potential gun down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Allir to play forward again. Wasn't that bad against bullies and structure worked ok. Leave Melican back. He's a potential gun down there.
    I agree with this. It might actually be a better option for Aliir as I can't see him overtaking Melican as a defender in the near future. AA is a player without a position at the moment. Melican is not.

Hayward can't seem to gell with Rohan so one has to go. Rohan's first half (mainly matched up with BOG steadsman) means he's out.
    I'd bring allir back in, even if he has to play forward. Jack needs to get out of he middle and play forward pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I agree with this. It might actually be a better option for Aliir as I can't see him overtaking Melican as a defender in the near future. AA is a player without a position at the moment. Melican is not.
    This is because Horse has stubbornly, with the exception of the 2nd half v ADE, insists on playing Mills as the +1 in defence. If we play Rampe in that role, which is his best, then there is a position for Aliir in defence. If he doesn't have a matchup, then he can play on the wing or go forward. He can swap with Sinclair in the ruck and forward positions. It wouldn't hurt if we could be a little less predictable and so easy for the opposition to have all week to work on a game plan to beat us. There certainly are good matchups for tall defenders v Geelong, so why not?

The other point worth making is that if you have a tall athletic player, like Aliir, you have to try to find a role for him. They are not easy to come by. Especially true since we without Reid for the moment. It would seem a lot more important to develop Aliir as a competent AFL player now than Hayward. Plenty of time to let Hayward physically develop when he will surely be a very valuable player.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hayward can't seem to gell with Rohan so one has to go. Rohan's first half (mainly matched up with BOG steadsman) means he's out.
    I'd bring allir back in, even if he has to play forward. Jack needs to get out of he middle and play forward pocket.
    Check this out barry. Rohan was our highest rated player by the AFL. Hayward our worst. So you want to drop our best player and keep our worst. Jack was playing as Half Forward Lurker, waiting to pounce on an opposition mistake. I don't think he did much else.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Every time the journalists tried to draw him on structural issues in the forward line, he came back to the failure of the midfielders to win the ball.
    He is right, although I would still say it's a 'structural issue' that as soon as we stop dominating contested ball, we push all our forwards up and then have nothing to kick to whenever we do gain possession (or have Buddy outnumbered 3/1).

A lot is said about Longmire's rigid Plan A approach, and I assume he was saying 'I told you so' to his assistants when in the press conference he also said something to the effect "we made a change in the last quarter and Adelaide kicked 2 goals".

Allir was terrible up forward against the Bulldogs, and they rightfully abandoned that experiment - but we desperately need another tall to play forward. If Cameron is half fit I think he has to play - he is a natural forward and would stretch and under-sized Geelong defence, but also can have a go in the ruck to release Sinclair forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    He is right, although I would still say it's a 'structural issue' that as soon as we stop dominating contested ball, we push all our forwards up and then have nothing to kick to whenever we do gain possession (or have Buddy outnumbered 3/1).

A lot is said about Longmire's rigid Plan A approach, and I assume he was saying 'I told you so' to his assistants when in the press conference he also said something to the effect "we made a change in the last quarter and Adelaide kicked 2 goals".

Allir was terrible up forward against the Bulldogs, and they rightfully abandoned that experiment - but we desperately need another tall to play forward. If Cameron is half fit I think he has to play - he is a natural forward and would stretch and under-sized Geelong defence, but also can have a go in the ruck to release Sinclair forward.

I took Longmire's observation that the Crows kicked two goals once he tried to even up the numbers as a further dig at his midfield, who couldn't get their hands on the ball first. It's hard to come up with a winning structure unless you can win a decent share of the ball at ground level. It wasn't that we weren't dominating contested ball on Friday. We weren't getting close in the first half, and in the second half were still being beaten at centre bounces even if contests around the ground were evened up somewhat.

I don't think there's any point in playing Cameron unless they think he can put himself in dangerous spots. Otherwise the Geelong defence will just peel off him and effectively have another spare in defence. It's close to impossible to tell from watching NEAFL footy whether Cameron yet has the know-how because the forward line is even less structured than at senior level. It is mostly a case of just get the ball in somehow and see what happens (which is partly why the NEAFL team's goal conversion has been so ordinary in the opening couple of rounds of the season).

Dear Liz, the AFL review of the game doesn't have Rohan in the best list, and he had 3 kicks to half time. Three. Worst of all players and his opponent seedsman was bog.
    I can't explain how he got any afl player rankings at all for that first half. Can u?

His first goal was from a mark from a miskick off the ground. Lucky because he was hopelessly out of position once again.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Allir was terrible up forward against the Bulldogs, and they rightfully abandoned that experiment - but we desperately need another tall to play forward. If Cameron is half fit I think he has to play - he is a natural forward and would stretch and under-sized Geelong defence, but also can have a go in the ruck to release Sinclair forward

ALlir at least got to contests against Bulldogs and brought ball to ground. This didn't happen v crows

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dear Liz, the AFL review of the game doesn't have Rohan in the best list, and he had 3 kicks to half time. Three. Worst of all players and his opponent seedsman was bog.
    I can't explain how he got any afl player rankings at all for that first half. Can u?

His first goal was from a mark from a miskick off the ground. Lucky because he was hopelessly out of position once again.
    If the AFL rankings interest you, I suggest you go and do some research on what they measure and how. I have no idea. They are of no interest to me.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast